What is the best "bang for your buck" .308 bolt-action rifle?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What is the best "bang for your buck" .308 bolt-action rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default What is the best "bang for your buck" .308 bolt-action rifle?

I am considering getting a bolt-action rifle in .308. I will NOT be shooting at things further away than 300 yards or so, not if i have to walk that far to pick them up, maybe if they were biodegradable (melons). I would like to have iron sights to back up the scope. I would be happy with a milsurp in .308 & bolt, but i don't know of a milsurp bolt gun in .308.

Any ideas?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #2

Liked 183 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 102

What the el are iron sights? The last shooter i've seen with them were either scout rifles or an overpriced Remmy. You might be stuck getting a smooth top....or you might have to cruise the pawn shops and see what they have floating around. What's your budget?

Old 03-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #3

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
I am considering getting a bolt-action rifle in .308. I will NOT be shooting at things further away than 300 yards or so, not if i have to walk that far to pick them up, maybe if they were biodegradable (melons). I would like to have iron sights to back up the scope. I would be happy with a milsurp in .308 & bolt, but i don't know of a milsurp bolt gun in .308.

Any ideas?
Marlin x7s 308 damn fine gun its new in box here for $319.99 has adjustable trigger ,fit an finish is very good an they are tack drivers

Old 03-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

NAGANT would be a good cheap alternative.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Good point on the ironsights! I am not a bolt-gun person or a long-range target poker, traditionally. I am considering extending my usual range a bit by picking up a decent rifle for a 200-300 yard shot. I may do a little hunting with the rifle (deer, maybe a really dumb hog), or it may end up being a target-poking toy. If i do take it hunting down here, where there is usually THICK brush/concealment, I would much prefer to have some irons on it for a defensive shot.

Budget, maybe $1000, including an optic. Given the cost of some scopes, i realize that probably limits my options, but i am curious what is out there. If there is nothing worth having in that price range, fine; i have other uses for the cash.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
NAGANT would be a good cheap alternative.
I considered a Mosin and will probably pick one up at some point, if for no other reason than to take advantage of the inexpensive surplus ammo. However, mounting a scope on one is a compromise situation; i'm thinking more of a "optic-ready" rifle.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
Marlin x7s 308 damn fine gun its new in box here for $319.99 has adjustable trigger ,fit an finish is very good an they are tack drivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Good point on the ironsights! I am not a bolt-gun person or a long-range target poker, traditionally. I am considering extending my usual range a bit by picking up a decent rifle for a 200-300 yard shot. I may do a little hunting with the rifle (deer, maybe a really dumb hog), or it may end up being a target-poking toy. If i do take it hunting down here, where there is usually THICK brush/concealment, I would much prefer to have some irons on it for a defensive shot.

Budget, maybe $1000, including an optic. Given the cost of some scopes, i realize that probably limits my options, but i am curious what is out there. If there is nothing worth having in that price range, fine; i have other uses for the cash.
mulie has a good suggestion on a good rifle. i have one in 308 also with the 26" heavy barrel. very accurate and well made. i paid $370 for mine and that still leaves quite a bit in your budget for a good scope.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #8

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

mulie has a good suggestion on a good rifle. i have one in 308 also with the 26" heavy barrel. very accurate and well made. i paid $370 for mine and that still leaves quite a bit in your budget for a good scope.
Axxe and mulie have the best ideas. Either buy the marlin x7 or hit the pawn shops.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 03-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5982 Times on 3130 Posts
Likes Given: 426

bolt guns are usually exclusive either irons or scope. ones like the ruger scout dont really do either that well AND its pricey.

if your talking dangerous game rifles they do both REALLLLLLY well but they tend to only come in larger calibers like 375hh and up.

are you dead set on 308 bolt action??

if not you might find a suitable 300-400yd gun in a lever action. the marlins are very good and come tapped for scope base and iron sights. my 45-70 reaches out to 300yds very easily and is about a 1-2 moa shooter. if your a handloader its very very versatile.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #10

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
bolt guns are usually exclusive either irons or scope. ones like the ruger scout dont really do either that well AND its pricey.

if your talking dangerous game rifles they do both REALLLLLLY well but they tend to only come in larger calibers like 375hh and up.

are you dead set on 308 bolt action??

if not you might find a suitable 300-400yd gun in a lever action. the marlins are very good and come tapped for scope base and iron sights. my 45-70 reaches out to 300yds very easily and is about a 1-2 moa shooter. if your a handloader its very very versatile.
Marlin also has a 308 lever action called the xlr that is scope capable w iron sights

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did