Wax on a matte finish barrel?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Wax on a matte finish barrel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 03:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Default Wax on a matte finish barrel?

Recently purchased a used Remington 700 with a black matte finish. I can tell the barrel is prone to rusting, and read several places that you can apply wax ( some say car wax, others suggest stuff like Johnson wax) to prevent further rusting and "waterproof" the metal.

Is this nonsense? Would I be better off using CLP or Remoil? I hate the thought of using b.s. home remedies for such a nice rifle - but hey I'm all ears

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2012, 06:06 AM   #2

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Gents, this is one of those threads that we should stick with the topic. A member has a legit question.

OP, I'd use oil. But, wax is only wax. I wouldn't use something like a minwax wood finish, but maybe some bow string wax. To remove, heat and wipe. I have NO IDEA how it could react to the finish though. I know I've gotten some gnarly crap on guns and (hydraulic fluid, brake fluid, blood, mud, paint, food...) And never had much problem since I cleaned it off quickly.

Here's an idea. Get a piece of carbon steel, such as a saw blade, cold blue it, wax it, and see what happens. It'll probably be safe.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:21 AM   #3

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Yes, would use oil as well. (pardon my sidetracking earlier)

-Matt