what is the best barrel - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > what is the best barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

For a new barrel I would really look at getting the 5r barrel over a standard 6 grove. . Much better set up and the theory behind the idea looks very sound to me.

5-R Rifling

As far as the 308 you can get plenty of cartridges chambered with the same bolt face that will provide you a much better 1000 yard gun. Look at the 260 remington or 7mm-08 both will provide you with much better down range performance than a 308. Also look at the 6.5-284 and the 284 both of these will really give you more performance over the 308.

That is unless you are going to buy a much of Federal GMM or Black hills 175gr match loads and have the barrel throated to that specific load.

To shoot 1000 yards the cartridge doesn't have to have MAGNUM in the name.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:01 AM   #12

I am almost certain most of my shooting will be done well under the 1000yd mark,but i do want to fling some way out there from time to time just to learn what i need to know to be able to do it,and be fairly good at it.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Some of the best barrel makers are all from Minnesota.
Minnesota??

Krieger, Bartlein, Brux, Badger, Obermeyer, and Broughton are all in Wisconsin! Granted, a lot of east and west coasters don't know the difference between Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin or anywhere else they consider "fly-over country", but I work 5 miles from Krieger and Bartlein and I know they are in Wisconsin.

I have great shooting barrels from Krieger, Obermeyer, and Brux. I would also recommend Bartlein as they are ex-Krieger guys I know are doing great work.

Fast Ed

Last edited by Fast Ed; 03-29-2010 at 08:30 PM.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Ed View Post
Minnesota??

Krieger, Bartlein, Brux, Badger, Obermeyer, and Broughton are all in Wisconsin! Granted, a lot of east and west coasters don't know the difference between Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin or anywhere else they consider "fly-over country", but I work 5 miles from Krieger and Bartlein and I know they are in Wisconsin.

I have great shooting barrels from Krieger, Obermeyer, and Brux. I would also recommend Bartlein as they are ex-Krieger guys I know are doing great work.

Fast Ed
*Doh!*

You're right. It's one of those snow covered states.