Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   What to get? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/what-get-5429/)

Braeden 07-07-2008 05:00 PM

What to get?

I need to get a new rifle, preferably with a smaller round. Somewhere around .223 or less. I want this rifle for general target shooting and for backpack camping. Since i would be bringing it backpack camping i would prefer if it was a lighter weight. I have looked at the mini-14's and the CX4. The CX4 i doubt would be able to protect from a bear but i may be wrong. Id like something where the ammo is cheap also. Any suggestions?

Thank you

-Braeden

matt g 07-07-2008 06:00 PM

Bad news, .223 won't even slow a bear. If you're worried about bears, your best bet is to practice proper food storage. If you're just blood thirsty and feel the need to kill a bear, you'll want .308 at minimum but probably want to look at something like .300 Win Mag or better.

Braeden 07-07-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 30750)
Bad news, .223 won't even slow a bear. If you're worried about bears, your best bet is to practice proper food storage. If you're just blood thirsty and feel the need to kill a bear, you'll want .308 at minimum but probably want to look at something like .300 Win Mag or better.

could you suggest a nice looking rifle in synthetic stock, in something like a .308? Anyone have a pprice on .308 handload price?

Dillinger 07-07-2008 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braeden (Post 30751)
could you suggest a nice looking rifle in synthetic stock, in something like a .308? Anyone have a pprice on .308 handload price?

Braeden - You are all over the board with what you are looking for. In my opinion, there is no one rifle that is going to 1) cost effective and 2) Suit your needs as described.

What kind of bears are you talking about? Because there is a WORLD of difference between a cuddly little baby brown and a full grown Grizzly. Taking any straight bolt gun in a lightweight caliber ( like a .223 ) against a full grown bear, of any type, would be suicide in my opinion. I would look to exit stage right if it were me....

As for the type of rifle you are looking for, you are looking for a hunting style rifle. One that has a thinner, lightweight barrel to make packing it much easier. That doesn't mean you need a little cartridge, it just means you need a strong shoulder when you touch it off. The lighter the gun, the harder the kick.

I would recommend that you take a look at Weatherby's Vanguard Line. They are cost effective and they come with a factory accuracy guarantee. I would suggest not looking at anything smaller than a .30-06 caliber though. Bears aren't known for their sense of humor once they get a bullet in the ass. You want to make sure the round you are sending their way has cruel intentions behind it....

JD

matt g 07-07-2008 07:26 PM

I haven't heard anything but good reviews on Tikkas. http://www.berettausa.com/product/rifles/series_page.cfm?currentseries=63

I would suggest getting something with open sights though. A scope is a pain in the ass when you've got 800 pounds of pissed off coming at you at 40 mph.

Honestly though, I've spent a good portion of my life in the wilderness of the Western US and seen many bears. Intelligence will keep you safer than a rifle will. Unless hunting, I've never even carried a rifle in the back country, there was never any need for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 30756)
What kind of bears are you talking about? Because there is a WORLD of difference between a cuddly little baby brown and a full grown Grizzly.

pssst... Grizzlys and brown bears are the same thing. Black bears are the cute little cuddly ones.

Braeden 07-07-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 30756)
Braeden - You are all over the board with what you are looking for. In my opinion, there is no one rifle that is going to 1) cost effective and 2) Suit your needs as described.

What kind of bears are you talking about? Because there is a WORLD of difference between a cuddly little baby brown and a full grown Grizzly. Taking any straight bolt gun in a lightweight caliber ( like a .223 ) against a full grown bear, of any type, would be suicide in my opinion. I would look to exit stage right if it were me....

As for the type of rifle you are looking for, you are looking for a hunting style rifle. One that has a thinner, lightweight barrel to make packing it much easier. That doesn't mean you need a little cartridge, it just means you need a strong shoulder when you touch it off. The lighter the gun, the harder the kick.

I would recommend that you take a look at Weatherby's Vanguard Line. They are cost effective and they come with a factory accuracy guarantee. I would suggest not looking at anything smaller than a .30-06 caliber though. Bears aren't known for their sense of humor once they get a bullet in the ass. You want to make sure the round you are sending their way has cruel intentions behind it....

JD

mainly black/brown bears. ive never come across any grizzlys around where i go camping. Ive got a .338 and a 8 gauge shotgun. But there both way to heavy. I have had to use them on occasions with bears, once with a cougar, etc. but it would be nicer for a lightweight. Now you said that you would use nothing smaller than a .30-06, after knowing what kind of bears i deal with would a .308 be to small or would it be effective?

Braeden 07-07-2008 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 30758)
I haven't heard anything but good reviews on Tikkas. http://www.berettausa.com/product/rifles/series_page.cfm?currentseries=63

I would suggest getting something with open sights though. A scope is a pain in the ass when you've got 800 pounds of pissed off coming at you at 40 mph.

Honestly though, I've spent a good portion of my life in the wilderness of the Western US and seen many bears. Intelligence will keep you safer than a rifle will. Unless hunting, I've never even carried a rifle in the back country, there was never any need for it.

pssst... Grizzlys and brown bears are the same thing. Black bears are the cute little cuddly ones.

ya i know some people never need them. but now that im 17 and out in the bush alot more with my family i run into them more and more. Back a few years ago when i lived with my father he owned quite a few firearms. And i really want to get back into hunting, target shooting, etc. So i think this is where im trying to start. But i think a nice .308 or 30-06? would server fine when needed.

Dillinger 07-07-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Isn't there a category for North American Brown, and a category for Grizzly? I always thought the Kodiak Grizzly was the classification for one type of brown bear - where as, a Northern Kalifornia brown would be a North American Brown.... I don't hunt animals, so I never put much study into them... LOL My apologies....

It would appear I stand corrected. Black Bears are cute and cuddly - brown bears equal BE SOMEWHERE ELSE... LOL

JD

Dillinger 07-07-2008 08:10 PM

Quote:

Tikka is also turning out a good quality rifle these days. The warranty isn't as good as the Weatherby, but they are turning out a very good entry level product for this application...

JD

matt g 07-07-2008 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 30764)
Isn't there a category for North American Brown, and a category for Grizzly? I always thought the Kodiak Grizzly was the classification for one type of brown bear - where as, a Northern Kalifornia brown would be a North American Brown.... I don't hunt animals, so I never put much study into them... LOL My apologies....

It would appear I stand corrected. Black Bears are cute and cuddly - brown bears equal BE SOMEWHERE ELSE... LOL

JD

There are several sub-species of American Brown, but for the most part they're all the same beast.