Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   General Rifle Discussion (
-   -   Wax on a matte finish barrel? (

chloeshooter 09-04-2012 02:20 AM

Wax on a matte finish barrel?
Recently purchased a used Remington 700 with a black matte finish. I can tell the barrel is prone to rusting, and read several places that you can apply wax ( some say car wax, others suggest stuff like Johnson wax) to prevent further rusting and "waterproof" the metal.

Is this nonsense? Would I be better off using CLP or Remoil? I hate the thought of using b.s. home remedies for such a nice rifle - but hey I'm all ears

trip286 09-04-2012 05:06 AM

Gents, this is one of those threads that we should stick with the topic. A member has a legit question.

OP, I'd use oil. But, wax is only wax. I wouldn't use something like a minwax wood finish, but maybe some bow string wax. To remove, heat and wipe. I have NO IDEA how it could react to the finish though. I know I've gotten some gnarly crap on guns and (hydraulic fluid, brake fluid, blood, mud, paint, food...) And never had much problem since I cleaned it off quickly.

Here's an idea. Get a piece of carbon steel, such as a saw blade, cold blue it, wax it, and see what happens. It'll probably be safe.

Blueguns 09-05-2012 04:21 AM

Yes, would use oil as well. (pardon my sidetracking earlier)