Wanting to build a long distance bench rest rifle
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Wanting to build a long distance bench rest rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Wanting to build a long distance bench rest rifle

I would like to learn how to shoot long range (800+ yards) and possibly get into some local competitions in the future. The rifle I would build would be used at ranges only, so not out walking through the woods. Being green on the subject I was hoping some of you could point me in a good direction to start with. I would like to keep the rifle (action, barrel and stock) somewhere close to or under $2,000. I was thinking about a Remington 700 action, but what I've read so far says for precision rifles they aren't that great. Two other manufacturers I read about were Surgeon and Barnard. If I spent $1,200 on a quality action like that, will it last through multiple barrels and be worth it? What action have you used that you would swear by? I kind of liked the McMillan A5 stock with the idea of a bipod being put on it. And I have no idea where to start on a barrel. For a caliber I have read about long range cartridges being from the 6.5 Creedmoor to the .338 Lapua and bigger. I was considering something smaller like the 6.5 Creedmoor to keep recoil to a minimum. Would I have to have a certain size caliber to shoot in competitions if I chose to? I do reload, so that wouldn't be an issue. And I would also like the action and barrel to be stainless steel (but that's not a requirement). I have about five months before I'll be back in the states so I figured if I do this I need to get started on it. To make a long story short here are my basic questions.

1. Best action for around $1,200 (internal mag preferred, not single shot)
2. Best barrel for around $3-400
3. Is there better stocks than McMillan?
4. Your opinions on a suitable long distance (bench rest) caliber?
5. Can't forget a scope, I'd say around $1,500 for that (I was thinking nightforce or leupold). I know I can't be cheap on this piece.

As I mentioned I don't know much about long range shooting, so if my information is wrong please correct me. Any other information/advice you are willing to share on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2013, 01:51 AM   #2

I'm in the same position you are. Want to get a long range gun and don't know much about them. I have heard from numerous people a great scope is the vortex viper pst. Half the price I a leopold and same quality and warranty. Just an idea for ya.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:10 AM   #3

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

You pretty much have everything down but I would go with leapold or nightforce scope then a vortex they are good scopes but your putting a lot of money in a rifle you should do the same for you scope a good barrel would be a kraiger they have some of the best barrels out there so there a good places to check out

Old 01-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #4

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxtay View Post
I'm in the same position you are. Want to get a long range gun and don't know much about them. I have heard from numerous people a great scope is the vortex viper pst. Half the price I a leopold and same quality and warranty. Just an idea for ya.
I would say the Vortex Viper PST is a very good intermediate level scope and offers alot of bang for the $$$. I know it is used by more than a few for 1000 yard practical percision rifle but not sure if it the best choice for bench shooting comps. They can be had for about $950.00 new and they have a great warranty. My brother just bought one and I can say that the elevation and windage turrets have very good distinct clicks, the glass is very good for the price, and it tracks well.

Last edited by mrm14; 01-04-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:36 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 98

I built mine a long time ago and loosely based it off a G&A article of a gent who built one. I went w SAKO action and Olympic National Matchbarrel in 7 mm mag and it's heavier than I was expecting.

I was trying for LR hunting rifle and ended up w benchrest rifle. I went w 7mm mag. Higher BC, velocity & weight than 6.5 Creedmoor.

338 has even higher BC n weight which does help w wind at longer ranges. Nitestalker loves his 338 & shoots LR almost daily so you can either PM him or wait until he drops by.

Both recoil more than 6.5 family. However, if you want a 6.5 - then I w get the 6.5X.284. You already reload so ammo availability is not an issue.

The 7mm & 338 have lots of commercial rounds to choose from if you do not want to reload.

Edited: my budget ran out & I went w "value" - 4X16-50mm - and it works but it is not a Leopold. My rig was intended to be more "svelte" than BR rifle for AZ hunting. ( high points w wide open spaces )

Last edited by Gonzilla; 01-04-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:40 AM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

