Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > what is the best barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2010, 03:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default what is the best barrel

I guess im getting a little excited about building a rifle, so lets just say i have a good action to start a rifle with, now! what are some of the best or is the best barrel to enlarge bullet holes with, one that i will have for years to come and know that when i pull it out of the safe its gonna perform, as long as i do my thing. im like a little kid with the thought of a new toy,lol.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-20-2010, 03:30 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

What caliber? What length are you looking for in your barrel? How far are you going to be shooting?

Some of the best barrel makers are all from Minnesota.

Krieger Barrels

Mike Rock

Bartlein

Any of those barrels will flat out shoot most of the people on this, or just about any other, forum.

I have 2 Kriegers and I have a Mike Rock 5R being put on my .308 in a configuration change.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:53 AM   #3

If i do go with a short action howa, it will be 308, 26" barrel, capable of 1000 yds if needed,i have not shot this far yet but i am going to work up to it,but for the most part shorter ranges most of the time. i have a 300 win mag, and 7mm rem mag,both very good shooters, i just want a good custom rifle that i have made and want to do it right but save as much money as i can in the process.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:57 AM   #4

Brux seems to be making a good name for themselves also. I think the 600 yard B/R record is currently held by a Brux barrel. Prices are starting to close in on Krieger, about the same as Bartlein. Brux's delivery time is still a few, or several , depending, weeks faster than any of the aforementioned.

I am not sure if it's possible to name a "best" barrel. If you look at the equipment specs for the top BR shooters, you'll see a commonality (currently Krieger I think). But is that because Krieger is the "best"? I am betting it has more to do with trend. If shooter A scores with a Krieger, then you can bet others will give a Krieger barrel a try, and the trend continues. These are guys who look for any edge which they need when winning or losing comes down to thousandths of an inch.

Unless you're a true BR guy who tweaks EVERY LITTLE piece of equipment, up to and including loading you ammo outside at the range, in the ambient temps you plan to shoot in, it might be difficult to notice a difference in the several top of the line barrels.

I have a Brux coming in .222 Remington which I hope should be here in a few more weeks. It's going to be part of my low rent varmint project which I'll report on soon hopefully.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 03-20-2010, 03:58 AM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Ricardo, before you go ANY further, I am going to insist that you buy and read:

The Ultimate Sniper by Maj. John Plaster ( Retired ) *link doesn't work*

This book is going to save you a TON of money and disappointment in misconceptions of what the .308 will do, and what it will NOT do.

Trust me. I have a .308 that was built from the ground up to be a tactical, long range, Zombie life taker. Even that rifle is NOT a 1,000 yard killer.

You would be better served getting your 300 Win mag or your 7mm rebarreled for 1,000 yard shooting than building a .308 from the ground up for the exact same purpose.

JD

Old 03-20-2010, 04:20 AM   #6

I have honestly thought about doing that, both of my rifles are shooting 1/2" groups at 100yds prone, one is a winchester laredo LRH 7mag, the 300 win mag is a savage 110fcp-k just bought last fall, so would they handle the long range stuff ? i mainly am just itchin to have a new toy that i can shoot,drool on and sleep with if need be,jk on the latter.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:22 AM   #7

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I'm rather fond of Krieger barrels.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:44 AM   #8

Dillinger, I have heard that book mentioned before ,i guess i will give it a good read and see what happens next,i will check out the krieger barrels to, thanks guys for the info.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:45 AM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Good advice from JD.

The .308 runs out of steam around 800. It is too unstable and slow past that distance for most applications.

I shoot it at 1,000 regularly and it is not efficient enough. Your .300WM is a better choice. Or have your short action done in .260Rem.

And while there are many excellent bbl makers out there, the Krieger bbls are tough to beat.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #10

If you're primarily going to be shooting @ 1000 yds, then go with the 300 Win Mag or something similar. I doubt that the OP has to worry about the "killing" ability @ 1000 yds, as I'd guess it's unlikely he's going to be doing any 1000-yd killing.

You might find that shooting at 10 football fields' distance isn't as exotic as you might think. Could be that most of your shooting will be done @ 600 yds and under, in which case, the .308 will do anything you want to do.