Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What gun would you reach for?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What gun would you reach for?

Lets say that America is thrown into a depression and fighting breaks out in the cities over foreclosed homes that no one is buying. It turns into almost a revolution to get everyones homes back by force.
You are caught up in the middle of the chaos, what gun do you reach for in this bug out situation?

Okay, extreme scenario numero dos.
America is thrown into a revolution against a corrupted and powerful government that is growing ever stronger. Mixed with things like heavy taxes, no jobs and foreclosed homes the people revolt. You decide to join what will be known as a poor mans army. What do you reach for?

Both scenarios have a possibility (maybe slim but you can't rule it out) of happening and thus deserve serious thought. In all seriousness, what firearm or firearms would you reach for and why?

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #2

AK-47 or Mini 14/30, and a 45 ACP sidearm !

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 10-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #3

My XD9 and one of my ARs. Why because both calibers are readily available and worse of the worse I'd expect the corpses of others to contain such ammo on there "person". 5.56 is a military round so I'd also expect that rd to be floating around somewhere in mass as well. Over run a stockpile maybe??

[http://mercop.wordpress.com
http://www.themensroomonline.net/

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Certified (Traveling) Notary State Of FL

Last edited by SecPro; 10-20-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #4

[QUOTE=saviorslegacy;371319] You decide to join what will be known as a poor mans army. What do you reach for?

Wait! I already did that in 1966, but it was called the US Army and most of us were pretty darn poor!

I'd have to go with my M1A. Kinda nice to be able to shoot thru things and ruin the other guys day. Besides, there should be plenty of 7.62x51 laying around you can strip out of the links for ammo re-supply.

And I would'nt forget my 9mm 1911A1, It's my favorite carry weapon. - I know, I have plenty in .45ACP but I've carried this Springer so long its like an old friend!

I gotta change your scenario some though. I'm too old to care and too fat to run, so I guess the targets would need to come to me!

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 10-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #5

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Get a copy of "Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse." It is written by survivalist blogger James Wesley Rawles SurvivalBlog.com , and is based on the scenario you describe. It is available on Amazon. I have a copy of the latest edition and have read it twice (so far.)

A "poor man's army" as you describe it, is called the militia. Not the weekend warrior wacko anti-government militia, but the actual, legal militia. I don't think there has been a militia call up in modern times, but it is still federal law, US Code, Title 10, Chapter 13, sec. § 311.

To answer your question, I believe I am well prepared to provide for me and my family, and perhaps a couple of neighbors if needed. I don't like going into detail about my availability of arms on forums. They are monitored by federal law enforcement.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 10-23-2010, 12:12 AM   #6

All of them. I really dont even want to think about that, not that i wouldnt fight. But when you consider taking on the US military w/ a few bolt action rifles and maybe 2000 rds ammo. they have tanks, missles, grenades, etc. Oh and very well trained. i have seen what they did to the iraq and afgani army. It would be a very short and still bad bad day to fight those guys. oh ya they also have F18s and cobras

Old 10-23-2010, 01:29 AM   #7

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default A very thought provoking question

Hi All. New member here. I word or three about me: I'm a 39 yr old cauc. male, a true son of Texas and a firm supporter of my second amendment rights.

This is something that has been on my mind more and more the past year or so. As I grow a bit older and more worldly-wise (I hope) I am increasingly dismayed at the greed that has infected what I think is still the greatest country on Earth. But it's not the country my parents grew up in and it seems to be in a downward spiral. Not many people talk about Enron these days. But being a resident of Texas I was very close to that horrible situation and I can tell you that it was a "perfect storm" of greed and it is only one manifestation of the sickness that this country suffers from at all levels. That debacle went all the way up to the White House that was occupied by George W. Bush, former Governor of Texas and close family friend of Kenneth Lay. (for those that only read gun forums and not newspapers. *wink*)
Yes, I know that as long as the shopping mall is within a hour drive and the shelves are full of Blu-Ray players, Calvin Kline and the newest cell-phones and there is Starbucks in the coffee isle at the grocery store a revolution is a slim possibility. But I fear that in a serious economic depression, where people had to steal to eat, it could get really bad and really fast.

So. Suppose the country does dissolve into chaos. It's likely that military warlords will stake out territories for regional supremacy. Any "Joe Citizen" would be wise to get him and his family on the good side of the closest faction early, even join it in arms. Coal and petroleum fuel would likely be the basis for any sort of economy (just like now) and civil engineers learned in such technologies and skilled tradesmen (machinists, electricians etc.) would be highly prized and coveted while corporate executives, salesmen and marketing/advertising types would find themselves doing menial labor for their daily ration of resources (doesn't sound too bad).

For the person who was just trying to survive in that world and had to use a gun to do that, the AR-15 is the logical choice. Whatever sidearm you can get ammo for would be OK to keep on your person at all times. But as far as a "I need this gun to survive" weapon, the AR-15 gets the nod for three reasons.

