Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What is the best whitetail hunting rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Snipers useing the m24 have turned a battle around and say that the bullet dorsnt slow down enough to really hit hard untill 600 yards they say it will take em off there feet and i kill a deer dead at about 250 yards with a 308. Droped it heart shot.

guns don't kill people, people kill people and if they take our guns then the bad guys will have them and we won't thay will be fear less of us.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #42

Liked 207 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 15

There is a difference in punching whole in a man at 800 to 1000 yards than takeing a deer down humanly and not haveing to trake it all over the country side but the 308 is a man killer at long distance for sure.

A 7.62x51 -m118 fmj aamo has between 550 and 740 lb of energy at 800 and 100. So useing those number that would be like shooting someone with hard ball ammo at point blank range from a 185gr 45acp DD ammo at the muzzle and a 10mm 180gr fmj ammo at the muzzle. Might not kill you out right with a fmj bullet but sure will punch on thru you and blead you out . Then it all about shot placement right. centermass backbone is gone. Head or heart it will do the same. Now these numbers are off a few fps but real close for those that can't quit get it.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #43

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

True i dont suggest take a shot at deer at that range but most deer shats are at around 100 to 300 yards in most places not all

guns don't kill people, people kill people and if they take our guns then the bad guys will have them and we won't thay will be fear less of us.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1059 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 1966

A .308 will kill deer well in excesses of 300 yards, but very few hunters are capable of killing deer well in excesses of 300 yards with a .308 or any other caliber for that matter. Bullets start dropping like rocks past 300 yards.

The trend in bullet selection has been to go with faster flatter bullets just to get those extra yards past 300 before the bullet starts dropping like a rock. The problem with that is those bullets are moving too fast within 300 yards. The best deer round of all time within 100-150 yards is the venerable .30WCF (.30-30). So if the .30-30 is perfect within 100 yards its not hard to imagine the latest supper mag being just a little too fast. By too fast I don't mean over kill. I mean the bullet simply goes through the deer so fast that not enough energy is transferred from the bullet to the deer (unless you squarely hit some bones).

The .308 is moving slow enough to be effective at close range but it also has enough speed to shoot fairly flat out to 300 yards. For me that makes it the best all around caliber for whitetails. Anything over 300 yards with a .308 will require work on the part of the hunter to learn how to accurately shoot that far.

You can go to a faster caliber for a flatter trajectory to give you that extra yardage without having to make large adjustments, but then you give up effectiveness at closer ranges. Keep in mind the vast majority of deer killed are well under 300 yards. I would guess 90 percent are within 100 yards? Of course where you live and hunt is important. I live in the east and everything I wrote is based on that. Out west in flat open country I might go with a .270 or 7mm Mag? In a swamp I might go with a .30-30. I think of all those other calibers as great for specialty situations, but the .308 is my favorite all around general purpose caliber. Of course there are also a lot of other really good general purpose calibers, the .308 just happens to be my favorite.

At least that's my .02

Old 07-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #45

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Nikon makes bdr scope that will take some the guess work but your gun and bullet has to match and you have to pratice

Old 07-23-2012, 12:20 AM   #46

Liked 131 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
A .308 will kill deer well in excesses of 300 yards, but very few hunters are capable of killing deer well in excesses of 300 yards with a .308 or any other caliber for that matter. Bullets start dropping like rocks past 300 yards.

The trend in bullet selection has been to go with faster flatter bullets just to get those extra yards past 300 before the bullet starts dropping like a rock. The problem with that is those bullets are moving too fast within 300 yards. The best deer round of all time within 100-150 yards is the venerable .30WCF (.30-30). So if the .30-30 is perfect within 100 yards its not hard to imagine the latest supper mag being just a little too fast. By too fast I don't mean over kill. I mean the bullet simply goes through the deer so fast that not enough energy is transferred from the bullet to the deer (unless you squarely hit some bones).

The .308 is moving slow enough to be effective at close range but it also has enough speed to shoot fairly flat out to 300 yards. For me that makes it the best all around caliber for whitetails. Anything over 300 yards with a .308 will require work on the part of the hunter to learn how to accurately shoot that far.

You can go to a faster caliber for a flatter trajectory to give you that extra yardage without having to make large adjustments, but then you give up effectiveness at closer ranges. Keep in mind the vast majority of deer killed are well under 300 yards. I would guess 90 percent are within 100 yards? Of course where you live and hunt is important. I live in the east and everything I wrote is based on that. Out west in flat open country I might go with a .270 or 7mm Mag? In a swamp I might go with a .30-30. I think of all those other calibers as great for specialty situations, but the .308 is my favorite all around general purpose caliber. Of course there are also a lot of other really good general purpose calibers, the .308 just happens to be my favorite.

At least that's my .02
Bullet deformation is force over time, not time alone. If it expands properly farther out at lesser V then it will probably come apart up close- not zip through "too fast".

I've heard of some long range shooters going hunting and using their super duper tight grouping match bullets, that zipped right through up close (and they would do the same if the shot was farther out).

Old 07-23-2012, 12:23 AM   #47

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yep good bullet equals dead deer like a vmax

Old 07-23-2012, 12:41 AM   #48

Liked 131 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post

At least that's my .02
Ever heard of a 7mm-08?

Old 07-23-2012, 01:22 AM   #49

Liked 205 Times on 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

but Kycol, you know you're blind in one eye and can't see out the other! just funning with you!
Ha ha wife just read me what you wrote...............lol

Old 07-23-2012, 01:35 AM   #50
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19605 Times on 11128 Posts
Likes Given: 49359

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol View Post
Ha ha wife just read me what you wrote...............lol
i thought you might like that! just wanted to get you stirred up!

very seldom in our part of Texas do we ever get any really long shots on deer. most are under 125 yrds, and seldom ever go past 250 yrds.