What barrel for a m700 action would you like?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What barrel for a m700 action would you like?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What barrel for a m700 action would you like?

Twist? Length? Finish? Material?

Guns Don't kill people... Stupid people kill people with Guns!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2011, 01:24 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Caliber? Intentions? Application(s)?

Help us, help you.

JD

Old 11-22-2011, 01:51 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Target and hunting is gonna be the use. Would like it to be capable for tight groups at 250yrds plus. Reasonable I believe. I'm a descent enough aim to hit that. Ot 6 for the caliber. I'm not crazy about ss finish, but if its more functionality for some reason than y not. This is for my first bolt action build, so I would like to do it rite but not damage my pockets to bad.

Last edited by Ryno702; 11-22-2011 at 05:14 AM.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #4

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You allready have a very good smithy to use right?? OH YOUR POCKETS WILL SCREAM BEFORE ITS DONE.HEHEHAHA A good barrel will be 400 dollars + and still need to be chambered and fit. If the smithy likes use Kreiger or douglas with around a #6 barrel contour with a 24" or longer lenght that would be my choice . SS only and if finish is a problem have it bead blaster or dura coated. Barrel twist will be more your choice for bullet weight talk to your smithy or use the barrel companies info to deside. You will look to upgrade a trigger too? Work with your smithy on details. Most of what we might prefer may not be what he would advise and to a point it does pay to listen to a great smithy. Just besure hes a very good one. Useing the best parts in the world means nothing with out good smithy .

Maybe your rifle needs to be cleaned well and accuraised. Many times groups will be cut buy around half on a bad shooter. Under 500 dollars can do that buy a number of smithies. Not many -06's will shoot out the barrels on hunting rifles over a couple life times. This maybe a way to get what you want and control cost. New or reworked trigger , bedded action. Even a chamber refit to close up tolerences.

I have a ruger 77 mkII with a kreiger 28" barrel and laminated Boyd's stock timney trigger in 7 rem mag and it will shoot factory ammo at or under 2" at 400 yards. Hand loads allmost half that size. makes for a nice but a little heavy hunter. Check out Boonie's Safari Sling for use in the woods. Not your average sling. Easy to shoot from and can leave you hands free too.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:16 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great response hard. Thank you. I do have a good smithy and would like to do as much as I can myself. Just Getn thoughts and peoples experiences.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno702 View Post
Target and hunting is gonna be the use. Would like it to be capable for tight groups at 250yrds plus. Reasonable I believe. I'm a descent enough aim to hit that. Ot 6 for the caliber. I'm not crazy about ss finish, but if its more functionality for some reason than y not. This is for my first bolt action build, so I would like to do it rite but not damage my pockets to bad.

Given this criteria I would think a medium contour, to possibly light contour depending on how far you hike when you hunt, would be suitable for your needs.

The .30-06, I presume (?? – you said .06, but there are others), is a pretty good round for ballistics and can be reloaded for just about anything you need to hunt in North America.

Barrel makers?

For the best in accuracy, IMHO, you want a single point, cut rifled barrel. They have been doing this way for years now and with the technology today they are turning out a MUCH better product that the standard button rifled barrel or the cold hammer forged barrels.

Kreiger is the top of just about everyone’s list, but there is another “style” coming on hard and fast that you might want to look into.

Rock Creek Barrels are not new, but they are newer guys on the block and have been getting awesome reviews.

I put one on my .308 tactical rig and it shoots amazing groups with FGGM “factory” ammo. The 5R, and 7R, is the new up and comer in long range shooting. So much so that Kreiger has recently added them to their planned line up.

Either of those makers, with a competent gunsmith, will be able to produce a rifle that will probably both out shoot your current skill set and be a great hand me down unless you plan on putting thousands of rounds a year down range, and even then, the barrel like is good in a caliber like .03-06

JD

Old 11-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #7

I forgot to answer your question concerning twist rate and length. The .25-06 and the .30-06 both have a listed, “middle of the road” performance of a 1:10 twist barrel.

This could be modified if you had plans on reloading a specific pressure cartridge, but then we are getting into tailoring it to your specific load and that is something that needs to be addressed with your gunsmith prior to starting a build.

As for length, you are going to lose a little bit of built up pressure behind the round, so it will not achieve as high a rate of speed to target the shorter the barrel goes.

I would guess, based on just some quick numbers run through a free on line ballistics chart, is that from 24” to 18” you are going to lose about 90-100fps, with the 24” giving you higher fps and the 18” giving you less for the “standard” 180gr round.

Given this is going to also be a hunting rifle; I don’t see that drop in pressure as traumatic to the performance against the intended target. Obviously you will want the most you can get out of your weighted round of choice, which is why it’s a good idea to thoroughly discuss your intentions, hopes and wants with your gunsmith of choice so they are in the know.

Hope that helps –

JD