warm bbl walking shots left
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > warm bbl walking shots left

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default warm bbl walking shots left

What causes a bull bbl to walk the shots to the left? Its free floated and a Douglas. So did I do something cleverly stupid when I put it together?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2011, 12:55 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

First off, Welcome to the FTF Community. Several of the existing members would like you to stop by the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself. I will leave that up to you.

You have discovered why the skillset of "Sniper" is a whole 'nother level of marksmanship.

Your initial shot is Cold Bore. That is what the weapon will do straight out of the gun sleeve.

After you put a few rounds down the barrel it is normal for the Point of Impact to be different than your initial Cold Bore shot due to the barrel warming and the barrel becoming dirty with use.

It has to do with harmonics, heat, accumulation of gunpowder in the barrel and a bunch of stuff that is WAY over my head.

I don't think you did anything wrong unless you are seeing a SERIOUS change in impact after the barrel warms.

Can we get some specs here??

JD

Old 02-15-2011, 01:09 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

'98 Mauser .22/.250 . At 25 yds shots will walk off to the left more or less an inch per shot. After it cools, it starts all over again from zero.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:32 AM   #4

So you have a total of an inch or so of walk when it warms up? This is no big deal.

Or you have it walking an inch PER SHOT as it warms up??

Old 02-15-2011, 01:50 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yep! One inch per shot. I don't think I've shot it more than 5 shots before letting it cool, so I don't know if it would quit after a while, but I'd run out of target.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:09 AM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2017 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 604

I had a Ruger 77 270 sporter that climbed with each shot. Ruger put pressure on the barrel at the front of the stock on purpose. I had the barrel floated and no more climbing. It was sub moa after the float. I am not an expert by any means but if the barrel is floated and climbing left and high, I would suspect a problem in the action bedding or a bad barrel.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:24 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Action is all bedded. No pillars used; just the lug under the large ring. The other rifles haven't done this, but I have more faith in Douglas than in myself, so maybe the bbl is good and I'm not, but durned if I can figure out what I did wrong.
It only goes left and not high. Would that have anything to do with the cast-off? (3/8")

Old 02-15-2011, 02:31 AM   #8

Cornbelt - Optics or Iron Sights?

Any chances your sights are loose??

Probably not because you said it works it's way back to zero when cooled.

I am thinking there is something with tension on the action versus stock that is heat induced.

I'll PM stalkingbear, he has been doing this sort of thing for like 27 years and when he talks, I read and learn.

More to follow.

JD

Old 02-15-2011, 03:04 AM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Cornbelt, not all barrels like to be free floated. Is this a thin contour barrel?

Have you tried shimming? Placing thin pieces of aluminum or cardboard between the end of the forend and the barrel? Try a few dif thicknesses.

I'm assuming your action screws are properly torqued?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 02-15-2011, 03:21 AM   #10

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

how many shots does it take to "plane out" so to speak? what i mean to say is, does it continue walking until it is off the paper, or will it get to a point, and start grouping?

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me