Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Weatherby, Browning, or Baretta?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Old 06-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #12

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nuts/2012/02/why-shorter-rifle-barrels-may-be-better

Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 PM   #13

My further research has led to think 20" is the right place to be, with this calibur, so muzzle blast doesn't rip your face off. But what's 4 inches among friends

Old 06-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #14

Liked 6602 Times on 3585 Posts
Likes Given: 5699

Triggerjob, what do you think for the slower burning powder calibers?

Old 06-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #15

That's why I changed my comment. The diff. Between 18 and 20 is a lot based on the other stuff I read about this particular catridge.

In general though, its science not opinion, that shorter and consequently more rigid barrels are more accurate. The tactical guys have been moving this way for years.

As for sight radious, I've never thought there to be a big diff in usability between an 18 or 26 inch gun which is the longest I've personally shot.

But to each his own. Most of the talk I used to hear aroung the gunstore about needing longer barrels for hunting was largly fueled by BS and wives tales.

So far the only thing I've read in the longer barreled debate that has validitity is the muzzle blast arguement.

Velocity drops are minor around 1% an inch cut, unless you're shooting out passed 800 yards or so it ain't gonna matter.

As for huffing and puffing needing a long barrel to steady your winded elk shot after climbing a mountain, a longer barrel doesn't solve this delima it actually accentuates it. You see as you huff and puff and try and steady yourself the end of a long barrel moves more in relation that a short one would. Its geometry a hard science. The only wiegh to damper huffing and puffing for your mountinous elk shot is to either not shoot winded, or use the marine corp sit position or other proper stance.

I suppose a heavier rifle would dampen the hufing and puffing to.

I'm not trying to piss in anybody's wheaties, hell 50 years ago people were trapsing around the woods with 28" rifles, civil war rifles were 5.5 feet long.

Wher the poor deer gets blasted with a 15 TC pistol, or your 23" rifle he's jsut as dead.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #16

Liked 38 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Shooting 270 WSM out of a short barrel is not particularly clever. - You get .270 Winchester velocity - and lots of extra muzzle-blast.

If you are going to insist upon a short barrel, why not just shoot .270 Winchester for the same performance - minus the blast?

The "M" in 270 WSM stands for "Magnum" which ought to be a pretty good clue that it's going to need at least 24" or so of barrel if you want the performance that the cartridge is capable of.

Remember, it is the bullet and its velocity, not the muzzle-blast, that does the work on a hunting rifle.

Kind Regards, Salvo

People Like This 
Old 06-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #17

Liked 6602 Times on 3585 Posts
Likes Given: 5699

A shorter barrel may be more accurate than a longer barrel, maybe, but only used with a rest or bipod etc. A longer barrel (to a point) is still more stable and accurate shooting freehand. so choose accordingly. I myself shoot 'oldschool' cartridges where a longer barrel can burn off all the powder, and deliver a faster bullet downwind, minimizing bullet drop. So my 24 inch Weatherby, and 22 inch Sako rifles are more suited for my tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjob View Post

In general though, its science not opinion, that shorter and consequently more rigid barrels are more accurate. The tactical guys have been moving this way for years.

What I don't understand about this is then why do long range artillery guns have such long barrels. They are very accurate, no?
Old 06-06-2013, 12:55 AM   #18

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

People who learn hunting in a gun store and quote Field & Stream pretty well answers my question.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #19

Liked 1689 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
A shorter barrel may be more accurate than a longer barrel, maybe, but only used with a rest or bipod etc. A longer barrel (to a point) is still more stable and accurate shooting freehand. so choose accordingly. I myself shoot 'oldschool' cartridges where a longer barrel can burn off all the powder, and deliver a faster bullet downwind, minimizing bullet drop. So my 24 inch Weatherby, and 22 inch Sako rifles are more suited for my tastes.

What I don't understand about this is then why do long range artillery guns have such long barrels. They are very accurate, no?
Long range artillery pieces have what may seem like long barrels, because they have heavy projectiles and lots of powder to accelerate them. If you look at the size if cartridge the barrel isn't that long relatively speaking.

Accuracy doesn't come from barrel length. It comes from regularity if the bore and the metal. In a rifle the only real advantages you get are more potential velocity, and if using iron sights, a longer sight radius. But it is harder to make a long barrel with a perfect bite than a short one. Also harder to make a long barrel stress free, during the boring and rifling process. A shorter barrel if the same diameter is more rigid, and less likely to have uneven warping from stress points during temperature changes.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:36 AM   #20

No, they aren't danger close is 500 meters for artillery strikes.