What to buy
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 01:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What to buy

I am turning 18 soon and I want to buy a gun. I am a history nut and i think it would be cool to own a WWII era surplus rifle. I don't have much money to spend on it unfortunatly and want to stay under $200 unless my parents chip in as a bday gift (unlikely). I have looked a bit into the various mosins and the yugo mausers. Both seem to fit what i want, cheap gun, cheap ammo. I'm looking for any advice on which is better for a fun gun to take to a range or to shoot out in the middle of nowhere. I have shot guns before mostly a ruger 10/22 but i have shot a 30-06 a few times and i am not to worried about the recoil. Thanks for the help in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2011, 02:39 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2544 Times on 1244 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

I guess the main consideration is the tight budget you mentioned. That brings us to the point that something like the 17 HMR Rifle might be a good choice for you to start. My logic with that is the 17 HMR has a velocity of 2500 feet per second is very accurate and a great little rifle. At 100-150 yards as well as great for small varmint hunting and very accurate. Way less than 1 inch 5 Shot Groups at 100. 1/4 to 1/2 inch groups are not uncommon. Yet a box of 50 rounds only costs around 12-15 dollars at Wal-Mart for example. I have a lot of other rifles but I enjoy shooting my Marlin 917-V (Varmint) as much as my big bore rifles and certainly a lot cheaper. They really are phenomenal. May be you can find someone that has one and shoot it. It is a great starting rifle and a step up from the 22s. Obviously the less expensive it is to shoot the more you can shoot and enjoy your new rifle!
Only my thoughts!

Old 08-10-2011, 02:44 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Of the two you mention, go with a Mosin. You can buy the rifle and ammunition for your $200. budget. 8mm Mauser ammunition is getting expensive.

The Mauser is a technically superior rifle, but the Mosin will last a lifetime. Save up some money and buy a Mauser for your second rifle. The Mosin will give you more bang for the buck.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 08-10-2011 at 03:24 AM.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:54 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Go with the Mosin like was said before with your budget you can't go wrong .

I love the smell of gun powder in the morning . Hipoints break in my house and see if they work.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:05 AM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Get both. I've got <$200 total in both the above rifles.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-10-2011, 03:06 AM   #6

Any specific mosin that i should be looking for. I know there is the 91/30 and a few different carbine versions. Which would best serve my needs.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:28 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It depends on how much recoil you like. The shorter the barrel, the more recoil. A 91/30 will have the least of all models. It will also be the cheapest to acquire since there are more of them.

I've owned two Mosins, an M38 and a 91/59. Both are shorter barrel models and they do recoil some. I tend to acquire short rifles and carbines, but that's just personal preference.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-11-2011, 03:18 AM   #8

Liked 55 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 44

If you are from north west Oh. stop over in Erie Pa and you can try both. I dont have a Yugo but I do have a Turk and a Spsnish you can try and a Mosin to compare and decide.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #9

Liked 2489 Times on 1421 Posts
Likes Given: 1940

Yeah, the Mosin's got my vote, for practical and cost reasons.

You can build on your collection from there.

They are a lot of fun to shoot.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Another vote for the Mosin. It was my first firearm and rifle purchase, and I love it to death. The Mauser's ammunition is drying up and becoming more expensive, whereas the Mosin's ammunition is still fairly plentiful and inexpensive.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp