Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What gun would you reach for?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 03:33 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default I'd give my wife the Glock but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post
In all seriousness, what firearm or firearms would you reach for and why?
First = FNAR (bull barrel version) with all 5 full mags. Because my AR15 is just a range toy when it comes to knockdown force. Plus the FNAR does not fail. It holds 20+ rounds in one clip, has enough penetration power to do the job. The extra mass is less affected by windage. Plus it just plain sings when I'm behind the trigger. I hit 6" plates @ 200yds outdoors consistently with it. It's a semi-auto that outshoots my Savage bolt 30.06 (no joke!). This is with a simple Leupold MKV 1-3X dot that can illuminate but is etched for constant reticle. I have no desire to scope up. Gas piston driven=reliable. It's like a high end AR on steroids, if the AR owner ponies up the $ for a piston system. Hell, it was originally adapted from the Browning BAR and that's hard to beat. The availability of .308 or 7.62X 51 will not be an issue.
Second = SA 1911 Mil-spec SS loaded with as many loaded mags that I can find. This is gonna be a hard sell but I believe; in my personal arsenal, that this would be the best side arm. Good knock down power and reliable enough. I might have to think about this since I have a few wheel guns that pretty much cannot fail. I think the winner goes to the quick reloadable semi-auto here. It seems 9mm is a good option since it is soo plentiful but I have that covered as well. It would come down to what I was stocked up with ammo at the time. Good knock down power in a close distance trumps my 9mm (assuming I'm comparing normal ball ammo) but only if I have enough on hand. Enough would be 5 boxes each, I think (enough to fill each mag once). As far as interchangable parts for repair go...Hmmm. I'm not gonna stop to salvage PARTS. I'm takin' the whole freakin' gun and I'll worry about the rest later. The rest would be a pack with bug out gear.
Alright man, I gotta stop there. I have Flight of the Valkyrie stuck in my head... Again. Two times a day is my limit.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Last edited by fixxer; 10-29-2010 at 11:34 PM.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:42 AM   #12

Although the two scenarios resemble only "Third-World" situations (or a G-12 meeting, where the global anarchist groups always look for any excuse to burn cars/loot), I would first make sure that my wife has about two weeks of refrigerated insulin for her pump (Type One diabetes).

As nobody would be shooting at our house from 100 yards away (from a car between rows of houses), which type of compact gun is best should not matter.
The SKS always has a few loaded stripper clips nearby, and I keep these hidden in the car trunk each time when driving several hours to visit anybody. For an ideal pair, the SKS and Enfield Jungle Carbine are both easy to carry, hold ten rds. (no mags to remember), but .303 is not so easy to find compared to .308, 30-06 etc.

Our house has No resemblance to an isolated Roman villa in ancient Britain etc, with bands of invading Saxon or Celtic tribesmen roaming the countryside to pillage and murder (270, 330 BC etc), while many cohorts of soldiers have left to support their general's bid for Emperor on the mainland.

Last edited by Laufer; 10-29-2010 at 04:05 AM.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #13

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxer View Post
First = FNAR Because my AR15 is just a range toy when it comes to knockdown force.
Hmm. I'll make a deal with you. You put on a vest and let me shoot you with an AR-15 in .223/5.56 at 30M and if you stay on your feet I'll buy you a steak and a beer. Deal?

Old 10-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann1 View Post
Hmm. I'll make a deal with you. You put on a vest and let me shoot you with an AR-15 in .223/5.56 at 30M and if you stay on your feet I'll buy you a steak and a beer. Deal?
Are you going to aim for the vest?

Old 10-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann1 View Post
Hmm Lets make another deal, you put on an identical vest and I'll shoot you with a .308/7.62x51 and I'll buy you a steak dinner and a 12pk if you don't have serious internal injuries.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Last edited by fixxer; 10-29-2010 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Threw in a 12 pack. Ever-gracious me!

Old 10-30-2010, 12:00 AM   #16

What I'd Grab =
1. M1A - NM Heavy Barrel with Troy SASS Upgrade
2. Rock River LAR 8 with Laser, 3x9 Scope and piggy backed red dot
3. Browing BPS with extended mag and aimpoint
4. Kimber Super Carry Custom, always on my person.

Why go in to clear a house when I can just shoot through it with either of my 308's?

ROMANS 12:21 - Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.!
US ARMY - '56 to '65 - SFC
Happiness Is Having Been An Airborne Ranger And Still Being Alive To Brag About It!
SUA SPONTE

Old 10-30-2010, 02:17 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

DDD how much did that SASS run you? i really want a socom or socom2 like the short barreled m14.

Now on topic. id have to say personally id grab my ar and my xdm thats what im most comfortable with. but my wife would have the mossberg 500 and a side arm ( that i havent bought her yet). plus id like to have a m14 in some form and a few .22's arounds for small game. i dont think you can have just one gun to do it all. some times you need more some times you dont need so much...

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Old 10-30-2010, 11:24 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

life member DAV.
"If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe."

Old 10-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

DinkyDauDon, who did the grips for your Kimber?

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 10-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #20

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
One. It's probably the most popular auto-loading rifle in America, making parts easy to come by.

Two. It's chambered (most often) in one of the most popular calibers in America making ammo easily obtainable, probably even in the event of a government collapse. (.223 ammo would likely become a sort of currency). It can provide man-stopping power in close and has decent enough ballistics inside 300 yards to be an acceptable hunting round for deer sized and smaller game. Shotguns would rule for small game like rabbit, squirrel and game birds of course.

Three. It's a time tested and reliable design that if well cared for, can provide years of trouble free and life protecting performance.
Not gonna argue...just add a Four:

The AR platform is engineered for this type of use, is easy to strip and clean, is modular in design making emergency repairs as simple and quick as swapping in a new upper or lower and can be completely disassembled and rebuilt by a skilled user in about 2 hours. Add to that the availability and interchangibility of all parts and you have the best choice in SHTF rifles. IMHO...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington