Weight of sniper rifles?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Weight of sniper rifles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

Default Weight of sniper rifles?

Despite only having a 100y range nearby, I've an interest in long range shooting. So I occasionally wander around sniper sites. Do current military snipers teams use a heavy barreled rifles for shot consistency, or light barrels because they have to hump it to god knows where? I guess I'm thinking about .308s mostly. I can't imagine there's any such thing as a 'light' .50.

Also thinking about .50s; at what point does a rifle becomes a cannon?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

The USMC uses the M40A3- weighs 16.5 lbs. Compared to the weight of the REST of the stuff that you will carry- that is hardly a drop in the bucket.

US Army uses the M24, at 16 lbs. Both are .308s (7.62 NATO Match)

16mm bore diameter crosses the line from MG to cannon (or grenade laucher)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 03-10-2014 at 01:49 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Despite only having a 100y range nearby, I've an interest in long range shooting. So I occasionally wander around sniper sites. Do current military snipers teams use a heavy barreled rifles for shot consistency, or light barrels because they have to hump it to god knows where? I guess I'm thinking about .308s mostly. I can't imagine there's any such thing as a 'light' .50.

Also thinking about .50s; at what point does a rifle becomes a cannon?
A rifle becomes a cannon at .51 caliber...

Historicly if a gun had wheels or had to be mounted in a fixture to fire it was a cannon.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Vincine Likes This 
Old 03-10-2014, 04:08 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Weight of sniper rifles?

You can build a M24(army sniper rifle) for a fairly reasonable price ($2000 or so,...compared to $4000 plus)It is built off of a Remington 700 action. Has a 5r 24inch barrel(I think twist is 1-11.25) however you can tailor your barrel length and twist rate to your liking)many manufacturers now make them. Stock is a HS precision M24 stock(also many options through HS, adjustable LOP , cheek rest etc.)No doubt you would want to give it a tuneup on the action and a good trigger job.

Yes it does use a heavy barrel. Most manufacturers that make the 5r barrels have options for different contours. M24 contour is usually an option.

Good part about it, if you you don't have the funds right away, you can build it over time replacing part by part while still enjoying the rifle.

The Optics is where you can really save or splurge. The actual M24 system uses a Leupold. Not sure of the model

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited by Baxter; 03-10-2014 at 04:23 PM.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
You can build a M24(army sniper rifle) for a fairly reasonable price ($2000 or so,...compared to $4000 plus)It is built off of a Remington 700 action. Has a 5r 24inch barrel(I think twist is 1-11.25), many manufacturers now make them. Stock is a HS precision M24 stock(also many options through HS, adjustable LOP , cheek rest etc.)No doubt you would want to give it a tuneup on the action and a good trigger job.

Yes it does use a heavy barrel

Good part about it, if you you don't have the funds right away, you can build it over time replacing part by part while still enjoying the rifle.

The Optics is where you can really save or splurge. The actual M24 system uses a Leupold. Not sure of the model. the leupolds are mk4 3-15ish the nightforce are the nxs 3.5-15 both front focals. reticles vary but are usually milrad or mildot.

they also use nightforce optics. just depends on whats in the pipeline when the build is done.

not a fan of the leupolds i sold my mark4 after it started deliminating with something flaking off the insides. looked like pepper flakes were sprinkiled inside the lenses. the person buying it sent it back and got it repaired and is happy with it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-10-2014 at 04:21 PM.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:28 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
they also use nightforce optics. just depends on whats in the pipeline when the build is done.

not a fan of the leupolds i sold my mark4 after it started deliminating with something flaking off the insides. looked like pepper flakes were sprinkiled inside the lenses. the person buying it sent it back and got it repaired and is happy with it.

I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info!

Old 03-10-2014, 04:36 PM   #7

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
You can build a M24(army sniper rifle) for a fairly reasonable price ($2000 or so,...
I could, but I wouldn't have anywhere convenient to shoot it. The nearesst 300y ranges are an hour away. The 1ky is a couple of hours. So that would mean planing to spend most of a day for me. There is a lot of public land up here in the park, but it's forrest. And then there's the money to feed it, although the way match 22lr is going, I'm not sure that's going to be continue to be a difference.

And then of course, I'm having SO much fun (not) trying to beat the wind, with a slow 40gr. at the club's 100y range on the flats adjacent to the river here.

Maybe when/if I get my 100y yard 22lr group down to 1.75", I'll look into a bigger caliber. Or a better rifle.

In the meantime it's just acadamic for me.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #8

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I thought the unspoken challenge here was to be

able to hit a deer, or wild boar at 300 or 400 yards

without using a 15-pound Magilla rifle...

Old 03-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #9

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Cannons also do not have rifling in the barrel. That's why they refer to the ons on navy ships as guns not cannons. And from my understanding most military use .308 out to 1200 yards. Beyond that they use the .50

Old 03-10-2014, 08:04 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

In historical terms thats true. Cannons no rifling guns rifling when describing nonshouldered firearms and military gear. Modern terms cannons can be rifled as in the 20 and 30mm cannons used in changun applications... See how it gets confusingly stupid. Heh.

Then you have the m1 abram tank with its 120mm gun that is most certainly a cannon....

Last edited by JonM; 03-10-2014 at 08:09 PM.