Westinghouse mosin nagant (update)
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Westinghouse mosin nagant (update)


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Today, 02:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Carlitofnx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 7
Default Westinghouse mosin nagant (update)

Last week i found a New england Westinghouse 30-06 mosin-nagant in a pawn shop i'm intrigued by it . while cleaning it i broke the ejector/interrupter and of course found no parts for it, I order one for an imperial mosin that will need to be modified to welcome the 30-06. It is also missing the cleaning rod.
The markings in the rifle look nothing like the ones posted all around the net so any information that the firearms community can give me will be helpful.


Now I haven't find a competent gunsmith yet but I got to fire the rifle yesterday and still in one piece. The ejector/interrupter was modified and replaced successfully. Still if someone can provide any information it is appreciated.


File Type: jpg 1455415386727.jpg (49.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 1455415463917.jpg (68.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 1455415493406.jpg (33.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 1455415527896.jpg (43.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 1455415547206.jpg (42.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 1455415578356.jpg (19.7 KB, 15 views)
Carlitofnx is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old Today, 02:46 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Iowa
Posts: 76
Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Well...the answer was in the number one google search item...found it in three minutes...

http://www.mosinnagant.net/ussr/US-Mosin-Nagants.asp

...and be sure to read it all the way to the end as it strictly warns against firing 30-06 conversions with modern loaded ammo, and states to deactivate your rifle to make it inoperable to fire. Looks like you are partway there...


__________________
I use my First Amendment right to freely excercise religion 24/7, and not just on Sundays 10 to noon.

Last edited by BuryTheHatchet; Today at 02:55 AM.
BuryTheHatchet is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:21 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Carlitofnx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 7
Default

Those markings look nothing like the ones in my rifle . I seen the article. I will not deactivate the rifle seems to shoot just alright. I have no serial numbers on the barrel or dates .
Carlitofnx is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:03 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Iowa
Posts: 76
Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

If you are talking about that circular cartouche in your picture, it is clearly mentioned in the fourth paragraph of that article. If it is lacking other marks, it may have never been delivered nor saw service in another country.

It may shoot fine, just be aware that rechambering the rifle to 30-06 has set the barrel back. The current chamber is now located in the thinner part of the barrel. I'm not being a jackwagon, nor the internet safety police, just making sure you are aware of what is in your hands.
__________________
I use my First Amendment right to freely excercise religion 24/7, and not just on Sundays 10 to noon.

Last edited by BuryTheHatchet; Today at 05:16 AM.
BuryTheHatchet is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:39 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10,545
Liked 5524 Times on 3700 Posts
Likes Given: 2855

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlitofnx View Post
Last week i found a New england Westinghouse 30-06 mosin-nagant in a pawn shop i'm intrigued by it . while cleaning it i broke the ejector/interrupter and of course found no parts for it, I order one for an imperial mosin that will need to be modified to welcome the 30-06. It is also missing the cleaning rod.
The markings in the rifle look nothing like the ones posted all around the net so any information that the firearms community can give me will be helpful.


Now I haven't find a competent gunsmith yet but I got to fire the rifle yesterday and still in one piece. The ejector/interrupter was modified and replaced successfully. Still if someone can provide any information it is appreciated.
The stamp translates as "English Contract". This rifle was originally chambered in 7.62x54 but never delivered tothe Russian Imperial Government. After 1918 it became surplus and eventually was converted to 30-06.

Last edited by Mercator; Today at 05:41 AM.
Mercator is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:29 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
trigger643's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 274
Liked 244 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Default

Now that you have posted images of the entire rifle...

Here is a page out of the Bannerman Catalog advertising it. It was one of about 100,000 (+/- 50,000), they converted 1920's-1930's from the failed imperial contract and called "the Russian Springfield". Some of these rifles sat in the Remington and Westinhouse warehouses until Bannerman bought them, some where acquired by the US first and issued stateside before being acquired by Bannerman surplus. They were available as a carbine (top), and as a rifle (bottom). Yours is the carbine.

You won't have serial # or date on the barrel as that was cut off when the barrel was set back.

Westinghouse mosin nagant (update) - General Rifle Discussion

http://russian-mosin-nagant.com/Bannerman/

Barrel Pre-Conversion:

Westinghouse mosin nagant (update) - General Rifle Discussion

Barrel Post-Conversion:

Westinghouse mosin nagant (update) - General Rifle Discussion

If it was US acquired, it was also have eagle heads hear and there and a US ordnance flaming bomb forward of the mag well on the stock, like so (note the inconsistent length of set back from above, this is also a Bannerman conversion):

Westinghouse mosin nagant (update) - General Rifle Discussion
trigger643 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:06 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Carlitofnx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuryTheHatchet View Post
If you are talking about that circular cartouche in your picture, it is clearly mentioned in the fourth paragraph of that article. If it is lacking other marks, it may have never been delivered nor saw service in another country.

It may shoot fine, just be aware that rechambering the rifle to 30-06 has set the barrel back. The current chamber is now located in the thinner part of the barrel. I'm not being a jackwagon, nor the internet safety police, just making sure you are aware of what is in your hands.
I'm aware that rifles like this are potentially dangerous I treat them with respect at the same time I enjoy shooting a piece of history. Hopefully I can find a gunsmith that can tell me how unsafe this rifle it is and point with technical facts the weakness on the rifle .
Carlitofnx is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:07 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Carlitofnx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger643 View Post
Now that you have posted images of the entire rifle...

Here is a page out of the Bannerman Catalog advertising it. It was one of about 100,000 (+/- 50,000), they converted 1920's-1930's from the failed imperial contract and called "the Russian Springfield". Some of these rifles sat in the Remington and Westinhouse warehouses until Bannerman bought them, some where acquired by the US first and issued stateside before being acquired by Bannerman surplus. They were available as a carbine (top), and as a rifle (bottom). Yours is the carbine.

You won't have serial # or date on the barrel as that was cut off when the barrel was set back.

Westinghouse mosin nagant (update) - General Rifle Discussion

http://russian-mosin-nagant.com/Bannerman/

Barrel Pre-Conversion:

Westinghouse mosin nagant (update) - General Rifle Discussion

Barrel Post-Conversion:

Westinghouse mosin nagant (update) - General Rifle Discussion

If it was US acquired, it was also have eagle heads hear and there and a US ordnance flaming bomb forward of the mag well on the stock, like so (note the inconsistent length of set back from above, this is also a Bannerman conversion):

Westinghouse mosin nagant (update) - General Rifle Discussion
This was so much help thank you
Carlitofnx is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:26 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,263
Liked 801 Times on 561 Posts
Likes Given: 890

Default

It seems like the perfect rifle for cast lead loads.


__________________
Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.
jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
New england Westinghouse 30-06 mosin-nagant info Carlitofnx General Rifle Discussion 6 02-10-2016 01:05 AM
boyds mosin nagant stock & firefield mosin nagant pu scope mosin762 General Rifle Discussion 2 10-19-2013 10:05 PM
Mosin Nagant 91/30 thum1995 General Rifle Discussion 71 04-17-2013 09:45 PM
Mosin Nagant- where to get one? Stevodod General Rifle Discussion 5 03-17-2013 02:45 AM
Mosin nagant carbine or 1950 polish nagant trainer Nun Curio & Relic Discussion 4 10-12-2011 04:30 AM



Newest Threads