Wetherby Vangard 300 Win mag
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Wetherby Vangard 300 Win mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 03:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Wetherby Vangard 300 Win mag

I just purchased my first rifle that being a 300 Win mag. I had never shot a gun before up until yesterday at our local gun range. I must say it was fun up until the time my scope bit the top of my nose. That being said I found the stock on this rifle being fairly short for my long arm's. Can a guy purchase a longer rifle stock say around 16 inch's to replace my stock one that came on my gun. And can any one suggest where I could buy such an item. Thjanks very much for any feed back you can give me. Griz

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Welcome to the Forum Griz -

Stocks for the Howa 1500 / Weatherby Vanguard are being produced in mass now in the after market. Several makers are producing good, drop in styles like Bell & Carlson here in the US and Prairie Dog Rifles Stocks out of Australia.

There are also several custom stock makers out there that will craft you a custom built rifle stock, but they are pricey and the wait time is a bit of a pain in the rear.

I would be concerned with your 16" estimate though. I have a long reach and my stocks are 14.5" to fit for summer clothing and I take .5" off for anything winter related in my part of the country.

Have you actually measured your correct length of pull? Because the average, here in the US, is 13.5"

JD

Old 02-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #3

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

16" wow dude you got some ape hangers on you. Just kidding.

I think JD has a little walkthrew on how to measure your lop.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #4

Default 300 WinMag.

Thanks for the post Dillinger the reason I said 16 in stock length is because the old guy who is teaching me to shoot said after the scope hit my nose that I may need a longer stock so I just threw out a 16 in stock. Mine right now off my brand new Vangurd Back country is 13.58 in. So I thought a longer stock would be helpful. But me being new to this sport I could be wrong so thats why I posted a ? like this to see if any one out there could put me in the right direction. Thanks Griz.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Yeah, 16 inches on a length of pull is pretty enormous.

Really want you need to do is measure from the inside of your elbow, with your arm bent at 90 degrees, and measure the distance to the middle pad on your trigger finger. Basically that is your length of pull, modified by half an inch depending on seasonal clothing.

If you got scope bit with a 13.5" - it's one of two things. LOP is one of them and the other is not having a good check weld / poor paralax adjustment and being too close to the scope.

Check the measurement as above and see what you come out at. I would be surprised if you have a need for much more than around 14" - even if your over 6 foot tall. It's just not that common in our shop and the longest length of pull I have ever built for was 15".

JD

Old 02-07-2009, 01:43 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

wow from novice to 300 magnun. what a way to get started. most start with tamer cartridges. i am 6-4 with 37" sleeves and have no trouble shooting factory length stocks even in african aka elephant cartridges. what most likely happened to you was what is called "crawling the stock" which allows a person to get closer to the scope than normal when shooting off the bench.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:13 AM   #7

Default 300 Win Mag.

Thanks to all that responded to my ? and comments about getting a longer stock for my rifle. What I'm going to do is start off buying a recoil pad and possibly move my scope forward. Any ways your comments have been helpful. Griz