What happened to Winchester Arms?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What happened to Winchester Arms?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What happened to Winchester Arms?

A guy I know told me they went under... then I noticed a Youtube video mentioning that Winchester don't sell particular models any more. But I ordered a catalog from them last week, and just got it in the post this morning!

So did they go bust or not? I know it's a bad economy, but I can't work out whether they still manufacture or not. Nobody answered the company phones this afternoon.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-22-2010, 11:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
A guy I know told me they went under... then I noticed a Youtube video mentioning that Winchester don't sell particular models any more. But I ordered a catalog from them last week, and just got it in the post this morning!

So did they go bust or not? I know it's a bad economy, but I can't work out whether they still manufacture or not. Nobody answered the company phones this afternoon.
I may be wrong on this. I often am wrong,especially when talking to my wife, but I understood they were divvied up and somebody got the ammo part and somebody else got the gun part and a third got their clothing line. That is what I understood anyway, and the gun portion went to someone that is a gun maker like FN or Browning et c.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:01 PM   #3

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I believe Browning now owns Winchester firearms. I believe Hodgdon now owns Winchester powders and whatnot.

When I call Browning, they answer as "Browning/Winchester."

Old 09-23-2010, 12:43 AM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

FN owns the rights to the Model 70. Browning owns the rights to a few other firearms. Now Browning is owned by FN as well.

Hodgdon bought out the powder part along with IMR. Hodgdon, winchester, IMR are all made by HODGDON.

Winchester it's self as the original company died a long time ago.

Here is a better article than I can put in here.

Winchester Repeating Arms Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-23-2010, 12:48 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Actually,The Olin Corporation,owns Winchester,Browning,F.N. and several other companies.
They closed the old Winchester plant,and then started producing the Model 70 in North Carolina along with other brands of bolt action rifles.

The model 94 lever action was dropped,but then they started to build high end versions,along with other models of lever actions and falling block actions in the Japan plant that also builds alot of Brownings.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:05 AM   #6

Aw man, it's like a "who owns who" of firearms manufacturers. So, the main question I have is: is the model 70 still as good as it ever was, or did the buyout affect how the products were made, or the quality of parts in any way?

Sometimes when a company buys out another company they tinker with things, and sometimes it ain't good...

Old 09-23-2010, 02:37 AM   #7

Yes it is. FN makes quality firearms and weapons systems and have for a very long time.

FN has been around since 1889. So they must be doing something right.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Actually,The Olin Corporation,owns Winchester,Browning,F.N. and several other companies.
They closed the old Winchester plant,and then started producing the Model 70 in North Carolina along with other brands of bolt action rifles.

The model 94 lever action was dropped,but then they started to build high end versions,along with other models of lever actions and falling block actions in the Japan plant that also builds alot of Brownings.
Olin owns Winchester Ammunition. Herstal Group owns WInchester, Browning, and FN.

Winchester has been bought and sold and split a few times so it is hard to keep straight.

Olin

Herstal Group

Winchester Ammunition is a totally different company than winchester firearms.

In 1931, Western completed its integration into small arms and ammunition with its purchase of the legendary Winchester Repeating Arms Co., which had been founded in New Haven, CT, in 1866. Winchester also greatly expanded production during World War I, but to absorb the excess capacity and pay down debt it made a disastrous foray into manufacturing and selling hardware goods, from roller skates and refrigerators to batteries. This failed experiment eventually drove Winchester into receivership and led to its sale to the Olins and Western Cartridge in 1931. The Olins quickly ended Winchester's foray into the hardware field, paring it down to its core competencies in arms and ammunition.