What accurate reliable 223 for hunting should I get?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > What accurate reliable 223 for hunting should I get?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What accurate reliable 223 for hunting should I get?

To put what I'm looking for in a short statement: I'm looking for a "cheap-er" gun(600-900$). That has the ability to shoot accurately at a distance(300-400 yards). Preferable easy to field strip, standard rifle design over tactical, and lighter weight. Reliability and accuracy are my to biggest factors with.. possibly easy to field strip at third.

I'm looking for a reliable accurate 223 to hunt with, and possibly backpacking. ect. Just a light gun to cary around. I am trying to stay around 600-900$ but thats just an aproxament budget, I would prefer to stay there though.--(I know you get what you pay for and I'd rather have something that would last and get the job done.)
Mostly what I am looking for in the gun is accuracy and reliability. I want to be able to shoot a good 300-400yr. easily. Reliability and ruggedness is another priority, I live in south Louisiana, and it rains a lot, and is constantly humid. not a whole ton of dust or snow, just a lot of water and mud.

Some of what else I'm looking for, but not as crucially important is being easily field stripped, and I am more so leaning toward the standard rifle design more than the "M-16" designs. However, on a rifle such as the kel-tec SU 16 the ability to fold up and fit in a backpack and light weight might be an exception on the "style" of firearm. I'd rather something more to the look of the ruger mine 14 over the AR 15 or M-16 though. (this isn't a big deal to me however, and if the tactical design is more accurate and reliable at the same or cheaper cost then I'd go with more bang for the buck!)

I mentioned up above accuracy and being lightweight, and I don't want to contradict myself on the fact that, generally, a heaver gun will be more accurate than I lighter one; or at least from my understanding(I wouldn't be to surprised if I'm wrong though) ect....

((I read on a site that the Ruger mini 14 newer model had improved accuracy over the original one, how much did the accuracy improved? Also I read the gas chamber can rust easily, is this only in the original model or in both and is it a "big" deal. [I live in a very wet area of the country]))

What is your opinion of the Kel-Tec SU 16. Will it have the reliability and accuracy I want. what else is out there on the market?

Thanks, Francis

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-30-2009, 12:18 AM   #2

Liked 1089 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 340

First of all, stop by the intro section and introduce yourself. If you do that you will get more and more detailed responses. We like to support people we know, not just flash in the pan posters.

Second, are you only looking at semi-auto guns? I think a bolt action would suit the purpose you are describing much better, easier to clean and more accurate at 3-400 yards. Also they are less expensive. 600-900 might be difficult with a semi-auto but not difficult with a bolt action rifle, if you are including a scope and although I am not a hunter 300 yards seems pretty far for an open sight kill shot.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 11-30-2009, 12:43 AM   #3

Sorry about not doing that, I didn't really think about that.
---Haven't been to a form so friendly.. so to speak---

I'm pretty much set on a semi auto. I wouldn't mind a bolt, but for the most part a semi is more what I want. And yes your right, I think 300 would be pretty far for open sites. I wasn't counting in the cost of a scope, I have a few laying around.
600-900$ is more of what I want to pay right now. I'm more so buying it just to shoot, and to have a lighter weight gun to carry around than my 30-06, AND the cheaper ammunition. I don't mean I want to pay 3000 for the gun, but if its a few hundred more and worth it, then I'd save for it.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:14 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1179 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Well,If you are wanting a 223 caliber semi auto rifle to shoot 300-400 yrds you can rule out the Kel-tec and the Mini 14.

You also need to figure out what weight of bullets you would like to shoot,so you can get a barrel that has the correct twist to stabilize the bullet.
If I plan on shooting my AR's 300+ yrds,I usually load up 68 or 75gr bullets and you will need atleast a 1-8 twist barrel to stabilize them,or 1-7 for anything heavier. Most production rifles have a 1-9,1-10,1-12 twist and won't shoot heavier bullets,and shooting a lighter bullet at long range is useless if there is any wind.You won't come close to hitting your target.

