What Does a Restored Garand Look Like? VIDEO
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What Does a Restored Garand Look Like? VIDEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default What Does a Restored Garand Look Like? VIDEO

I read various discussions about the pros/cons of restoring a WWII era M1 Garand. Some believe it to be a terrible thing to do, in any way, to "improve" upon what the rifle is, since the story of the rifle comes with the way it has come down to us. Others either could care less about the "down side" of restoring, or don't like to do it only because the chances of recovering what you put into the restoration will probably never be returned to the person who paid for it. Still others want a beautiful restoration of the rifle that won WWII in the hands of our brave troops. I count myself in this group on the question of restoration.

In the midst of this, many don't ever get a chance to see a restored Garand, so I thought I would put this video together of the Garand I had restored. The video link is below.

This was my first M1 Garand I purchased, intentionally buying it for the purpose of restoring it. I wanted a WWII era Garand, both receiver and barrel. I found this one and bought it. It had a simply dreadful 50s era stock that was put on it.

of the Garand I had restored by Dean's Gun Restorations.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2012, 02:15 AM   #2

Liked 1617 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Restoring and collection value don't go together. If you want a pretty gun, the restoration is the way to go, as long as it is done professionally. If you want a collectable gun, and you start with a collectable gun, you can't improve on it with changes.

That is one reason you see collectors, turning their heads and spitting when you mention a Mitchells Mauser. They are pretty, but not historically correct or collectable.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 12-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #3

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Restoring and collection value don't go together. If you want a pretty gun, the restoration is the way to go, as long as it is done professionally. If you want a collectable gun, and you start with a collectable gun, you can't improve on it with changes.

That is one reason you see collectors, turning their heads and spitting when you mention a Mitchells Mauser. They are pretty, but not historically correct or collectable.
I've reached the point with my Garand purchases where I simply shake my head and chuckle at the heated arguments you can read amongst collectors. And to give you an example, here you go. Comparing Mitchell Mausers to ANYTHING any person with half a brain does, or does not, do to their Garand is offensive, sir. Mitchells Mauswers flat out lies about what they are selling and to my knowledge, I hope, has not moved into Garand desecration.

: )

Of course, nobody actually knows for 100% certainty that any Garand they purchase has its "original" parts on it, or parts restored by the Armory, etc. Because of the numerous parts available and complete interchangeability of parts, any Garand may, or may not, have already had parts swapped, replaced, etc. long after it left military service.

I purchased several Garands from a gent, CMP "Collector" grades from a gent who was moving into the "big league" of Garand collecting, obtaining original WWII era Garands STILL IN FACTORY packaging.

So, you see, it's all a matter of degree when it comes to these things.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #4

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
: )

Of course, nobody actually knows for 100% certainty that any Garand they purchase has its "original" parts on it, or parts restored by the Armory, etc.
Garands were not restored by military armorers but rebuilt with updated parts

Throwing on a park job and commercial stock isnt what I consider a restoration

Last edited by Orlando; 01-01-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Nothing wrong with taking one that has most of its finish gone some damage here and there missing parts or whatever and restoring it to like new condition.

Taking an obvious collector grade sample and having it refinished or drilled for a redfield scope is what sets people off.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
I read various discussions about the pros/cons of restoring a WWII era M1 Garand. Some believe it to be a terrible thing to do, in any way, to "improve" upon what the rifle is, since the story of the rifle comes with the way it has come down to us. Others either could care less about the "down side" of restoring, or don't like to do it only because the chances of recovering what you put into the restoration will probably never be returned to the person who paid for it. Still others want a beautiful restoration of the rifle that won WWII in the hands of our brave troops. I count myself in this group on the question of restoration.

In the midst of this, many don't ever get a chance to see a restored Garand, so I thought I would put this video together of the Garand I had restored. The video link is below.

This was my first M1 Garand I purchased, intentionally buying it for the purpose of restoring it. I wanted a WWII era Garand, both receiver and barrel. I found this one and bought it. It had a simply dreadful 50s era stock that was put on it.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izFV1BpvneI of the Garand I had restored by Dean's Gun Restorations.
That is a beautiful gun! I'd love to get my hands on a restored Garand like that. Well done.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334