What is a better trigger accutrigger or timney
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What is a better trigger accutrigger or timney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What is a better trigger accutrigger or timney

Wanting to put a hair pin trigger in my 22 250 and thinking of timney but I've shot accu and like that to.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmarine762 View Post
Wanting to put a hair pin trigger in my 22 250 and thinking of timney but I've shot accu and like that to.
accu-trigger is only on savage rifles. what type of rifle do you have? because timney makes triggers for lots of different rifles. is your 22-250 a hunting rifle? because if it is, then anything below about 3 lbs is probably too dangerous for a hunting rifle. a lot of target and benchrest shooters use really light weight trigger pulls because the rifle sits in one position and never gets moved around, so they can get by with light weight triggers.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #3

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

If you have to have a better trigger ,Ok but for a hunting rifle the accu-trigger is fine. If you need better look to rifle basix trigger groups for a savage rifle. Good adjustable trigger that will go lighter in pull weight. I have a timmney on a ruger77 mk2 and it also is a very good trigger but not ment for most hunters. And they no longer sell one that goes as light in weight. Go to a savage forum and talk to guys there about your trigger . Some tuneing can improve them but be very carefull.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

As Axxe55 said,The Accu-trigger is for Savage rifles only.
If you have a Pre-Accutrigger rifle,Kevin at Stockade Guns can/will install one for you.
I have a couple Timney triggers in my rifles,they are good triggers.But as others have said,you don't want a really lite weight trigger in a hunting rifle.In general a 3-4lb trigger is great for hunting.

What brand,model of rifle is it that you are wanting to put a new trigger in?
There are many types of aftermarket triggers you can buy,but they are all brand,model specific.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

You might want to check out Rifle Basix. Excellent company and excellent product. Highly tunable and definitely field orientated.

Timney makes a great trigger, I just think Rifle Basix is a better value.

YMMV

JD

Old 10-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #6

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Actually Marlin has a trigger that is nearly identical to the AccuTrigger now. But of course that name is a brand name for Savage triggers. They have 3 different levels of AccuTriggers too BTW.

And if you want the best Savage trigger you can find I'd look at Sharp Shooter Supply. The Evolution trigger is the one the Savage crowd all wants on their rifle but it isn't cheap by any means. The Competition trigger is good too and would be better than the Rifle Basix trigger according to what people say on the Savage board.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:07 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post
The Evolution trigger is the one the Savage crowd all wants on their rifle but it isn't cheap by any means.
That's just a matter of opinion. I'm happy with the factory Accu-Triggers,and the Pre-Accutrigger guns that I've done myself.
There are plenty of mod's that can be done to the factory triggers,and they will be a lot better than stock,and still be very safe.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:20 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
That's just a matter of opinion. I'm happy with the factory Accu-Triggers,and the Pre-Accutrigger guns that I've done myself.
There are plenty of mod's that can be done to the factory triggers,and they will be a lot better than stock,and still be very safe.
I agree. I have the same opinion. The standard accutrigger on my savage is as light as i care to go. Any lighter and i feel like i lose control of the gun.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-25-2011, 03:48 AM   #9

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

+1 accutrigger

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 10-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #10

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
All I said was that the people who post on the Savage board all say the Evo trigger is by far the best. As for how light a trigger should be that probably is more about what the gun will be used for than anything else. But the Evo trigger is adjustable.

Personally I don't have a problem with the Target AccuTrigger on my Savage 12 LRPV either. It will go down to 6 oz. but the sear block kicks in every time you close the bolt if you set it that low. About 12 oz. is pretty much as far as I can go and still have things work well.

The Evo trigger will go down to about 2 oz. though. If you're into long range target shooting a super light trigger is a good thing to have. Heck I have a S&W revolver with about a 4 oz. trigger on it. That's in SA mode. It probably has a 5-6 oz trigger in DA mode.

But there is more to a trigger than pull weight. From what I've read the Evo trigger will adjust in about 3 or 4 different ways (over travel, pre-travel, etc.) so that a person can pretty much set a rifle up how they want it. One thing is pretty obvious though. Rifles with the Evo trigger are demonstrably more accurate than rifles with a regular AT or a Target AT. But if you're using your rifle strictly for hunting it's probably best not to go with an Evo trigger.

Again these are things I've read there and a lot of people post the same info. I suppose if you want to argue with someone you should go over to that board and argue with them. I clearly said I was repeating what I had read on that board which was written by people who are totally into Savage rifles. I like Savage rifles myself which is why I read the info there. I think that it might be a good idea for you to hear them out before deciding you know the AT is better. At this point you're just making assumptions. I really don't know what to think. I just know what they say on that board. I also know there is a waiting list of about 2 years to even get one of those triggers because the people at SSS install them and they don't get in a hurry about doing it because they don't hire people to do the work for them. They do it all themselves. With a following like that I'd say they must be doing something right.

I certainly know that there are ways to make the factory trigger better but that doesn't mean it will be as good as the Evo trigger. Sometimes DIY trigger fixes can be trouble as we all know.