Weatherby vs. T/C vs. Browning - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Weatherby vs. T/C vs. Browning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Oh I see thanks for the info.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 04:49 PM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Axxe, if you'd be interested I'm looking to sell my Marlin X7HV in .22-250.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjurgensen View Post
Axxe, if you'd be interested I'm looking to sell my Marlin X7HV in .22-250.
i had considered getting the 22-250, before they brought out the 223 version. and with having all that brass from my AR, i would have a steady supply of brass for reloading in 223. but thank you anyways. much appreciated though.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 10-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #14

Liked 228 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 40

If you can afford it, the Browning is one of those "you get what you pay for" deals. - You pay for a lot more than just the name, it really is an outstanding rifle, well worth what they ask.

I would second the advice about picking them all up and seeing how they feel though. If one of the other guns feels better, then that's what I would go with. How the gun feels is most important, as all of the guns mentioned here are great shooters.

People Like This 
Old 10-13-2013, 04:16 AM   #15

Liked 227 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 108

My Browning is picky as hell, not inaccurate but crazy picky, it won't groups well with ANY factory ammo and only with very specific handloads, I absolutely would not recommend a Browning to anyone who is not an experienced handloader. Maybe mine is a glitch but I had fits with it, I sure did not feel like I got what I paid for. BTW Brownings "customer service" SUCKS!!! Spent hours on the phone getting transferred from department to department getting put on hold each time and never got any help.
If you do have accuracy problems with your Browning you won't be able to do much about it since Browning seals their barrels on, you can super heat the action to remove the barrel but since the action is extruded metal not machined bar stock you can damage the action beyond repair in the process, most gunsmiths won't attempt it, nobody warrenties their work on them to my knowledge.
Good fit/finish/feel and I love the design but the severe issues and piss poor customer service make me give the Browning a C.
If you want an accurate trouble free rifle buy a Winchester or a Tikka mine will drive tacks even with factory loads.

Last edited by Apex-Predator; 10-13-2013 at 04:18 AM.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #16

Liked 183 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
My Browning is picky as hell, not inaccurate but crazy picky, it won't groups well with ANY factory ammo and only with very specific handloads, I absolutely would not recommend a Browning to anyone who is not an experienced handloader. Maybe mine is a glitch but I had fits with it, I sure did not feel like I got what I paid for. BTW Brownings "customer service" SUCKS!!! Spent hours on the phone getting transferred from department to department getting put on hold each time and never got any help.
If you do have accuracy problems with your Browning you won't be able to do much about it since Browning seals their barrels on, you can super heat the action to remove the barrel but since the action is extruded metal not machined bar stock you can damage the action beyond repair in the process, most gunsmiths won't attempt it, nobody warrenties their work on them to my knowledge.
Good fit/finish/feel and I love the design but the severe issues and piss poor customer service make me give the Browning a C.
If you want an accurate trouble free rifle buy a Winchester or a Tikka mine will drive tacks even with factory loads.

Your info about the Browning not shooting anything but specific handloads must just be your gun because a friend of mine has one and he shoots Fusion, Cor-Lokt, and Hornady ammo nice small groups. Maybe its the shooter though. I just bought a T/C Venture and so far the biggest group it has shot was 1.007''@100yrds and the smallest was .840''@100yrds. Both were 3 shot groups but I would be willing to bet it would stay moa for more than 3rds. Put your hands on some guns and see what you like and read reviews online and see what the people are saying about the gun they bought.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post
Your info about the Browning not shooting anything but specific handloads must just be your gun because a friend of mine has one and he shoots Fusion, Cor-Lokt, and Hornady ammo nice small groups. Maybe its the shooter though.
I can assure you beyond any doubt that the nasty groups that Browning vomited up were not the result of a lackluster shooter behind the trigger. I am sure of that because with the right handloads I can shoot back to back to back sub-MOA groups with it, some held groups half MOA. I tried 140gr Core-Lokts, Fusions, and 139gr Superformance SSTs NONE of them shot a single group under 4" some would not stay on paper at 100 yards, that is some REALLY BAD accuracy. My Browning may very well be a fluke but now that I finally have it shooting good I do like it, just not enough to ever risk going through that again it took me forever to figure out what it would shoot with. In contrast my Tikka shot .75" avarage groups first trip to the range with factory ammo, and I had it shooting .3" averages with handloads on my third trip out, no contest the T3 is head and shoulders more accurate with a wide variety of powders/bullets.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:17 AM   #18

