Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What can I expect out of iron sights on .30-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default What can I expect out of iron sights on .30-06

So I have a Springfield Model 1903, receiver is 6 digit year 1917, Remington 1943 barrel and Sporter stock with some kind of aftermarket sights on the receiver.

Ive read about receiver failures but decided to shoot it anyways. It quickly became one of my more favorite rifles. Very fun to shoot. Everything about it I love. I might be a little bias but they dont make em like they used too.

Anyhow what can I expect at the range. I was just pumkin killin today. Did great, didnt even have to adjust the sights its dead on, perfect. Probably more accurate than I can be, especially with irons. But along with the pumkins we put a brick up just for fun. But I had a hard time seeing it at 100 yards or slightly less. The front sight on the barrel was getting close to the same size at the target.

So how far out can I expect what kind of groups? How far out is reasonable to shoot a pop can? I am not a hunter and like to shoot at the range often, off hand and off bench. Our range is out to 1000 yards. Is it even reasonable to shoot out that far on irons? I would guess not, but If it is how big of a target would one use? If not how far is reasonable to shoot with irons? I am going to guess about 3 to 400 yards? What size target would one use at that distance?

Last edited by ArrizX; 11-19-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #2

Liked 40 Times on 25 Posts

As far as the eye can see.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #3

Liked 627 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 207

I've shot old rifles out to 1000 yards with iron sights. I often shot at 500 yards.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
Retired

Liked 2267 Times on 1356 Posts
Likes Given: 1058

If you can shoot 1 inch at 100 yards, how large of a group would you have at 300 yards?

Figure wind speed, bullet drop, side wind, temperature, relative humidity, etc...

Check this out:
http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/calculators/calculators.shtml
and
http://ballisticscalculator.winchester.com/

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 11-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrizX
So I have a Springfield Model 1903, receiver is 6 digit year 1917, Remington 1943 barrel and Sporter stock with some kind of aftermarket sights on the receiver.

Ive read about receiver failures but decided to shoot it anyways. It quickly became one of my more favorite rifles. Very fun to shoot. Everything about it I love. I might be a little bias but they dont make em like they used too.

Anyhow what can I expect at the range. I was just pumkin killin today. Did great, didnt even have to adjust the sights its dead on, perfect. Probably more accurate than I can be, especially with irons. But along with the pumkins we put a brick up just for fun. But I had a hard time seeing it at 100 yards or slightly less. The front sight on the barrel was getting close to the same size at the target.

So how far out can I expect what kind of groups? How far out is reasonable to shoot a pop can? I am not a hunter and like to shoot at the range often, off hand and off bench. Our range is out to 1000 yards. Is it even reasonable to shoot out that far on irons? I would guess not, but If it is how big of a target would one use? If not how far is reasonable to shoot with irons? I am going to guess about 3 to 400 yards? What size target would one use at that distance?
Question about your sights, I've seen a similar set up at a LGS and the rear peep was super tinny and is yours rear sight peep real tiny? Or am I not seeing it right,that is it something else? As mentioned the sights you said were after market and looks the same as far as your front sight goes. Looks like fun shooter, and if practice and get dialed in you could expect to hit far,at least at something bigger than brick at 100yds would be tough for any eye. But a man size target you could do good with the 30-06! I've done 8for8 with my Garand at a 16" steel target at 350 with a after market front sight!

Last edited by lilbailnick; 11-20-2012 at 01:37 AM.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:03 AM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sorry this is the best for sight pics that I have right now. Let me know if you would like better ones

Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #7

Liked 982 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

It all depends on your eyesight and skill level. Personally, I couldn't see a barn at 1000 yards without glass.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Txhillbilly Likes This 
Old 11-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #8

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I have made legitimate 300 yard shots on running deer at 300 yards with just plain dovetail sights. Every time it was a desperation shot: To keep the dogs off a freeway, to keep the dogs out of a block of woods that was to large for the number of hunters we had or off posted land. It was never something I really wanted to do. It was just the only chance anyone in the group had to stop the dogs.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/