Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Weatherby vanguard s2 free float barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 02:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Weatherby vanguard s2 free float barrel

Hey. I have a weatherby vanguard s2 in .270 win with a synthetic stock. I was wondering if it's worth floating the barrel, and if so how do I do it. Keeping in mind I don't have the tools of a gunsmith.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-21-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19556 Times on 11099 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_C View Post
Hey. I have a weatherby vanguard s2 in .270 win with a synthetic stock. I was wondering if it's worth floating the barrel, and if so how do I do it. Keeping in mind I don't have the tools of a gunsmith.
glassbedding the action and free floating the barrel most always will improve the accuracy. as it's not extremely difficult, anyone with some general apititude with tools can do it. Google "glassbedding a rifle stock" and you will see lots of results that will give you a more indepth idea as what is involved in doing it. Brownell's has the best glassbedding kits available and are probably used by more gunsmiths than any other brand. read and follow the directions to the letter. there is a good reason they want it done a certain way. good luck.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanx for your input

Old 01-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have two Weatherby Vanguards. One in 30-06 and the other in .243 Winchester. The 30-06 shot 1 1/2" to 2" groups at 100 yds right out of the box but every here and there it would get that wild round that would be 3 or 4 inches off. I decided to free float the barrel scraping down the material along the inner edges of the forearm with an exacto knife (blade held 90 deg to surface) and used a Dremel tool with a sanding drum to clearance the tip and grind down the front sling swivel mount boss. Now it shoots 3/4" to 1" groups at 100 yds consistently with no more "strays". Just the other day I nailed a quart size egg nogg bottle at 260 yards. I liked the 30-06 so much that when I decided I wanted a 243, I chose the Weatherby Vanguard again. Same as the 30-06 out of the box good groups but then the group would move when the barrel got just a little warm or 2 shots together and one stray. On the 30-06 I have a Bushnell Elite 3-9x40 side focus with steel rings and bases. On the 243 I had the exact same rings and bases but a Hawke Optics 2.5-10x44 Varmint side focus scope w/ 1/2 mil dot reticle. Before blaming the scope I decided to free float the barrel on this one too since it made such an improvement on the 30-06. The first shot after floating the barrel was 3" low and left. Two shots later (adjusting scope after each shot) and it was 3/4" high and centered. The next four shots were almost touching each other at 100 yds. 10 minutes later I nailed a golf ball at 100 yds. That's plenty good for my purposes. I have both zeroed to hit roughly 3/4" to 1" high at 100 yds to utilize the most of the maximum point blank range. I typically shoot from 100 yds to 200 & 250 yds and sometimes out to 300 yds. Ammo for both is hand loads. 30-06 is 180 gr SP Hornady with 42.5 gr H4895. For the 243 its 100 gr SP Hornady with 36.0 gr of H4895. Floating the barrel on my Vanguards worked wonders but every gun and caliber is different and different ammo produces different harmonics in the barrel. Just because it worked on mine doesn't mean it will work on yours. But every rifle I have ever owned shot tighter groups when the barrel was floated whether it was a wooden stock or a synthetic stock. Plastic is affected by heat probably more than wood, it just isn't affected much if at all by humidity changes. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Take it for what it's worth. Just my own personal experience.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:06 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Mitch,

I have a Vanguard S2 in .308 that shoots great, but I too am considering some modifications. Specifically, I plan on having a gunsmith shorten the barrel from 24' to 20' or 21' and put an 11 deg crown on the muzzle. This is because I hunt mainly from a stand in dense woods and it would help to have a handier rifle. I am also considering ordering a laminated stock from Boyd's or Stockys, which I would probably modify to free float the barrel. Please report on how your free-floating project works.

Good luck.