Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   WalMart rifles (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/walmart-rifles-60602/)

blucoondawg 03-20-2012 04:28 AM

WalMart rifles
 
Anyone ever bought a rifle from Walmart and had it just seem not quite right? A buddy of mine who moved north from Northern Illinois bought a Remington 3006 from Walmart awhile back because he wanted to start deer hunting up here, he brought the gun to work and after work we went out back of the shop and proceeded to sight in the open sights, it was a model 7400, not sure of the designations for the semis but I would call it an ADL, synthetic with the rough matte finish like an 870 express, well as we were workin on dialing in in I noticed something just didn't look right, we had to move the rear sight all the way over to the left as far as we could to make it hit, the bead was centered and it wasn't operator error because both of us as well as my boss shot it with the same results. If you stood the gun in a vice then stood back and looked at it from the top it looked really stupid, you looked down the center of the gun and everything looked good, except that rear sight was way left. Something wasn't right.

texaswoodworker 03-20-2012 04:37 AM

I think Walmart guns are different from regular guns. IIRC they use plastic parts, and just don't work as well as the same model of gun that was bought from a gun shop would. In other words, to keep the guns cheap for Walmart, they have to be made cheap. :(
Someone else who has more experience with Walmart guns should be along shortly.

Marlinman 03-20-2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
I think Walmart guns are different from regular guns. IIRC they use plastic parts, and just don't work as well as the same model of gun that was bought from a gun shop would. In other words, to keep the guns cheap for Walmart, they have to be made cheap. :(
Someone else who has more experience with Walmart guns should be along shortly.

They are the same guns.....7400 was made to be a scoped rifle mainly. No one knows why they put the iron sights on them stupid things. Put a scope on it and remove irons and they look right most of the time.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

blucoondawg 03-20-2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 745859)
I think Walmart guns are different from regular guns. IIRC they use plastic parts, and just don't work as well as the same model of gun that was bought from a gun shop would. In other words, to keep the guns cheap for Walmart, they have to be made cheap. :(
Someone else who has more experience with Walmart guns should be along shortly.

That's what I was thinking too, but its hard to imagine that companies who have staked their reputation on building quality firearms would lower the quality and still feel comfortable putting their name on that product. I can maybe see it with housewares or electronics or the like but firearm and tool manufacturers really irk me when they are willing to build inferior stuff to meat the price of these companies

blucoondawg 03-20-2012 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman (Post 745863)
They are the same guns.....7400 was made to be a scoped rifle mainly. No one knows why they put the iron sights on them stupid things. Put a scope on it and remove irons and they look right most of the time.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

whether or not it takes a scope I would think if you are going to put irons on it they should be in the right spot wouldn't you? I shoot a 7600 and so do many in my hunting party and ours aren't like that. I don't really consider the semis and pumps scope guns, you can if you want but around here they are usually used in the woods, regardless the sights should be right if they are gonna put them on there IMO

c3shooter 03-20-2012 04:53 AM

I would humbly called your attention to the fact that for YEARS, companies such as Winchester, Marlin, Remington, Savage, Hi Standard, Mossberg, etc have made firearms of a second quality for sale thru mass merchandising. Those guns had same basic design, but beech stocks instead of walnut, plainer finishes, brushed instead of hi polish, etc.

I am, of course, referring to STORE brands, such as J.C. Higgins, Ted Williams, Westernfield, Revelation, etc. Even Spiegel and J C Penney once had their own guns.

Axxe55 03-20-2012 04:54 AM

Blue i made the mistake several years ago of buying a Remington M770 from WalMart. huge mistake! bought it, thinking it was a cheaper version of the M700. Wrong! didn't keep it very long and sold it for less than i paid for it and was glad, just because i wanted the POS gone. i will never own one again. i may buy some ammo and miscellaneous supplies at WalMart, but i will gladly spend a little more and buy my guns at my LGS instead.

Marlinman 03-20-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blucoondawg

whether or not it takes a scope I would think if you are going to put irons on it they should be in the right spot wouldn't you? I shoot a 7600 and so do many in my hunting party and ours aren't like that. I don't really consider the semis and pumps scope guns, you can if you want but around here they are usually used in the woods, regardless the sights should be right if they are gonna put them on there IMO

7400 has a bad habit of the barrel twistin and they are SUPPOSED to be scoped according to the remington guy i have talked to. He said they are supposed to not have the irons on em but the deaign jackasses put em on there to make them more money-more for said jackasses. Now they are just a part of the plans and it costs ALOT for them to have thwm plans redrawn and to retrain the people makin the barrels.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Marlinman 03-20-2012 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
I would humbly called your attention to the fact that for YEARS, companies such as Winchester, Marlin, Remington, Savage, Hi Standard, Mossberg, etc have made firearms of a second quality for sale thru mass merchandising. Those guns had same basic design, but beech stocks instead of walnut, plainer finishes, brushed instead of hi polish, etc.

I am, of course, referring to STORE brands, such as J.C. Higgins, Ted Williams, Westernfield, Revelation, etc. Even Spiegel and J C Penney once had their own guns.

Yes they all do have that bad habit c3. Thats why if you special order a rifle from say walmarts counter book the rifle will cost more than the ones in the cabinet. They are made alot better too.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

gunguy1997 03-20-2012 05:25 AM

ok this is just my experience but i wouldn't buy from wal mart again ever. i was told(after my dad bought a rifle) that wal mart buys guns that don't pass inspection from the factory. and after this experience i believe it. we bought a rifle and at first it locked up all the time sometimes you couldn't work the bolt sometimes it wouldn't chamber a round. ect. but we spent an extra 200$ fixing it and its the best gun ive ever shot to this day groups great smooth and just a pleasure to shoot but it would have been cheaper to just buy it from a dealer in the long run.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:59 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.