What effect does a longer/shorter barrel have on bullet distance? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

What effect does a longer/shorter barrel have on bullet distance?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian25 View Post
about my answer before.... you need to know that im not english and sometime the term i use can be wrong or not appropriate! But im trying.

I gotcha dude. I am only a few minutes south of the border in northern Vermont, or southern Canada, whichever the case may be. Stop signs around here say "Arret" and you have to decide betwen French and English at the ATM.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #22

I tought i was only english! Funny!

Here in maniwaki where i study we met few firefighters from edmonton to help us for the forest fire. They said edmonton is boring and they love Quebec.
Strange because everybody from Quebec is tired to live here.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:10 PM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Barrel length and velocity

Here's an article, taken from a thread over at 6mmBR dot com. They put a long 6mm BR barrel on a railgun and measured velocities after cutting the barrel down to various lengths. Caliber(s) and powder(s) will vary the results but, still interesting.

Barrel Length and Velocity — Barrel Cut-Down Tests

-Rick

Old 05-31-2010, 09:45 PM   #24

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godiva View Post
Title really says it all.

I realize that if the barrel is too short then the bullet leaves the barrel while the gas is still expanding, but how long is too long? I mean say the gas expands 20 inches (of a 24 inch barrel) down the barrel till it equals the external pressure. Why would be 24 inches be better than say 22, or 26 for example. What I'm really asking is how would you calculate optimum barrel length to maximize the bullet distance.
The effect of barrel length on range potential is, of course, related directly to the velocity which can be achieved. In general, the faster it goes, the further it goes. To a certain extent, long barrels produce higher velocities; although, as hasbeen pointed out, there is a point of diminishing returns dependent upon caliber, bullet weight, powder burning rate, primer strength, and a host of other factors. So, a 22 long rifle will achieve it's maximum velocity in about fifteen inches; most centerfires will require considerably more length to "max out".
The maximum length for the various cartridge/bullet combinations is, well, variable. The optimum length is often a matter of conjecture. I typically build all of my long range rifles with 26 inch barrels which is shorter than is preferred by many of my fellow shooters. I find this length is adequate to produce the velocity I desire while retaining stiffness. I have one 6.5x55 which I built with a 28" barrel and it seems just fine as well.
Popular wisdom contends that we want to start the bullet out fast enough that the bullet remains supersonic beyond the range at which we are shooting. With a 308 shooting 190 grain Matchkings, this can be achieved with a 22 inch barrel if we are shooting 1000 yards. The 26 inch barrel just gives a bit more "cushion".
In the end, longer barrels will be faster but the amount of gain may not be worth the effort. Also, if the longer barrel does not shoot as well, it is, in my opinion, a failure. It doesn't matter if the bullet is travelling faster if it misses the mark. GD

Old 05-31-2010, 10:09 PM   #25

Liked 824 Times on 579 Posts
Likes Given: 918

My .308 HB Howa has a 22" barrel and is a tack driver using a slower powder, 4064. The CZ 527 24.? Varminter does great w/ BLC(2) and H335, lets not forget 4064. I think that even pressure is more important than complete burn. I may be wrong.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #26

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Check out this link, it shows the ballistics of a particular caliber an inch of barrel length at a time.
Ballistics by the inch
What effect does a longer/shorter barrel have on bullet distance? - General Rifle Discussion

Old 06-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #27

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

Steve,
That is an interesting and well conducted series of tests. Of course, it doesn't provide any solid data regarding rifle calibers suited for long range shooting. It does, however, allow for some interpretation of cause and effect. I'm doing a similar test with a 308 and a 300 Mag to collect data for a book I'm struggling to write. As time goes on, I'll post some results. GD