Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > well hello!, help on deciding what to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default well hello!, help on deciding what to buy

Im a new member here on FTF and Im tooling around with the idea of getting a gun of some kind, I started a thread on handgun general a while ago, and they pointed me in the right direction there, but I was also thinking of a rifle, my gun knowledge is little to none, that being said I have shot several guns more than a few times, but as far as kinds of guns I know nothing about

what Im going to use it for:
not huntung, just target practice, we have a 5 achre stretch way out in the boonies in Joplin MO and I thing would be perfect for target practice

what I would like:
a medium size round, cheap and easy to get ahold of,
bolt action
a scope of some kind (I know they are attachable, but why not post everything I would like right?)

what Ive looked at: (please be gentle)
Ive looked at several types of the R700, and I like them alot, but its a little expensive, I could save up and get one, but even then, they have so many variations, I still cant narrow it down like Id like to

any suggestions?

Miles

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #2

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Start with a Rem 10/22

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-08-2009, 09:45 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

I got to agree with cane on one part get a 22lr (long Rifle).

If you want a bigger cartridge then I gotta point you at one of a few calibers.

The 223 is a good cartridge it is light on recoil and easy on the pocket. You may or may not know that the AR is built around the 5.56 which is a 223 (In this case at least) Now. there are also other cartridge out there that would fit the bill the 243 is popular and good as a varmint and deer rifle. The 7mm-08 (308 win necked down to 7mm) is another good low recoil cartridge along with thr 260 rem but the 260 is a lot harder the find than the other three. Then you have the 308 the parent cartridge to the 243, 260, and 7mm-08 along with many others. It would be a lost choice for a new shooter in my book.

You said you looked at the Remmy 700 that is a good gun. There are plenty others out there as well. Never be afarde to look used either. Savage, tikka, Browning, Howa all make good high quality firearms. If you are on a real tight budget then look at the New England Firearms (NEF) single shot break action rifles. they are simple not as accurate as the others but they do ok and they are cheaper than many of the ones above.

In the Remington 700 you have a ton of different models. The SPS line is the cheap line with a not so good plastic stock (Not polymer plastic). The BDL is the next up the CDL is the deluxe models. There are also others. like the VLS (Varmint Laminate Stock), VSSF (Varmint Stainless Synthetic Fluted) These ones cost a lot more than the SPS line. But the actions and barrels are all the same. The stock on teh VSSF is a nice H-S stock that is kevlar, fiberglass and carbon fiber I believe.

Savage has the 10, 11, 12, 14 series and the 25 series.

They are all just a little different. The 12BVSS is a heavy barrel, heavy laminate stock rifle that would be hell to pack anywhere. The nice thing about a savage is that the way the barrel is put on it is easy to remove it and pop on a new barrel all you need is a wrench, another barrel and go, no go headspace gauges.

Tikka is the lower end line of Sako rifles. They are still a very quality product that are very accurate and very well made.

Howa is made in Japan and the action is a beast and JD is a big proponent oh them. They are a very good rifle and I am not that sure what all the grades are in them. This would be my #2 pick behind a savage.

Browning is the most expensive on the list and are very well made and fit and finish is nothing short of great. They have 2 different rifles. The A-bolt is a 60 degree bolt throw 3 locking lug rifle they too are made in Japan. You pay more because Browning is on the rifle. The X-bolt is the newest version of the A-bolt. More expensive than the A-bolt.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I got to agree with cane on one part get a 22lr (long Rifle).

If you want a bigger cartridge then I gotta point you at one of a few calibers.

The 223 is a good cartridge it is light on recoil and easy on the pocket. You may or may not know that the AR is built around the 5.56 which is a 223 (In this case at least) Now. there are also other cartridge out there that would fit the bill the 243 is popular and good as a varmint and deer rifle. The 7mm-08 (308 win necked down to 7mm) is another good low recoil cartridge along with thr 260 rem but the 260 is a lot harder the find than the other three. Then you have the 308 the parent cartridge to the 243, 260, and 7mm-08 along with many others. It would be a lost choice for a new shooter in my book.

You said you looked at the Remmy 700 that is a good gun. There are plenty others out there as well. Never be afarde to look used either. Savage, tikka, Browning, Howa all make good high quality firearms. If you are on a real tight budget then look at the New England Firearms (NEF) single shot break action rifles. they are simple not as accurate as the others but they do ok and they are cheaper than many of the ones above.

