What is the best way to measure barel length?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What is the best way to measure barel length?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 03:59 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1787 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1547

Default What is the best way to measure barel length?

What is the best/proper way to measure the length of a rifle barrel that is already attached to the receiver?

Is the chamber length considered part of the barrel length for measuring?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2013, 04:42 AM   #2

Liked 1983 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 1318

Put the bolt in the forward position. But a cleaning rod in the barrel until it touches the bolt. Mark with a pen. Now measure the rod. The Feds will drop a pre cut rod into the barrel. If it does not stick out your barrel is too short.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

DFlynt Likes This 
Old 02-10-2013, 04:45 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1787 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Put the bolt in the forward position. But a cleaning rod in the barrel until it touches the bolt. Mark with a pen. Now measure the rod. The Feds will drop a pre cut rod into the barrel. If it does not stick out your barrel is too short.
Thank you!

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 02-10-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Rick is exactly correct and that is the most accurate way of determining barrel length. many people will actually go an extra half to one inch over tp err on the side of it being legal.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:12 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5921 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 416

That measurement is only what is non removable on the barrel. So if you have a compensator or flash hider and its not permanently attached as in welded or pinned it doesnt count on length.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 02-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9385 Times on 4047 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

Above is correct for rifles, shotguns and pistols, with the exception of revolvers.

Weapons should be cocked, so firing pin does not protrude, rod should be close to bore diameter, so you are not measuring an angled line thru the barrel.

With revolvers, open the cylinder, place a flat object across the forcing cone, THEN insert rod, mark, withdraw and measure.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:35 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Maybe I'm thinking of this wrong somehow but if it's a pre-measured rod at the minimum legal length, and it sticks out then the barrel must be too short right?

Old 02-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #8

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

That's what Rick meant...