You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

What is a common hunting rifle used in arizona?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 86 Times on 69 Posts

Default What is a common hunting rifle used in arizona?

I live in Arizona and im looking for a good hunting rifle thats tough, accurate, and reliable, and chambered for a common round that can be easily found in my area, i will be going through mountainous, rocky/sandy sometimes snowy muddy or rainy conditions i will be hunting elk, javelina, deer, and whatever else you can eat with a high powered rifle i would like for the rifle to be common in my area so repair for spare parts and pieces are easy to come by has to be capable of going long range distances, long range competitions shooting looks very interesting i might wanna try it one day but i dont have the money for a rifle that accurate and it all has to be under 850-900$

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #2

Liked 4803 Times on 2686 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Why not check out a local Arizona gun shop. Arizona a very gun friendly state and has many good local firearms dealers and clubs.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #3

The late Jack O'Conner was from Arizona and his favorite cartridge was the .270 Winchester. You could buy a brand new Marlin XL7 for a little over $300 and have some left over for a pretty good scope. They are rugged, light weight, strong, quality, and accurate rifles. A lot of gun for the money. I have one in .25-06 and it is a great rifle. I love it.
ct

Old 06-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3392 Times on 2294 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default Depends also

On where you live in our great state too! I don't hunt anymore but I keep some semi autos that can also be used as hunting guns as well. I live Nr. Sedona, and between two Mtn. ranges, so we have lots of Javilnas here, Which my pals tell me you can hunt with a .223 if you have the right rounds. I also have 2 Semi-Auto .308's and a semi & and a bolt .30-06...If you want something heavier one of my pals at the range shoots a .300 win. mag. If your living up here in the high country, we have several good shops here and with Gun Broker if a shop doesn't have what you want you can order it!
Some LGS reviews here: Pawn Palace(2 locations-Cottonwood & Prescott) very good folks and very knowledgable! See Rob(Ret.Local PD) the Mgr in Cottonwood! Also in C-Wood: Somke n Guns- The Owner Perry is also a good guy and knows his stuff(Also NRA Inst. and Very good smith!) but they are a little High in price! over in Camp Verde is our Indoor range and Shop, Copper Star, 2.5 Miles on Rt 260 off the I-17, All run and owned by Vets...2 good smiths! Nice Indoor facility(100 Yd Indoor rifle/shotgun & 6 25 Yd Handgun lanes!). Also In Camp Verde on Main St. Old Word Guns-Run By the Jonas family(no relation to the singing brothers!) Dave is also a collector of Old west & Early Military Arms,..Back over in Prescott is Bucky O'Neils, See Dave. Finally In Sedona Is Hamiltons,..also good folks...Off Airport rd. As with all of these tell them i sent you in!!(Dr. Football or Dr. Bill the ex-pilot)

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
People Like This 
Old 06-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1044 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Ruger makes a great rifle and you can get them at Walmart.
http://ruger.com/products/americanRifle/models.html

Old 06-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #6

Liked 1104 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 281

There are many very good choices, many way less than your budget. The Marlin and Ruger listed above also some Savage models and of course the Remington 700.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3392 Times on 2294 Posts
Likes Given: 710

All great choices! If your trying to save a few $$, you might find a used surplus M-24(Military Version of the 700 in .308). My pal next door to me( Ex-Navy, 12 yrs active-still in reserves, I know on active he was with Seal Team 8 for 5 years, then did the Intel thing, as a reservist he's adv. training new UDT's in diving in cali. but he's on the shooting team!) has a nice one with a Dark Blonde stock and a Redfield 3-9X40 scope! the whole thing cost him 500$ 3 yrs ago!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-03-2013, 04:14 AM   #8

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For what you listed I would opt for a .308. Excellent range, plenty of power for anything you would be hunting, infinite available ammo for different grain-weights..... .308 rifles last forever. Extremely accurate and ......