What gun would you reach for? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

What gun would you reach for?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 04:36 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

while I own a 5.56 I am saying if I had to bug out I am grabbing the socom and the 45.I want something that has some balls to it.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:13 PM   #22

My vote would be for an M1A. M14 is a proven military design, but the REAL issue is range. The official "max effective range" of a 223 firing M4 is 660 meters. The max effective range of the 7.62x54 NATO standard is 1100 meters, and that's only because that's the burnout range of a tracer, making it the max effective range of the naked eyeball. The REAL max range is in excess of 1100 meters if you use a scope. 660 meters versus 1100 meters usually means you can hit the bad guys way outside THEIR range envelope. 'nuff said.

The M1A is heavier, as is the ammo. But I won't be doing much in the way of LRRP's in the future. If I have to walk the perimeter and do want something lighter, I have a Saiga 308 (essentially an AK chambered in 308) which is smaller and lighter. It should be noted that the military is not totally happy with their 5.56mm weapons and are issuing more and more M14's, especially in unit (NOT School-Trained) sniper roles and throughout Special Forces units.

Sticking with ammo which should remain available if SHTF is important. I carried a 45 in the Army and we used to joke that its max effective range was as far as you could throw it. The military uses 9mm now, but I prefer the bigger 40cal round. Since it was developed by the FBI and is popular with LEO's, I prefer 40cal in a sidearm.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:06 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

there is a reason the why army took the M14 out of moth balls

Old 10-31-2010, 05:40 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH-1 View Post
there is a reason the why army took the M14 out of moth balls
Yep, and there is a reason it is not legal to hunt with a .223 cal in many states. As per my state law; .223, 5.56mm (same cal, different FPS according to the reloading manuals) or anything less than .30 cal is illegal due to unethical killing. They don't want people shooting an animal and making it bleed out to die. In the same context, I don't want someone that can keep shooting back at me able to recover... If I miss center mass, I want to completely take out the limb. If the good guys have to depend on head shots, they're already disadvantaged.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:47 PM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Colt Survivor (Medusa, Multi-caliber) it can safely fire more than 25 different calibers. So, what I finds, I shoots...

http://www.kitsune.addr.com/Firearms/Revolvers/Medusa_Model_47.htm

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 10-31-2010 at 06:49 PM.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:15 AM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

A scoped rifle like an M-4 clone. A sort of Mini-SASS in .223 caliber. That way I'll have lots of ammo, precision shots courtesy of the scope and a fairly short rifle that is easy to carry.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:20 AM   #27

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonniew09 View Post
All of them. I really dont even want to think about that, not that i wouldnt fight. But when you consider taking on the US military w/ a few bolt action rifles and maybe 2000 rds ammo. they have tanks, missles, grenades, etc. Oh and very well trained. i have seen what they did to the iraq and afgani army. It would be a very short and still bad bad day to fight those guys. oh ya they also have F18s and cobras
Yes, but the situation in which the US military would take up arms against Americans is not one I can imagine. In many cases, they would more likely take up those arms on the side of the revolting force.

I can only see them fighting against Americans if the revolt movement was very small and regionally limited (such as a single-state secession).

As for the question posed: my .223 AR-15 slung over my arm and my 1911 .45. I think I need to buy more ammo, huh?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 11-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #28

My Mini-14 Ranch and Sig P220 Elite......
"The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." - James Madison, author of the Second Amendment
NRA: Certified; Home Firearm Safety, Certified; Pistol, Certified; Refuse To Be A victim, Range Safety Officer, Ohio CCW Instructor.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #29
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3500 Times on 1931 Posts
Likes Given: 1020

Dont plan too far ahead as you may have to grab them sooner than your think. These are very dangerous times and I am scared of this government. Right now I am trying to buy unregistered.