We live at a time when custom actions are plentiful and, quite possibly, better than ever before. Barnard, Stiller, Stolle, RPA, Surgeon, Bat, and a host of others. Good custom actions start at around 700 dollars and go up from there. The basic action is usually somewhat similar to a Remington 40X and posesses all the features needed to be the foundation for a precision rifle.
At the same time that we have all of these actions available, we also have more top flight barrelmakers than ever before. Bartlien, Brux, Douglas, Hart, Krieger, Pac-nor, Shilen, Lilga, Mcgowen. Not all are equal but all are good and there are a lot more.
If I was building myself an "F" class rifle or a 1000yd "light" rifle (16.5 pounds) and wanted to have the rifle which would give me the best chance of winning, I would build a 6BR with an eight inch twist barrel from any of the makers I mentioned. If I wanted to compete in the F(TR) class, I would build a 308. My second choice for a 16.5 pounder would be a 6.5 of some description (I like the 6.5x55).
I like laminated stocks but synthetic may well be the better choice. I currently have four synthetics (MacMillan, Brown Precision, and Lee SIX)and four laminated along with one walnut.
The very best thing you can do is to go to a long range match, whether "f" class or benchrest and see what guys are using and who is building it.
I find myself as well served by scopes from Weaver and Bushnell as anything else. For "F" class, the scope needs to have sufficient adjustment range to get from 300 to 1000 yards. This usually means a 30mm tube if the the power is greater than 16 (I think a 24x is perfect for "F" but like a little more for BR). If the scope lacks sufficient adjustment range, one has to have some elevation built into the mounts.
For an inexpensive starting point, the Savage F class rifle in 6BR would be a very good place to start. Excellent performance in an inexpensive package. Burn out the factory barrel learning then re-barrel and start challenging. GD

Old 01-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #7

I run Premier Reticles 5-25X56mm scopes on both my 1000 yard rifles.

http://premierreticles.com/products/heritage-5-25x56mm-tactical.php

I use the Gen 2 XR reticle in both.

My .300 Win. Mag is using a Remington 700 reciever which has been trued (this trued 700 works extremely well), McCanns Picatinny +20 MOA scope base, and a Krieger barrel. My .260 Rem. has a 591 Surgeons reciever which has a intergral Picatinny + 20 MOA scope base milled into the reciever, and I use a a Bartlein barrel for this one. The 591 Surgeons action is silky smooth compaired to the trued Remington 700.

http://www.surgeonrifles.com/591

If you go for a after market reciever the Surgeons are real sweet.

For long range calibers I'm liking the 6mm and 6.5mm offerings out there. I'm having real good results with those new Berger hybrid bullets. I'll probably rebarrel the .260 Rem. next time around to .243 Win.

Last edited by mrm14; 01-04-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14
I run Premier Reticles 5-25X56mm scopes on both my 1000 yard rifles.

http://premierreticles.com/products/heritage-5-25x56mm-tactical.php

I use the Gen 2 XR reticle in both.

My .300 Win. Mag is using a Remington 700 reciever which has been trued (this trued 700 works extremely well), McCanns Picatinny +20 MOA scope base, and a Krieger barrel. My .260 Rem. has a 591 Surgeons reciever which has a intergral Picatinny + 20 MOA scope base milled into the reciever, and I use a a Bartlein barrel for this one. The 591 Surgeons action is silky smooth compaired to the trued Remington 700.

http://www.surgeonrifles.com/591

If you go for a after market reciever the Surgeons are real sweet.

For long range calibers I'm liking the 6mm and 6.5mm offerings out there. I'm having real good results with those new Berger hybrid bullets. I'll probably rebarrel the .260 Rem. next time around to .243 Win.
I was also looking at the Berger hybrid bullets. I noticed the .338 Lapua has a BC of .8xx, does the BC really help that much at long distances? I was looking at shooting rules and if I switched to a .338 caliber I could still shoot in F-class open and bench rest unlimited just not F-class T/R.

I was checking out surgeons as well, I really liked their repeater models. Only thing is they don't have them in stainless steel which is what I'd like, but not required.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGuy View Post
I was also looking at the Berger hybrid bullets. I noticed the .338 Lapua has a BC of .8xx, does the BC really help that much at long distances? I was looking at shooting rules and if I switched to a .338 caliber I could still shoot in F-class open and bench rest unlimited just not F-class T/R.

I was checking out surgeons as well, I really liked their repeater models. Only thing is they don't have them in stainless steel which is what I'd like, but not required.
Higher BC bullets do help out alot in distance shooting. However, the prime feature of the Berger hybrid that piques my interest is that they are supposed to not be very sensitive to bullet clearance to the lands. As the barrel errodes and clearance between the ogive of the bullet and the lands increase, these blended secant and tangent ogive bullets should stay accurate without having to "chase the lands".

I'm not that keen on Stainless Steel so I didn't consider it when choosing the 591 Surgeon. My gunsmith builds precision bolt rifles almost exclusively and let me try out several recievers for feel of action and smoothness. Hands down the Surgeons was the smoothest when compairing it with hands on to several others. Also, I like the integral recoil lug and integral +20 MOA picatinny scope base it has for scope mount. With Ceracoat corrosion shouldn't be much if any issue.

I had the rifle Ceracoated in black and the bolt I had Microslicked. The Micro slick coating on the bolt makes it even smoother and is well worth it IMO..

http://www.phantomfinishing.com/

Last edited by mrm14; 01-04-2013 at 04:03 PM.