What to get, educate me!
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What to get, educate me!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hello! We'll I'm looking at purchasing a few firearms and to be honest I have no idea what to get. With that being said I do know kind of what i want. I'm looking for a couple rifles actually, one. A long rifle for hunting or maybe if SHTF I may need to reach out and touch something. Additionally I would like another rifle for tactical or hunting purposes in the 150 to 350 yd range. Lastly I was looking for something that I could use in close quarters but not a shotgun.

With that being said I am looking at spending a around 2500 total give or take a couple hundred. Also I am looking for them to be able to use the same ammo, with acception of maybe the long rifle. Also I do not need anything full auto as semi auto does just fine for me.

I am very familiar with firing weapons specifically the M4 and M16, I can clean them, shoot them, and well do everything the military has taught me to do. Unfortunately that's the extent of my weapons knowledge as I am not familiar with anything out side of these other then the M9 and my glock. I do own a ruger 77 for hunting that I had since i was young.

I would really love to purchase an M4 as I am extremely familiar with it and extremely confident in my skills with it unfortunately I do not have the licensing to own it.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge! Lastly I'm really wanting to just see what my options are then doin more research on those specific options prior to making my purchases. I may purchase all 3 at once or just get one quality rifle and spend the rest on a trigger job and such.

Last edited by tazmo; 05-14-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

OHboy! The possibilities are endless with what you have listed.

Ruger 10/22 semi is a must...but i am guessing you already have a .22 in the Ruger 77.

reach out and touch something...big bore. I would go with the 30-06..many brands and models here, but the Remington 7400 comes to mind in semi auto.

I dont know of anywhere in the US you need a "license" to own an "m-4" (semi auto). This will also fill your "close quarter" needs.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 05-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #3

Ah yeah, I've been looking at the model 700 and it's pretty much what I have my sights set on for now but to be honest i havnt checked out the other models like the 7400, ill have to give it a look. For the 77 I have it in a 300, I have been looking at the 10/22 but can't seem to make up my mind, how are they stock, from what I've seen they need some work.

Also for the M4, I thought to have a modified AR 15 with a shorter barrel length it would require me to have a FFL. If that's not the case then I believe my I know my next purchase

Last edited by tazmo; 05-14-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

The National Firearms Act classifies any AR-15 having a barrel length under 16″ or an overall length under 26″ (with any collapsible stock extended) as an SBR (short barreled rifle) and listed as an NFA firearm.
There may be more restrictions in your state.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 18 Posts

For a normal m4 semi auto, no license is needed. An ffl is a federal firearms license which is what dealers need to be able to buy, sell, and do transfers as a business. You do not need one to purchase any firearm as an individual. If you want an m4 with a barrel shorter than 16", that is considered an sbr: short barreled rifle. To own such an animal you will need to pay $200 for the federal tax stamp and do a "little bit" of paperwork. Unless you plan to be climbing in and out of vehicles while under and returning fire, i dont think an sbr will be a necessity for you. 16"-20" will work just fine for home defense and you can buy over the counter with no more hassle/paperwork than required just to do the normal background check. A heavy barreled ar with a fast twist (1:7) with heavy bullets handloaded will be fine for you out to 350 and can also be used for close quarters. You may wanna consider switching optics back and forth for each use though. A scope good enough to see 350 isnt gonna work too well for cqb.

The 300 ruger 77 should be just fine for your reach out and touch em rifle. If its not accurate enough, bed the action, free float the barrel, adjust the trigger, get GOOD glass, and start handloading. There are a zillion how to videos available to walk you through it if you dont wanna pay a gunsmith.

Last edited by ryguy00; 05-14-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1184 Times on 773 Posts
Likes Given: 733

with a budget like that this is my idea.

go buy an AR15, 2 good optics, extra mags and los of ammo. the AR in a 16'' barrel will do everything you ask of it out to the ranges you listed. for anything else the .300 you already have will do just fine.

a decent 3x9 scope, and maybe a halographic, or Red dot sight.

to purchase that type of rifle. in most states all you need to do is fill one form thats used for your background check. a handful of states i think you might have to get a purchase permit. but that is mostly the commie states like, kali, and NJ.

good luck

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #7

Liked 2607 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I'd start with a 22LR rifle and pistol for target.

Your tastes and preferences will expand

naturally from there. While you're at the range,

talk to other shooters, try their stuff.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6733 Times on 3752 Posts
Likes Given: 6497

You already have long range covered with the 77. Your Glock will cover your handgun needs.

Get a quality M-4 carbine, ($950-$1200) I'd get a Colt.

A few spare magaines and a lot of ammo.

The 10-22 is a good rifle to put on your wish list for after getting the above.

If you really want a "heavy" caliber semi-auto, get something in .308. (7.62X51 NATO)

Several manufacturers make a 7.62X51 on the AR 10 platform. (AR-15 on steroids.)

Since you're already familiar with the M-16, this would be a natural for you.

If it were me, I would buy these three in this order.
M-4
Ar-10 7.62
10-22.

You should be able to stay within your $2500 budget. Scopes and Red Dots are nice and you will want them, but they can be added later.

A veteran familiar with the AR-15 platform should be able to get by with iron sights for a year or so until you can save the extra money for scopes and other accessories.

Good luck!

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Old 05-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

well...
S&W $1,200 <- here is your basic rifle.

Now you buy an extra upper

ArmaLite SPR upper $1,200

So now you need an optic to pull double duty...

Trijicon TR24 $1,000 and a functional mount Trijicon Mount $255

Now you have both a long range and short range rifle all in one.

Old 05-15-2012, 03:00 AM   #10

Thanks for all of the awesome input, looks like I will be shopping around for an AR15 as I reallylike all the feedback and what I've read so far. Although I would really like a 14.5 inch barrel I could do with out it. The 77 will definitely cover my needs and it has so far, just needs a little more TLC. After talking with my father he says he has a 10/22 in the closet that he said I could have when I was a kid and it's just been sitting there. Guess I got that covered as well!

So now off to shopping for a quality AR, some tritium sights and a over/under(I think that's what it would be, so you can use the regular sights or the scope?) thanks again for all the in for!