WalMart rifles - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > WalMart rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledbetter84
I bought my first rifle from Walmart when I was 18. It's my marlin m60. Never had a single flaw. Ymmv
What does "Ymmv" mean dude?

+10 on the model 60. I got mine at Walmart back in 2006. Never had one problem. Never even jammed. Love that little gun. When I bought it the "associate" told me he had one. Said if I stick with quality ammo it will never have a problem. I stick with federal premium or cci anyway, but a nice gun and great service.

But I would recommend doing your research before any purchase. It's not THEIR fault if YOU buy a crappy gun.

Wait, was this thing on?

Old 03-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2767 Times on 1446 Posts
Likes Given: 241

YMMV, Your Mileage May Vary

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-20-2012, 08:29 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
7400 has a bad habit of the barrel twistin and they are SUPPOSED to be scoped according to the remington guy i have talked to. He said they are supposed to not have the irons on em but the deaign jackasses put em on there to make them more money-more for said jackasses. Now they are just a part of the plans and it costs ALOT for them to have thwm plans redrawn and to retrain the people makin the barrels.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
So the "design Jackasses" make money from increased costs? That just does not make any sense at all. The "design jackasses" work for Remington. They get paid to design. They do not get royalties or bonuses for increasing the complexity of the products. Quite the contrary. They are paid to streamline the production and cut costs.

Plans do not have to be "redrawn" to omit the irons. Quite the contrary, as many Remington rifles have barrels drilled, tapped and plugged holes for the omitted front sights. This argument has no merit IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunguy1997 View Post
ok this is just my experience but i wouldn't buy from wal mart again ever. i was told(after my dad bought a rifle) that wal mart buys guns that don't pass inspection from the factory. and after this experience i believe it. we bought a rifle and at first it locked up all the time sometimes you couldn't work the bolt sometimes it wouldn't chamber a round. ect. but we spent an extra 200$ fixing it and its the best gun ive ever shot to this day groups great smooth and just a pleasure to shoot but it would have been cheaper to just buy it from a dealer in the long run.
Firearms being an inherently dangerous product, this is laughable. Why would any company with a legal department allow this to happen? They would not, period. Blemished product sure but nothing beyond that.

Apparently no one understands Walmart's marketing scheme. They negotiate low prices through high volume, but also get the manufacturers to do the warehousing for them. Walmart's "warehouses" are actually just distribution hubs. They run low on toilet paper in central Ohio and the paper company quickly ships "X" amount to that distributuon center. The paper company, as a part of the contract, has a small window to make their delivery.

Remington agrees to sell 7400's in a limited number of calibers to Walmart at a set price and deliver them to a store or distribution center w/in "X" days. They do not have time to cull out the "bad" ones to go to Walmart. They simply ship what is ordered. If they ship a less than perfect product it is because Reminton made a POS. You have just as much of a chance getting a POS 7400 Express at Dicks, BPS, Gander Mtn or your LGS.

I would contact Remington about the sight issue. They should make it good. I would not accept "it was made to be scoped" as an answer. I paid for sights, I expect them to be usable.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Last edited by robocop10mm; 03-20-2012 at 08:46 AM.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Firearms being an inherently dangerous product, this is laughable. Why would any company with a legal department allow this to happen? They would not, period. Blemished product sure but nothing beyond that.

Apparently no one understands Walmart's marketing scheme. They negotiate low prices through high volume, but also get the manufacturers to do the warehousing for them. Walmart's "warehouses" are actually just distribution hubs. They run low on toilet paper in central Ohio and the paper company quickly ships "X" amount to that distributuon center. The paper company, as a part of the contract, has a small window to make their delivery.

i did not say that's what happens just that's what i was told and that i believed it and still do.

