What are the differences between the SXS Rifle and SXS Shotgun?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What are the differences between the SXS Rifle and SXS Shotgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What are the differences between the SXS Rifle and SXS Shotgun?

I've listed below how I think the SXS Rifle is different than the SXS Shotgun. Tell me if i'm wrong or if I missed some.

1. rifled barrel
2. better regulation
3. bullet, instead of shot or slug

Other than that, I can't think of any differences.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-27-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8842 Times on 3828 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Well, the barrels (and the gun) are MUCH heavier. Sights and stock are also different. You can buy a good sxs 12 g for about $300. A Holland & Holland .600 Nitro Express rifle will cost you about $10,000.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Well, the barrels (and the gun) are MUCH heavier. Sights and stock are also different. You can buy a good sxs 12 g for about $300. A Holland & Holland .600 Nitro Express rifle will cost you about $10,000.
Hmm. I didn't take into consideration the weight of the barrels and the gun. Good point.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:19 AM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP1000 View Post
I've listed below how I think the SXS Rifle is different than the SXS Shotgun. Tell me if i'm wrong or if I missed some.

1. rifled barrel
2. better regulation
3. bullet, instead of shot or slug

Other than that, I can't think of any differences.
Just out of curiousity, what do you mean by "better regulation"? And, shotgun barrels can be rifled, in fact, most slug barrels are rifled.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 10-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

SxS shotguns can be made either by hand or by machine. Double rifles are works of art.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/why-double-barrel-rifles-so-expensive-19440/

This shot gun goes for $33,000 +USD.

Bespoke Weapons

This rifle goes for right around $30,000
Bespoke Weapons

Them there were used here are the new ones.

A simple M98 in 270 will run you $40K+
http://www.hollandandholland.com/~newyork/newguns/index.htm

Old 10-27-2009, 06:50 PM   #6

Liked 76 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default differences

I know the H&R handi single shot rifles have a forged steel receiver the H&R partner shotguns have a cast steel receiver when the barrle is dismounted one can see the casting markings on the shotgun receivers
a shotgun receiver wouldent handle the higher pressures exerted by a rifle round like the 22-250 or the 30-06 of the handi rifle
barrel regulation is tough as you have two barrels useally regulated to hit at a set distance Double rifles have a single set of sights, the process of jiging the barrels soldering and testfireing the gun (repeat till the gun shoots to POA) is long and labor intensive = expensive
The over under double rifles made in russia have a machine screw arrangement to regulate the barrels (Bakial) some of which are sold through Remington Arms as ther Spartan line have a different flavor, seen 3 guns in my time, one pre-spartan in 6.5 sweede another pre-remington in 9.3x57mm, and a Remington spartan double 30-06. I've read in one the gun mags about a Spartan 45-70 double as well all appear to be kinda rough but robust and ultilitarian in apperance.
Seems the russian double rifles are expensive but more prevalant than the costom doubles that cost in the thousands of dollars.