Liked 183 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
I can assure you beyond any doubt that the nasty groups that Browning vomited up were not the result of a lackluster shooter behind the trigger. I am sure of that because with the right handloads I can shoot back to back to back sub-MOA groups with it, some held groups half MOA. I tried 140gr Core-Lokts, Fusions, and 139gr Superformance SSTs NONE of them shot a single group under 4" some would not stay on paper at 100 yards, that is some REALLY BAD accuracy. My Browning may very well be a fluke but now that I finally have it shooting good I do like it, just not enough to ever risk going through that again it took me forever to figure out what it would shoot with. In contrast my Tikka shot .75" avarage groups first trip to the range with factory ammo, and I had it shooting .3" averages with handloads on my third trip out, no contest the T3 is head and shoulders more accurate with a wide variety of powders/bullets.

Very good friends of mine who own and shoot Browning rifles buy the cheapest off the shelf ammo they can find and they kill deer all season long. I have never witnessed accuracy from a Browning as bad as you claim. If its not you then its your gun. Browning is a damn fine gun and because yours will not shoot well with factory ammunition doesn't mean all Browning rifles wont because they will. You shouldn't be telling people not to buy one if they don't handload, that's crap.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:47 AM   #19

I am very well aware that my inaccurate Browning is a fluke, but that fluke seems to becoming more common as of late from what my friends have been telling me. Their customer service department really is the worst I have ever dealt with though. They really did taint my experience with their company.
Aside from customer service and accuracy issues here is the good and the bad of the Browning A-Bolt.
The action is a little rough, it is the least smooth of my five rifles but the short blot throw is great.
Browning's flip down magazine is the best thing on the market, I prefer it to my detachable mags and my hinged floor plates.
Browning's recoil pad is thin and not the best recoil reduction device on the market but on my 7mm-08 it is more then adequate.
Browning's composite stock is very good, head and shoulders above my Savages/Remingtons/Marlin and almost as good as the one on my Tikka. Slim, light, grippy and ergonomic you simply cannot say anything bad about it.
Browning's trigger is OK, nowhere near Tikka/Savage good but it is passable as a hunting trigger. I have shot worse but I have shot much better too.
The extruded metal parts are cheesy as can be, I would expect that from some cheap Chinese knock off but I was expecting better from Browning, cutting that corner makes Browning essentially a disposable rifle since re-barreling one costs more then a new rifle, even Savage's budget rifles have machined bar stock actions.

For the record now that I have my A-Bolt shooting like it should it is a handy, light weight, very ergonomic, light kicking deer rifle and I have no plans on getting rid of it.

Last edited by Apex-Predator; 10-15-2013 at 01:53 AM.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:45 AM   #20

Liked 431 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Inaccurate Brownings are not really a fluke. I've never had one that was better than mediocre. I bought a brand new BAR Safari grade in 25-06 a while back and it would not hold a group for nothing. No ammo was any better than another. Ended up selling it. Gorgeous gun though, just looked better than it shot.

I still have an A-Bolt .270 that is just mediocre in accuracy. I'd sell it too except my dad bought it for me.

I also bought one of the limited edition maple T-Bolts in 22lr. It's stunningly beautiful, but accuracy is so-so. The trigger is so heavy that it's hard to tell how accurate the gun really is and there is not enough adjustment on the trigger to help. My CZ will shoot circles around the Browning.

I have owned 3 nice Browning rifles and still have 2 of them. None of them impress me and they are never the first gun I think to grab.

I don't own a Venture, but I do have a TC Encore with a 25-06 barrel and now that gun will flat out shoot!