What to get? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What to get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Bears can run at speeds of 35-40 mph, how fast can you run?
Downhill? With a mad, hungry bear on my ass? I could EASILY qualify for the Olympics, of that I can assure you.

JD

Old 07-08-2008, 09:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braeden View Post
I need to get a new rifle, preferably with a smaller round. Somewhere around .223 or less. I want this rifle for general target shooting and for backpack camping. Since i would be bringing it backpack camping i would prefer if it was a lighter weight. I have looked at the mini-14's and the CX4. The CX4 i doubt would be able to protect from a bear but i may be wrong. Id like something where the ammo is cheap also. Any suggestions?

Thank you

-Braeden
I would listen to mattg and dillinger. .223 will only piss a bear off. practice good bear proofing techniques and carry bear spray if that's what you're concerned with. bear spray is actually 80 percent effective against bears where firearms are only 20 effective. if you still want to carry a rifle for bear defense i would go with .308 or larger. Or, you can carry a large caliber revolver. to be honest, if i ran into another hiker on the trail and he was carrying a CX4 i'd be a little creeped out.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:31 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Gee everyone is going all over the place on this one. American Black bears are not all black but range in color from a blondish tan to black. There is a difference with what kind of weapon you would use for hunting bear and what could be used for self defense in a bear meets human in the woods situation. Light weight deer rifles in 30-30 and above are entirely adequate for protection against a black bear. Big bore levers such as a 44mag trapper or bigger as a 444marlin or 45-70 would be my choice for packing and defense. A mini 30 would be great for packing and defense. A used Savage 340 in 30-30 would be a cheap toss around rifle that didn't weigh too much and could be picked up for a couple hundred bucks. I would feel well protected in the lower 48 with my mini 14 by my side if fact I would be better protected than most.CD

Old 07-09-2008, 02:05 AM   #24

Seedy, i was just about to say a lever action might be what this guy is looking for.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:51 AM   #25

I live in a nook of mountains where bear (black) are rather frequent... a friend of mine once hit a black bear with his car, even...

Anyhoo, I've heard (this could just be old-timers' fables) that if you run downhill from a bear, it'll get tripped up and go-a-tumbling.

I've never had to use such methods though.

My thoughts on the matter - I've not heard of any bear attacks in the last five or so years, and the only one I can think of, someone was messing with a cub. Of course, the topography around here would allow for easy running if push came to oh-crap-run. Good luck with it all.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:32 AM   #26

Well I am fairly confident everyone who suggests running was just kidding but just in case any newbies reading this didn't catch it Let me tell ya to absolutely forget it no way no how will you out run a bear that wants you for dinner .

Guns & Ammo had a pictorial years ago that put the speed of these animals in frightening perspective .

Starts with a pic of a Caribou on a river/stream bank on a hill that seems he is about 60ft from the water , next is a Brown/Grizzly Bear about 100 yards away from the Caribou on the same side of the water , Caribou goes over hill toward water and bear starts his chase . I cant' recall all of the pics but in the end the bear has that Caribou at about the half way point of this shallow stream that using the animals for scale appears to be Maybe 100 ft wide .

That Bear was also a full grown one that basically looked like a 55 gallon drum with a head and legs , I bet it was easily a 600 LB + animal .

O and seedy just an FYI for ya .

Blacks bears also come in a true white phase as well as the colors you mentioned , Look up Kermode bear sometime . They're not Albinos but a proven true white phase .

I read about them years ago in a book and then they were reported to only live on one Island . Now according to what I have found on the web they are on other islands and have even made it to the mainland as far as Minnesota .

Now wouldn't that make a great trophy to have even it was only taken with a camera !

Old 07-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #27

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO01 View Post
Well I am fairly confident everyone who suggests running was just kidding but just in case any newbies reading this didn't catch it Let me tell ya to absolutely forget it no way no how will you out run a bear that wants you for dinner .
I was mostly kidding, but did I mention that I was now studying under the great GRAND MASTER John West. The man is a legend with his proven bear fighting skills.....

JD

Old 07-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Bears can run at speeds of 35-40 mph, how fast can you run?

Lol probably not that fast. But you would be surprised what a hungry bear on your ass could make you do.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveguns View Post
Lol probably not that fast. But you would be surprised what a hungry bear on your ass could make you do.
No, really, they've been clocked at those speeds.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:47 PM   #30

Quote:
No, really, they've been clocked at those speeds.
I am not arguing with you at all matt g. Just putting some humor in is all. If I had a bear charging at me I would unload whatever gun I had with me and I always have my Glock 27 or 30 with me. Not saying they would take care of the bear but at least it would help. Then I would have to change my underwear.