Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Well I did it but there was one funny thing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 02:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Well I did it but there was one funny thing

I got a bushmaster M4, a Saiga 410 and a Yugo Century Arms fold under stock AK. I got to shoot the Saiga before it rained then had to come in the house and just fondle them. Got some ammo, glasses, hearing protection, a red dot for the AR.

This is the funny part. It wouldn't be funny if I didn't know the store owner. I was messing around with the AK, pushing buttons, messing with the safety...I pushed the safety all the way up past the cover, straight up. It wouldn't go back in position and the trigger wouldn't work. Then I heard something hit the floor and the pin that holds the trigger had fallen out. The other pin forward of that was real loose too. I took the cover off and the trigger pin spring was laying in the bottom.

I guess they rebuilt it and used it for training or it's just screwed up. I'll take it by tomorrow and either get it fixed or change it for something else. It IS heavy as hell. They have a Romanian that is a little less. What other 7.62s are there?

"Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?"

"It's a gun...and I am glad to see a moving target."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-18-2009, 03:14 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

sounds like the pin retainer (shepherds hook) was missing or not installed properly allowing the trigger pins to walk out.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:36 AM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanders View Post
I got a bushmaster M4, a Saiga 410 and a Yugo Century Arms fold under stock AK. I got to shoot the Saiga before it rained then had to come in the house and just fondle them. Got some ammo, glasses, hearing protection, a red dot for the AR.

This is the funny part. It wouldn't be funny if I didn't know the store owner. I was messing around with the AK, pushing buttons, messing with the safety...I pushed the safety all the way up past the cover, straight up. It wouldn't go back in position and the trigger wouldn't work. Then I heard something hit the floor and the pin that holds the trigger had fallen out. The other pin forward of that was real loose too. I took the cover off and the trigger pin spring was laying in the bottom.

I guess they rebuilt it and used it for training or it's just screwed up. I'll take it by tomorrow and either get it fixed or change it for something else. It IS heavy as hell. They have a Romanian that is a little less. What other 7.62s are there?
Do yourself a favor and get one of these:

retainer-plate.jpg

AK Retaining Plate - FREE SHIPPING - $11.99 : Buymilsurp.com, Your source for military surplus.

TAPCO Retaining Plate AK-47 Steel Blue - MidwayUSA

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-18-2009, 03:36 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Best diagram I could find. I have a sar-1 and use method#2. Method #1 is an aftermarket retainer (like cane posted)

The wire sits into grooves in the trigger pins on the left side of the reciever to keep them from walking out. ---Maybe this helps

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 09-18-2009 at 03:40 AM. Reason: Added info after Cane posted at same time

Old 09-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #5

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Best diagram I could find. I have a sar-1 and use method#2. Method #1 is an aftermarket retainer (like cane posted)
The wire sits into grooves in the trigger pins on the left side of the reciever to keep them from walking out. ---Maybe this helps
Great visual Gate!

Thanks.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Got it a while back while researching my Romanian Sar-1.
From here
http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/links.htm
Great site with lots of info and DIY upgrades for AK's specifically Romanian variants. Link isn't working
for me now. think gunsnet is rebuilding their site. Glad I saved diagram.