Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Weatherby, Browning, or Baretta?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Weatherby, Browning, or Baretta?

Im looking for a new rifle and have narrowed my caliber down to a 270 WSM. Now im debating on the gun. My decision is between a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 sporter, a Browning X-Bolt Hunter, or a Tikka T3 Lite. The Weatherby and Browning have a wooden stock and the Tikka is synthetic. Both the Weatherby and Tikka have a 24" barrel but the Browning is 23". All three look to be quality rifles, unfortunately I have never owned a Browning, Barreta, or Weatherby rifle so I don't know which is better or the qualities each hold. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
-TJ

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-05-2013, 01:33 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6745 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

What are ya gonna use the gun for? Hunting, or target shooting, or both?

Old 06-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The Tikka is a great rifle. I prefer the monte carlo stocks better and the Weatherby Vanguard series 2 is a very good rifle for the money (made by Howa). I just bought a synthetic one in 223 for back home and luv it. I have no experience with the Brownings.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I will mainly be using it for hunting.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:08 AM   #5

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

24" inch barrel seems kind of old school. I would think think 18" is about as long as you would want for an actual gun you planned on carrying.

You're only going to lose 50 to 75 fps with the shorter barrel but you'll pick up accuracy, and manueverability.

Is anybody else pujzzled by the barrel lengh?

Also, all of your choices are great brands. I would lean toward the wood stock, as they look nicer. You can order a plastic stock online if the need arises and have a drop in fit. But its not likely you get as good a wood stock unless you innish it your self

Old 06-05-2013, 03:11 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

First time I ever heard a shorter barrel is more accurate than a longer barrel? Any links for me to read up on and learn about?
I mean, I understand about the harmonics and wobble of short vs longs, etc, but for hunting, and not using a bench, a longer barrel is more stable to hold on target than a shorter lighter barrel.
But if a shorter barrel is now more accurate, then why are all the varmint hunters using ar-15s going for longer mid to full length barrels, and not the shorter 18 in barrel?
And if you are using iron sights, wouldn't the longer sight radius work better for accuracy, than a shorter sight radius? I'm confused.

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 06-05-2013 at 03:30 AM.
People Like This 
Old 06-05-2013, 03:57 AM   #7

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Light mountain rifles? That is a marketing ploy. Have you struggled to stalk a Bull elk above the timber line. When you finally get a shot across a snow field you are trying to hold a rifle steady.
Your heart rate is at max speed, your lungs are sucking cold air, your eyes are filling with water. And that light short rifle has a muzzle roll that won't quit. That is when you realize that the longer barrel and higher comb was worth the extra effort.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:15 AM   #8

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

http://sniperschool.com/forum/showthread.php?1-Sniper-Rifle-Barrel-Length

Here's a link about barrel length and accuracy.

No I've never tried to shoot an elk while so winded I couldn't hold my gun steady and anybody who has is irresponsible.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #9

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjurgensen
My decision is between a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 sporter, a Browning X-Bolt Hunter, or a Tikka T3 Lite. The Weatherby and Browning have a wooden stock and the Tikka is synthetic.
Really, they are all very good rifles and I don't think you could go far wrong with any of them. Do you have any preference between wood and synthetic? If it was me, I'd try handling and shouldering all three and see which one fits you better. I think in this case that would matter more than the minor differences between the three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjob
24" inch barrel seems kind of old school. I would think think 18" is about as long as you would want for an actual gun you planned on carrying.
I think it really comes down to the cartridge. I'm not sure if this applies as much to the new short magnums (don't know much about their ballistics), but for most magnums or other high pressure cartridges I would want that 24 inch barrel to wring the best performance out of the cartridge. Otherwise why bother? With such cartridges lopping 5-6 inches off the barrel is probably going to cost you 2-300fps.

If I wanted a short barreled hunting rifle, I'd probably be looking at something in .308 or maybe 7mm-08.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #10

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Trigger Job, Honestly have you ever really hunted big game of any kind? Anyone who is never stressed by hunting at high elevations most likely died of a heart attack hours earlier.