One. It's probably the most popular auto-loading rifle in America, making parts easy to come by.

Two. It's chambered (most often) in one of the most popular calibers in America making ammo easily obtainable, probably even in the event of a government collapse. (.223 ammo would likely become a sort of currency). It can provide man-stopping power in close and has decent enough ballistics inside 300 yards to be an acceptable hunting round for deer sized and smaller game. Shotguns would rule for small game like rabbit, squirrel and game birds of course.

Three. It's a time tested and reliable design that if well cared for, can provide years of trouble free and life protecting performance.

Personally, in a scenario like this, I'd probably band together with family and friends as far away from conflict as possible in a remote area, where "rationing" did not exist and the land provided. In this sort of environment the AR-15 would serve, but bolt action rifles in .243, .22-250, .270 and .30-06 would be most desirable, along with shotguns. Land near a body of water with plentiful fish would be ideal as game would become harder to find over time, making it necessary to range further, increasing risk. Domestic animals larger than chickens might prove a liability.

I truly hope that sweeping changes are made in our government that make it possible to stem the greed that is taking us away from the vision that our founders had and fought and died to create.

Edit: One other thought. Moving out of country likely wouldn't be an option since the US economy is such a huge factor in global economics, other countries would be likely just as bad and in all probability, worse.

Last edited by cswann1; 10-23-2010 at 01:48 AM.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:07 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann1 View Post
Hi All. New member here. I word or three about me: I'm a 39 yr old cauc. male, a true son of Texas and a firm supporter of my second amendment rights.

This is something that has been on my mind more and more the past year or so. As I grow a bit older and more worldly-wise (I hope) I am increasingly dismayed at the greed that has infected what I think is still the greatest country on Earth. But it's not the country my parents grew up in and it seems to be in a downward spiral. Not many people talk about Enron these days. But being a resident of Texas I was very close to that horrible situation and I can tell you that it was a "perfect storm" of greed and it is only one manifestation of the sickness that this country suffers from at all levels. That debacle went all the way up to the White House that was occupied by George W. Bush, former Governor of Texas and close family friend of Kenneth Lay. (for those that only read gun forums and not newspapers. *wink*)
Yes, I know that as long as the shopping mall is within a hour drive and the shelves are full of Blu-Ray players, Calvin Kline and the newest cell-phones and there is Starbucks in the coffee isle at the grocery store a revolution is a slim possibility. But I fear that in a serious economic depression, where people had to steal to eat, it could get really bad and really fast.

So. Suppose the country does dissolve into chaos. It's likely that military warlords will stake out territories for regional supremacy. Any "Joe Citizen" would be wise to get him and his family on the good side of the closest faction early, even join it in arms. Coal and petroleum fuel would likely be the basis for any sort of economy (just like now) and civil engineers learned in such technologies and skilled tradesmen (machinists, electricians etc.) would be highly prized and coveted while corporate executives, salesmen and marketing/advertising types would find themselves doing menial labor for their daily ration of resources (doesn't sound too bad).

For the person who was just trying to survive in that world and had to use a gun to do that, the AR-15 is the logical choice. Whatever sidearm you can get ammo for would be OK to keep on your person at all times. But as far as a "I need this gun to survive" weapon, the AR-15 gets the nod for three reasons.

One. It's probably the most popular auto-loading rifle in America, making parts easy to come by.

Two. It's chambered (most often) in one of the most popular calibers in America making ammo easily obtainable, probably even in the event of a government collapse. (.223 ammo would likely become a sort of currency). It can provide man-stopping power in close and has decent enough ballistics inside 300 yards to be an acceptable hunting round for deer sized and smaller game. Shotguns would rule for small game like rabbit, squirrel and game birds of course.

Three. It's a time tested and reliable design that if well cared for, can provide years of trouble free and life protecting performance.

Personally, in a scenario like this, I'd probably band together with family and friends as far away from conflict as possible in a remote area, where "rationing" did not exist and the land provided. In this sort of environment the AR-15 would serve, but bolt action rifles in .243, .22-250, .270 and .30-06 would be most desirable, along with shotguns. Land near a body of water with plentiful fish would be ideal as game would become harder to find over time, making it necessary to range further, increasing risk. Domestic animals larger than chickens might prove a liability.

I truly hope that sweeping changes are made in our government that make it possible to stem the greed that is taking us away from the vision that our founders had and fought and died to create.

Edit: One other thought. Moving out of country likely wouldn't be an option since the US economy is such a huge factor in global economics, other countries would be likely just as bad and in all probability, worse.
Hell of a first post CSwann! Welcome aboard.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-23-2010, 03:00 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4469 Times on 2357 Posts
Likes Given: 255

ar15 my colt series 70 and my walther ppks in 22lr

Old 10-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #10

My AR-15 in 5.56 and Glock 21. The AR is good for both CQB and at short long distances. The Glock would be for when the AR is out of ammo. As mentioned before 5.56/.223 and .45 ammo would be easy to find.