What to get? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What to get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 05:58 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveguns View Post
I am not arguing with you at all matt g. Just putting some humor in is all. If I had a bear charging at me I would unload whatever gun I had with me and I always have my Glock 27 or 30 with me. Not saying they would take care of the bear but at least it would help. Then I would have to change my underwear.
Depending on the bear a glock would probably just end up making the bear want to eat you alot more.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:19 AM   #32

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

You might want to look at the Browning A-bolt Moutain Ti the guns weighs from 5# 6 oz to 5# 8 oz

If you want the most power packed in to a compact package and are willing to give a little in weight. the M77® Mark II · Frontier Rifle

Ruger also offers the M77® Mark II · All-Weather® Ultra Light .

Or you could look at Remington ( I know Dillinger took me long enough)

Model 700™ Mountain LSS.

Model 7

Old 07-11-2008, 01:40 AM   #33

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post

Or you could look at Remington ( I know Dillinger took me long enough)

I wouldn't want it any other way Cpt!

JD

Old 07-11-2008, 01:45 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Kimber makes some nice light rifles, but they don't come cheap.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/84m/84m_montana/

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 07-11-2008 at 01:47 AM.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:31 PM   #35

A guy stopped his car somewhere in the northwest or Alaska, and after stepping out, was startled by an attacking grizzly.

Fortunately he was a good shot, somehow kept his cool and had apparently trained well with his Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine.
He managed to stop the bear just in front of him, and the smooth action of the rifle, along with its caliber, is also credited with saving his life. Nerves of steel with a bolt-action rifle?

Although the Mosin Nagant's action is not nearly as smooth as that of the LE or Mauser rifles, a guy in a tree stand stopped a fairly large bear with two shots from his MN 44.
The LE Jungle Carbine supposedly has a pretty good kick, but the one I handled was a very handy, attractive rifle (some website sells lower-priced .303 ammo).
My brother's standard length LE kicks about like my MN 44.

I've never used a Mauser, but how about a shorter version of the standard, maybe a Yugo in standard 8 mm?
I've also never hunted (being a very, very late-bloomer with guns in a practical sense), but have read good arguments for the rifles described here.
Let's say that a carbine is strapped to your shoulder but you panic and run. Won't most people drop the rifle as they race away towards a tree or water?

Last edited by Laufer; 07-29-2008 at 09:38 PM.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:31 PM   #36
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2741 Times on 1435 Posts
Likes Given: 231

The Remington model 7 is a neat little rifle. One in 300 WSM would be OK. I would carry my Marlin Guide gun in .45-70 with my handload of a 340gr hard cast flatpoint at 2000fps. Handy, light weight, hard hitting. A backup revolver in .41 mag or .44 mag would be nice.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:52 PM   #37

I would go with a nice mini 14 small, light, the ability to put 30 rounds into a bear in less than 5 seconds! Plus those 30 rounds are cheaper than 10 rounds of 30 cal ammo. Open sights like a good red dot and a high rate of fire mean you get a second chace at life if you miss the first shot.