What gun to get next????
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What gun to get next????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What gun to get next????

I wanted to solicit some responses about which gun I should get next. I will give you some background on what I'm considering and what I already have in the safe. I have read tons of posts from this community, and have tremendous respect for your opinions. Thanks in advance.

Just to start, I am a deer and hog hunter, as well as birds. I don't carry conceal, and don't really plan to. I may keep a pistol in the car....but never on my person. I am looking for something fun and functional. I have been thinking about a 9mm semi auto pistol, a cowboy type revolver in 45 colt or 357, and I would love a lever action 30-30. I have a 6 year old who already has a few that are earmarked for him.......but he doesn't have a great .22 yet. I've thought about a Henry for him.

My budget is around $400, but I also plan to sell the Remington 710 w/scope and get the budget up to $600.

In the safe:
12 ga wingmaster 870
Remington 710 30-06
Ruger M77 30-06
Ruger M77 .223
Savage youth model 10 .223. For the boy
Rossi .22/20 ga two barrel combo gun
Rossi single shot break action 20 ga
Marlin model 60 .22

Colt commander lightweight .45
GSG 1911-22
9 shot snub nose .22 mag

So....what do you think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #2

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

A Henry .22 for your son would be a terrific gun, less than $400. For your 9mm pleasure there are a lot of good ones out there. I like my Springfield XDm in 3.8", those are in the $550 range I think.

You can restock some of you current guns for a smaller shooter for reasonable money too. Less expensive than buying a youth model that will get outgrown in a bat of a parent's eye. Good luck.

I forgot to add, stop by the introductions area and say hello to the forum. Welcome to FTF!

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 07-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy
A Henry .22 for your son would be a terrific gun, less than $400. For your 9mm pleasure there are a lot of good ones out there. I like my Springfield XDm in 3.8", those are in the $550 range I think.

You can restock some of you current guns for a smaller shooter for reasonable money too. Less expensive than buying a youth model that will get outgrown in a bat of a parent's eye. Good luck.

I forgot to add, stop by the introductions area and say hello to the forum. Welcome to FTF!
You can get a Henry .22 by our house for $279. I want one because my Uncle has one and they're fun to shoot.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #4

I think the Henry will be my choice when it comes to the .22, but what about something with a little more punch.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #5

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooknose View Post
I think the Henry will be my choice when it comes to the .22, but what about something with a little more punch.
There's a Henry .22 Mag pump, octagon barrel -- sweet!

Old 07-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I think you have the rifle angle covered to be honest short of something like a Henry .22

The .30-06 can be up or down loaded to hunt just about everything in North America. For smaller game you have the .223s, which can hunt everything smallish and leave you some meat. The .22 can take small birds or squirrel if need be.

You have an 870, which is a great choice. Highly useful in multiple situations.

Your pistol category is a little light, but you have this in the rifle section, so I assume you are looking for a long gun.

The Henry is a great choice. The ammo is cheap and the little one can shoot all day and not hurt himself or your pocketbook.

The lever gun in .30-30 - while really cool - would overlap what you already have other than quick follow up shots.

You could think about an AR or an AK if you were so inclined. The AR would be more than the budget but you can find an AK in that price range pretty easy.

I guess you will know it when you see it.

JD

Old 07-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

If you get a henry look at the rear sight and rifling before you buy it. I got one a few months ago and the sight is at least .100 off from the center line and the rifling is almost nonexistent. Im going to send it back I just havent had the time.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1181 Times on 758 Posts
Likes Given: 2302

You're pretty well covered on all of the guns you need. Now you're just looking for something just because you want to, which is a great position to be in. You don't have to worry about being practical. You can get something just because it looks fun and you like so let that be your guide. What till you find something that just looks fun, and like Dillinger said "you will know it when you see it."

Old 07-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #9

Thanks everybody....I knew y'all would have some good ideas. From what I've heard, and what I want, I'm headed to the gun show today and I'll be looking for a cool .22 lever action. May go for a .22 mag, it sounds fun and I can get plenty of rounds down range and still keep $$ in the budget for the next one.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #10

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts

Get an SKS!!!