What is a better trigger accutrigger or timney - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

What is a better trigger accutrigger or timney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

IMO, any trigger with less than three pounds is getting too lightweight for hunting. when you start getting down to ounces, these should be reserved for target only rifles. also smoothness accounts for a lot. i have had trigger jobs done before that didn't change the trigger pull weight, but were smoothed out, and what a difference it made. i would have swore it was lighter in pull weight.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #12

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

A 3 lb. trigger will do just fine but a trigger that can be changed from a 3 lb. trigger to a 8 oz. trigger by simply setting it is a very good idea IMO. For most shots a 3 lb. trigger is fine especially if you're hunting deer or something else with a large vital area. But for that 50 yard shot at a squirrel (with a .22 obviously) or even that 250 yard shot at a deer a trigger like the set trigger on CZ and other rifles is a big help. And I see no reason not to have a trigger that's light as long as it's safe. That's how the AccuTriggers and their imitators work.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:02 AM   #13

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
IMO, any trigger with less than three pounds is getting too lightweight for hunting. when you start getting down to ounces, these should be reserved for target only rifles. also smoothness accounts for a lot. i have had trigger jobs done before that didn't change the trigger pull weight, but were smoothed out, and what a difference it made. i would have swore it was lighter in pull weight.
I will state that I use a 12oz trigger for hunting I like the shot to suprise me that allows me to focus on the sweet spot an slowly squeeze boom

Old 11-02-2011, 05:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
I will state that I use a 12oz trigger for hunting I like the shot to suprise me that allows me to focus on the sweet spot an slowly squeeze boom
i for one do not want any shot to suprise me. i like to know exactly what my rifle is going to do. IMO, from a safety standpoint there is no reason to have a "hair trigger" on a hunting rifle, and i really don't want one less than 3 lbs. on mine. now on my target rifles, i like less than 2 lbs. and even lower. i know from past experiance, with other firearms that have had trigger work done to them, that without changing the pull weight and just smoothing them out, they felt lighter than before and still had the same pull weight.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #15

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

i for one do not want any shot to suprise me. i like to know exactly what my rifle is going to do. IMO, from a safety standpoint there is no reason to have a "hair trigger" on a hunting rifle, and i really don't want one less than 3 lbs. on mine. now on my target rifles, i like less than 2 lbs. and even lower. i know from past experiance, with other firearms that have had trigger work done to them, that without changing the pull weight and just smoothing them out, they felt lighter than before and still had the same pull weight.
I do agree to a point about hair triggers with u but my hunting rifle is what I also use for very long range target shooting I shoot a christensen arms built 300 ultra mag 32 inch barrel leupold 5x20x50 talley rings an bases I shoot it alot at 1000 plus but I have not nor will I ever take a shot over 400 yards on game no reason to make shots like that even tho I am very much able to do so I restrain myself I wouldnt want the risk of a gut shot or worse we as hunters must do our part an make only humane kills thats my thoughts tho

Old 11-05-2011, 05:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
I do agree to a point about hair triggers with u but my hunting rifle is what I also use for very long range target shooting I shoot a christensen arms built 300 ultra mag 32 inch barrel leupold 5x20x50 talley rings an bases I shoot it alot at 1000 plus but I have not nor will I ever take a shot over 400 yards on game no reason to make shots like that even tho I am very much able to do so I restrain myself I wouldnt want the risk of a gut shot or worse we as hunters must do our part an make only humane kills thats my thoughts tho
i am vaguely familiar with those rifle as have read about them. but just my suggestion would be to consider a two stage trigger for a rifle that does double duty as a hunting and target rifle. first stage at about three lbs. and the second at under a pound? that way you have the best of both worlds with one rifle. a safer hunting rifle and a light trigger for when you're target shooting. just a thought.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:33 AM   #17

Liked 61 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I too like to know when my gun is going to fire. I have recently been doing a lot of shooting with my Mosins and the suprise me when they finally go off, but that is the other extreme, The Mosdin has desensatized my trigger finger so much I have adjusted my Rem 700, Stevens 200 and the Timney in my 91/30 because they were too light. The Rem was so light that if I could feel the trigger it already fired. I decided to opt on the side of safety. If all my rifles had the same trigger pull it might be a different story but I've had more flyers due to too light of a trigger than too heavy. My hands are all bent and twisted due to arthritis so i try to have a trigger that suits me best.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 11-06-2011 at 12:39 AM.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post
Actually Marlin has a trigger that is nearly identical to the AccuTrigger now. But of course that name is a brand name for Savage triggers. They have 3 different levels of AccuTriggers too BTW.

And if you want the best Savage trigger you can find I'd look at Sharp Shooter Supply. The Evolution trigger is the one the Savage crowd all wants on their rifle but it isn't cheap by any means. The Competition trigger is good too and would be better than the Rifle Basix trigger according to what people say on the Savage board.
I didn't know this.....I'm good with the Accutrigger that I have in my Savage, I mean that gun shot 1/2 inch groups right out of the box. I just love that Trigger and can't imagine a better one.

I'm mobile or else I'd post a pic.