"Time's are rough and time's are strange but times one thing that you cant change." - Rodney Adkins

Old 03-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
i did not say that's what happens just that's what i was told and that i believed it and still do.
actually Robo is exactly correct about their marketing strategy. i worked in fleet maintenance for many years at a distribution facility for WalMart. many of the higher cost items, WalMart doesn't own them until they actually sell. a lot of fast moving lower cost products are shipped directly from the manufacteror straight to the stores, bleach, soft drinks, T/P, diapers, ect. WalMart has used this strategy for many years, has also used the strategy of buying in larger bulk quantities than other retailers, gain an edge when selling. also another strategy they use is reverse price offset, selling one item cheaper than anyone else, then marking up other items to help with the offset of lost income on the one item to be able to sell the one item at way lower cost than their competitors. you are just as likely to have the same results with any firearm bought at any chain retailer as you would buying at WalMart, because they use some of the same type of marketing as WalMart, just on a smaller scale. part of the reason i won't buy a firearm from WalMart or any other big chain retailer.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Believe what you will. A Vietnam vet neighbor of mine is convinced the Viet Cong could shoot our ammo through their rifles even though that is quite impossible. Urban legends are just that.

"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #17

Liked 4806 Times on 2327 Posts
Likes Given: 1498

UNNGH!

Another Wal Mart thread? Dudes, listen up. NO self respecting gun owner should be buying guns from ANY big box retailer! PERIOD!

Anyone remember when K Mart was the countries #1 gun dealer?

How about Sears, Wards, Ect, Ect...

The purchasing power of companies like Wall Mart gives them volume discounts that your LGS could never get. Keep chasing your best deal to save 10% on a gun and sooner or later you'll drive the independent dealers out of business.

Good luck getting Mr. Pimple at the Wal Mart gun counter to receive and transfer that handgun you bought online.

Hope ya all really like that 10 gun selection at Wal Mart. Probably be all you get to choose from when your LGS goes under!

I don't know how to say this any clearer. Your giving your money "for guns" to people who DON'T NEED IT to stay in business. ALL big box companies that rely on selling food, diapers, an TV's are but 1 mass shooting away from dropping out of the gun trade.

Your lining the devils pocket for what, "a couple more boxes of ammo"?

Support your LGS, he's the only one who actually needs your business and he's the only one who CAN'T buckle to political pressure and simply sell something else.

Tack

And No, I'm not a dealer. I work in construction management and derive no income from our sport.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 518 Times on 316 Posts

I have bought two guns from Walmart. a winchester 1300 shot gun . The second was a Winchester m 70 270 with a scope. After siting it in at the range and taking it out to the deer lease I notice the scope rings were lose. So I had to resite it in I also reworked the the trigger to about 2-3 lbs.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 03-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg
Anyone ever bought a rifle from Walmart and had it just seem not quite right? A buddy of mine who moved north from Northern Illinois bought a Remington 3006 from Walmart awhile back because he wanted to start deer hunting up here, he brought the gun to work and after work we went out back of the shop and proceeded to sight in the open sights, it was a model 7400, not sure of the designations for the semis but I would call it an ADL, synthetic with the rough matte finish like an 870 express, well as we were workin on dialing in in I noticed something just didn't look right, we had to move the rear sight all the way over to the left as far as we could to make it hit, the bead was centered and it wasn't operator error because both of us as well as my boss shot it with the same results. If you stood the gun in a vice then stood back and looked at it from the top it looked really stupid, you looked down the center of the gun and everything looked good, except that rear sight was way left. Something wasn't right.
Buying a gun at Walmart is like having Subway cater your kid's bah mitzvah

Old 03-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #20

Liked 1123 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 349

I own a Howa bought from Walmart and it's well under 1" moa closer to .5" moa in .223 with cheap walmart ammo. Walmart was cheaper than anyone else for the same thing. Maybe they do sell inferior products like the Remington 770 but that is sold elsewhere as well.

I bought from them before and I would buy from them again, in fact the 10/22 they sell for like $150 is looking pretty tempting.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson