What do you think of this rifle? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What do you think of this rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 07:01 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 141 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Sweet, very sweet.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I went and checked out the rifle and did the paperwork on it yesterday. It looks pretty good. A few dings and scratches were expected and it's actually much nicer that it was described. Now I just have to wait for the stupid California waiting period.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-17-2011, 01:45 AM   #23

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I went and checked out the rifle and did the paperwork on it yesterday. It looks pretty good. A few dings and scratches were expected and it's actually much nicer that it was described. Now I just have to wait for the stupid California waiting period.
Man doesn't that just suck! I HATE waiting for anything gun related... Can't wait for the range report. I really like that rifle!

Old 06-17-2011, 01:57 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The recoil pad is old and must be changed. Shooting a short '06 will be fun, but I can't see beating myself up to do it.

The bolt was very smooth and the trigger was very light.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-17-2011, 02:03 AM   #25

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

I like the caliber and the rifle.

Very clean and uncluttered. Very nice, sir.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:04 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks, I can't wait to shoot it. I think it will be a perfect woods gun.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:25 AM   #27

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Nice looking rifle. Put some lead through the barrel before it finds a new owner, quick!

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:23 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Beautiful rifle there CA! First the Yugo Mauser then this! I am very happy to see that you are now in the firearms acquisition mode again!

TXnorton

Old 06-17-2011, 03:38 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks Tex. Although right now I'm trying to sell my GP100 to finance a Browning Hi Power.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:28 PM   #30

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
The recoil pad is old and must be changed. Shooting a short '06 will be fun, but I can't see beating myself up to do it.

The bolt was very smooth and the trigger was very light.
That's an easy investment on a rifle of that quality. In the mean time you can get a Past recoil shield (I think everyone should own one for extended range sessions) for about $20 and that will allow you to comfortably shoot that gun and any others all day long. I just finished a shooting session with my .35 Whelen and a .338 Win Mag and without that Past shield I would have quit a lot sooner than I did.

My experience with the Mark-X was an amazing surprise. It started as a bet with some friends that were complaining about the excesive cost of good hunting rifles. My position was that if you knew how to shop, there are a lot of GREAT deals out there in rifles of outstanding quality, many of them just collecting dust in the used gun racks of local gun stores.

I bet them that I could just walk into any fairly well stocked gun store and walk out with a good quality hunting gun for under $500 ready to hunt. That night I walked into my local Gander Mountain (a place NOT known for good deals) and I spotted a Mark-X in 30-06 in basically brand new condition on the used gun rack for $350!!!! Knowing they are excellent guns that are still flying under the radar I scooped it up... a quick chat with the gunsmith and I found out that someone had traded in another rifle with an older Leupold Vari-X III in 1.5-5 and Gander's policy is that they give you basicaly NO money for the scope. I told the guy I would give him $100 for the used scope and he said $120. I said done!

The blueing on that Mark-x was quite possibly one of the nicest I have ever seen on a classic Mauser type gun. It was simply flawless!!! I went home, mounted the scope on the gun and now I had a BEAUTIFUL classic 30-06 with a Leupold scope on it in a GREAT configuration for hunting in the NE woods for under $500 so I won my bet to a lot of grumbles.

That gun was one of the most pleasant surprises I ever got. Not only was it a great looking rig but a shooter too! I held on to it a lot longer than I should have because I have more 30-06s that I know what to do with but I finally sold it and made a nifty profit. My game plan was to re-barrel it to another chambering, something that I didn't have but it shot so well that I thought it'd be a sin to mess with the gun. If I had to do it again I would have kept it and gotten rid of other higher priced guns that to be quite frank are not as nice as that Mark-X was. Oh well, live and learn, I might have to go find another Mark-X to add to the collection now that you got my brain going.

Good luck with your new rifle. I love that stock and that is a sweet looking classic!