Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What is the justification for banning FMJ rounds at outdoor ranges?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 391 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default What is the justification for banning FMJ rounds at outdoor ranges?

Just curious about something. A local outdoor range, Quail Creek, does not allow FMJ rounds at the rifle range. This is a real pain because .223 FMJ is typically cheaper, MUCH easier to find, and the outdoor ranges are cheaper.

However, from what I understand the other outdoor ranges also ban FMJ. Why is that?

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

My Firearm Reviews -
Beretta U22 Neos
Magnum Research Baby Eagle II .45 ACP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #2

Liked 211 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Beats me as so many match grade bullets could also be classified as fmj as not all have that tinny little hp in them.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #3

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That makes absolutely no sense to me. The only range I've ever been to was, that was a "real" one, was in side of a mall. There all they sold/used was FMJ, that was from 9mm up to 50AE.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 349 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 606

I've never heard of any range banning FMJ.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Because idiots shoot at metal plates that are too damn close with fmjs and people get hit with ricochets.
We've been dealing with a new member at our club that claims to be an instructor but can't seem to grasp the rules of the range.
He insists upon shooting plates at 10 yards or less when the rules clearly state a minimum of 25 yards. He is also dumb enough to do this with fmjs and multiple people have reported being hit by his ricochets.
He is no longer aloud to shoot plates because he can't follow the rules. Often times it is easy to cast a blanket rule (no plates or no fmjs) than it is to single out the problem people in a group of 1300.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Jpyle Likes This 
Old 08-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #6

Liked 204 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Most ranges will ban any ammo that tends to tear up their equipment, tracers, steel perpetrators and yes FMJ. I like shooting the 62 grain steel core bullets and they will do a lot of damage. Some J.A. undoubtedly tore up their target holders with FMJ and so the rules. Also when shooting steel plates FMJ will go completely through the plates (expensive) depending on distance. (30-06 for example.)

Their place, their rules, if you don't like it go else where.
Jim

Last edited by bigjim; 08-19-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #7

Liked 391 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
Their place, their rules, if you don't like it go else where.
That is actually what I have ended up doing.

However, I was curious as to why all the same. I have not been out there and was going to ask a range officer whenever I made it back. Quail Creek is a pretty good drive though but the closest outdoor range to my house.

Oddly, they do not have steel plate targets at the regular rifle range and all of their target holders are just wood boards. It's pretty simple and cheap. So not getting the justification.

I had heard a rumor that it was for insurance purposes but never did get it verified. Couldn't tell if it was pure speculation.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

My Firearm Reviews -
Beretta U22 Neos
Magnum Research Baby Eagle II .45 ACP

Old 08-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2600 Times on 1367 Posts
Likes Given: 202

We have an outdoor range near me that does not allow FMJ's. They say they have an increased ricochet danger and there are houses down range, over the hill. This range is also well known for their "range NAZI", so I do not care to give them my business. Even the local indoor ranges allow FMJ

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

gunnut07 Likes This 
Old 08-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
That is actually what I have ended up doing.

However, I was curious as to why all the same. I have not been out there and was going to ask a range officer whenever I made it back. Quail Creek is a pretty good drive though but the closest outdoor range to my house.

Oddly, they do not have steel plate targets at the regular rifle range and all of their target holders are just wood boards. It's pretty simple and cheap. So not getting the justification.

I had heard a rumor that it was for insurance purposes but never did get it verified. Couldn't tell if it was pure speculation.
All outdoor ranges around DFW prohibit FMJ rifle rounds. They all have a better chance of ricochets,and also do damage to the backstops.
It also curtails most urban gangbanger types from coming to most ranges,because they have to buy good ammo for their AK's. LOL!

It's all for Safety issues,and insurance purposes. They aren't doing it to just piss people off.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 08-21-2013, 01:53 AM   #10

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

The one I go to allows fmj but no plates, AP, tracers or incenerary. Each lane has a wood shack that you shoot from (bench and offhand). 25 yard, 50 yard and 100 yard lanes. The 50 yard lane has a live mouse living inside the window frame on the right bench. The one I go to is in mongo, Indiana. It's a dnr, free to shoot, first come first serve range.