Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > War Baby upgrades (M1 Carbine)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default War Baby upgrades (M1 Carbine)

I have an old STD PROD imported by Navy Arms that I thinking of upgrading by adding an Ultimak rail and Choate stock. Will eventually get an economical Aimpoint/clone for it. It looks like Choate makes 3 different stocks: standard pistol grip, folding pistol grip, and a M4 collapsible clone. I'm leaning more for the standard as it's 1/2 the price of the collapsible (which are hard to find) and 2/3 the price of the folding, besides it looks like it will work better with a 3-point sling. Any and all comments/feedback is greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #2

Well, I ordered the Ultimak and Choate standard straight pistol grip stock for this little baby.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #3

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I put an Ultamak rail on my carbine a year ago or so. It now has a nice little red dot on it and it significantly improves the accuracy I can get with the gun. I really like mine. Can’t speak about the stock. That is just a matter of personal preference. I have a repro folding stock for mine, but I found I didn’t really care for it and put the original stock back on.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #4

Well, my main goal is to set this up for the little lady. With her arthritis flaring at times, the pistol grip is what she prefers. My youngest son has also recommended that I add a small rail to the bottom to install another grip for her like he does with his duty M4 so that she doesn't hang on to the mag. I eventually want to add a red dot and pickup a 3-point sling to round it out. May even add a light to the lower rail when I install it. So Clem, if you don't mind me asking, what red dot did you add and why did you pick it?

Old 04-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #5

Well, I bought the Choate standard pistol grip stock and the Ultimak rail and they fit nicely. Hope to get it to the range to see how it handles.

Retired Navy.