In the Remington 700 you have a ton of different models. The SPS line is the cheap line with a not so good plastic stock (Not polymer plastic). The BDL is the next up the CDL is the deluxe models. There are also others. like the VLS (Varmint Laminate Stock), VSSF (Varmint Stainless Synthetic Fluted) These ones cost a lot more than the SPS line. But the actions and barrels are all the same. The stock on teh VSSF is a nice H-S stock that is kevlar, fiberglass and carbon fiber I believe.

Savage has the 10, 11, 12, 14 series and the 25 series.

They are all just a little different. The 12BVSS is a heavy barrel, heavy laminate stock rifle that would be hell to pack anywhere. The nice thing about a savage is that the way the barrel is put on it is easy to remove it and pop on a new barrel all you need is a wrench, another barrel and go, no go headspace gauges.

Tikka is the lower end line of Sako rifles. They are still a very quality product that are very accurate and very well made.

Howa is made in Japan and the action is a beast and JD is a big proponent oh them. They are a very good rifle and I am not that sure what all the grades are in them. This would be my #2 pick behind a savage.

Browning is the most expensive on the list and are very well made and fit and finish is nothing short of great. They have 2 different rifles. The A-bolt is a 60 degree bolt throw 3 locking lug rifle they too are made in Japan. You pay more because Browning is on the rifle. The X-bolt is the newest version of the A-bolt. More expensive than the A-bolt.
wow helpful! thank you so much!

the only reason I want to stay away from the .22 is because dad already has one, and I have access to it all the time, so me owning one would be like me owning two,

another question, I have been able to find an R 700 BDL stock for around 200, would it be cheaper to buy all the components and assemble myself? if so, where would be a good place to start? and when I google search (because I dont really know where to start) I find stocks that say "overmolded rifle stock....." what does overmolded mean? crap?

also, is there somewhere that can break down ammo a little more? at least the ones that maybe the top two or three of the above listed would use? ie BDL and one of the savages that you would suggest

Miles

Old 12-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #5

If i were you, I'd go with the marlin xl7 in 270, the recoil is extremely mild, ammo is cheap, and so is the gun, I own one and it is the most accurate rifle in the house, compared to a remington 700 bdl, and a couple rugers.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:20 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
what Im going to use it for:
not huntung, just target practice, we have a 5 achre stretch way out in the boonies in Joplin MO and I thing would be perfect for target practice
For just plinking and target shooting you can't beat a 223 rem.

Here is a pic of my Remington 700 VLS

For a Savage: The 12 BVSS Savage Arms 12 Series Varmint Model 12BVSS

The 223 is a good varmint/ target round. It is cheap to shoot and if you ever get into reloading it gets even cheaper.

223 Rem Drawing.
http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd223remington.jpg

Stocks Overmould is a process where a ridged stock is covered with a softer material that maintains grip in rain and other adverse conditions.

there are stocks from plenty of manufactures for the remington 700.

Not to give you google info overload but here is a good sight for cartridge drawings.
page8d

Here is a good sight to get some info on the cartridges.
Welcome to The Reload Bench

Old 12-09-2009, 04:15 AM   #7

so is this marlin xl7 able to attach a scope right out of the box? it says scope base included, Im assuming I can put one on with that, also what ammo size would you recommend price and availability wise?

Ive been reading alot about the xl7, its sounding pretty nice

Miles

Last edited by randommj; 12-09-2009 at 04:20 AM.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:33 AM   #8

Yes you can attach a scope right out of the box, just buy a scope and some scope rings. It is one of the nicest rifles I own. Mine likes 150 grain winchester super x's, which cost about $15 bucks for a box of 20, and you can buy them almost everywhere, like wal-mart and of course your hunting stores.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270 win View Post
Yes you can attach a scope right out of the box, just buy a scope and some scope rings. It is one of the nicest rifles I own. Mine likes 150 grain winchester super x's, which cost about $15 bucks for a box of 20, and you can buy them almost everywhere, like wal-mart and of course your hunting stores.
what ammo size would everyone suggest? there are three options 25-06rem, 270win, and 30-06spr

Miles

Old 12-09-2009, 11:11 PM   #10

Liked 625 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 620

Caliber is your choice! I would look at a Howa 1500. Here is the link. Howa Rifles

For Cheaper shooting, .223 as was stated above. For longer distance, .308.
Yes these are scoped, bore sighted rifles. The scope may not be great, but it will get you started and is adequate. Guys I know down under buy these scopes and love them. They are a $175.00 U.S. dollar scope.
Nikko Stirling at MidwayUSA

BTW, IS THAT MOM in your Avatar???