Not to be a smartass,but with the budget you have set,your best bet would be a Stevens 200 in 223 or whatever caliber you choose. Savage makes some of the most accurate out of the box rifles you can buy,and Stevens is made by them. And spend the rest of your budget on some quality optics and what ever else you need and have fun shooting.

Here's a link to Stevens:Stevens Model 200 Short Action

Old 11-30-2009, 01:27 AM   #5

I have a DPMS Sweet 16. It's an AR, of course, with a free-floated 16" Bull barrel. It's not real light, but light enough for me and the gain in accuracy is a plus. If you want light, I'd go with the savage model 25(bolt action). It has a detachable box magazine for quick ammo changes. I'm seriously looking at one.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Not to be a smartass,but with the budget you have set,your best bet would be a Stevens 200 in 223 or whatever caliber you choose. Savage makes some of the most accurate out of the box rifles you can buy,and Stevens is made by them. And spend the rest of your budget on some quality optics and what ever else you need and have fun shooting.

Here's a link to Stevens:Stevens Model 200 Short Action
not a semi auto, but a fine rifle for the price i would think. and it's pre drilled for a scope. if i was in the market i might get one in 7mm-08. the two savages i've fired (model 110 in .30-06 and model 64f in .22lr) were very accurate.

or, since the op already has a .30-06 that has all the killing power he needs and just wants a semi auto to shot cheaply there is always the ruger 10/22 in .22lr that a lot of people in this forum like. it's a semi and it shoots the cheapest ammo out there. there is even a guy in this forum that does professional trigger jobs on them for like 60 bucks.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:43 AM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

You can get a nice Remington 700 VLS, or SPS Varmint in that price range. I am known as the local Remmy fanboy in these parts.

Or you can get a tikka t3 lite in 223 I believe. These are very good guns made by Beretta. They are Beretta's SPS line (In Remington terms SPS being thier low budget line).

My VLS in 223 will whack a ground hog out to 300 yards. I have done this a few times with it. If I do my part that rifle never misses.

Your not going to get much in the semi auto department for your price.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #8

Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

I would look at a CZ527 American for it's light weight and excellent accuracy. I have a 527 Varminter, it is outstanding. It is a micro Mauser action. You will need optics.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #9

HEy, thanks for all of yalls help.
I haven't completely made up my mind, but for know I am going to get a Ruger 10/22, or some other 22, ruger seems to be the best for the money.
And I think I am going to go with the newest version of the mini 14(soposably they fixed the major accuracy issues), it doesn't have quite the accuracy I wanted, but it will do.

I have a few questions:

Quote:
You also need to figure out what weight of bullets you would like to shoot,so you can get a barrel that has the correct twist to stabilize the bullet.
If I plan on shooting my AR's 300+ yrds,I usually load up 68 or 75gr bullets and you will need atleast a 1-8 twist barrel to stabilize them,or 1-7 for anything heavier. Most production rifles have a 1-9,1-10,1-12 twist and won't shoot heavier bullets,and shooting a lighter bullet at long range is useless if there is any wind.You won't come close to hitting your target.
If I have a barrel with a shorter twist length..(1-7) which is what I need to shoot heavier bullets more accurately. Can I still shoot lighter grain bullets just as accurate, at a shorter distance? And if I have a 1-9 twist will I still be able to shoot heavier bullets more accurately than lighter bullets at further distances, just not as accurately than with a sorter twist length? ect...

Will it "mess up the gun" to shoot a heavier bullet through a longer twist length or vice versa.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've got a DPMS "Sweet 16" and it's much more accurate than I would ever have guessed. The local gun store is selling both them, and the "Sportical" for 699. It's the best bang for the buck in .223/5.56 semiautos.

It won't mess anything up to shoot the wrong weight bullets-you just won't experience great accuracy when shooting them. A 1-9 twist is perhaps the best overall twist taking into account both plinking and hunting.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!