Walmart guns - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Walmart guns

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #71
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Steel_Talon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cochise County,AZ
Posts: 1,767
Liked 987 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drboompa View Post
I am told that all guns sold by Walmart are seconds. Can this be proved or disproved? some of their prices are reasonable.


It's part of Gidney's and Cloyd's jet fuel plan . They're so poorly made by the manufacturers they're nothing but grenades. Just waiting to scrootch us (the clueless shopper.)
__________________
'Steel cuts flesh / steel cuts bone / steel does not cut steel.'

Become steel or get cut.
Steel_Talon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #72
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Salvo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: High Cihuahuan Desert, West Texas
Posts: 330
Liked 147 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

I used to do the gunsmithing at a small gun shop in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. A lot of times I ran the counter too, if the owner was out of the store.

We carried items that you couldn't get at Wal-Mart in that era; Colt SAA, Shiloh Sharps replicas, the Navy arms line, Black powder Colts, Rossi's, Custom rifles, Sakos, T/C, Smith&Wesson, etc, etc..

We never ordered or offered a Remington product for example, because as a small shop, our wholesale cost for a new Remington was higher than Wal-Mart's retail price. Sure, we could have sold one every once in a while, but we wouldn't have been doing our customers any favors.

One time a fellow came in and asked if we could order him a Remington 700. We looked up the price that we would have to ask and he said,

"I can get that cheaper at Wal-Mart!"

"Well, I guess you ought to go down to Wal-Mart, then."

It never bothered us to send folks looking for that kind of gun to where they could get the best price.

Wal-Mart isn't real good about putting on new bolt handles, mounting scopes, answering questions or addressing problems, so a lot of times the Wal-Mart customers would end up in our little store eventually, anyway.

So it goes.

__________________

Kind Regards, Salvo


Last edited by Salvo; 10-17-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Salvo is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Edge of Darkness
Posts: 6,495
Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Default

Walmart like all large companies has a big legal staff. Their attorneys would never allow them to buy sub-standard fire arms. Every small town in America with mangled and blinded shooters would be a financial disaster. This is spread by small gun dealers who can not compete with a Big box store.

__________________
nitestalker is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #74
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvo View Post
I used to do the gunsmithing at a small gun shop in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. A lot of times I ran the counter too, if the owner was out of the store.

We carried items that you couldn't get at Wal-Mart in that era; Colt SAA, Shiloh Sharps replicas, the Navy arms line, Black powder Colts, Rossi's, Custom rifles, Sakos, T/C, Smith&Wesson, etc, etc..

We never ordered or offered a Remington product for example, because as a small shop, our wholesale cost for a new Remington was higher than Wal-Mart's retail price. Sure, we could have sold one every once in a while, but we wouldn't have been doing our customers any favors.

One time a fellow came in and asked if we could order him a Remington 700. We looked up the price that we would have to ask and he said,

"I can get that cheaper at Wal-Mart!"

"Well, I guess you ought to go down to Wal-Mart, then."

It never bothered us to send folks looking for that kind of gun to where they could get the best price.

Wal-Mart isn't real good about putting on new bolt handles, mounting scopes, answering questions or addressing problems, so a lot of times the Wal-Mart customers would end up in our little store eventually, anyway.

So it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Walmart like all large companies has a big legal staff. Their attorneys would never allow them to buy sub-standard fire arms. Every small town in America with mangled and blinded shooters would be a financial disaster. This is spread by small gun dealers who can not compete with a Big box store.
now where WalMart has an advantage is in their purchasing power. number one, they may buy 10,000 rifles of a certain brand and caliber, then spread them around a bunch of stores. so they can many times by buying a large quantity of that rifle, give a much lower price and are able to sell it much cheaper and still make a profit. WalMart has been doing this for many, many years. most smaller gun stores just can't buy the number of guns that WalMart does, so they end up giving more for it. so in turn they have to sell it higher to make a profit or to just break even on the sale.

WalMart also tends to go with the lesser expensive models in a brand, rather than the more upscale versions. they tend to stock the models that will move much faster than sitting in display case. so WalMart's stock is usually what moves quickly and lesser expensive models that have large profit margin.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
Steel_Talon Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #75
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bigjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elk Grove Village, IL
Posts: 560
Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default

What Axxe55 said. Walmart has two distribution centers in the US and purchase 5 to 10 thousand of each model at a time. These distribution centers service the over 8,000 Walmart stores here is the US. Their rifles are basically the same as you get at the local gun shops, but they do have custom builds that they only carry. An example or that would be the Ruger 10/22 "Rifle" in stainless steel when they first came out, I bought one and it shoots great even after all the years I have been shooting it.

Their purchasing power is awesome because of the quantities they purchase, the same goes for TV's, Cell Phones, VCR's, DVD's and pretty much anything they carry. I have purchased three rifles from them and all shoot excellent without any problems. Here is a target from a Savage package gun I purchased from them in 270 Winchester a long while ago.

5 shot group, 100 yards, 130 grain Hornady SST's from bench rest.


Jim

__________________
bigjim is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #76
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
What Axxe55 said. Walmart has two distribution centers in the US and purchase 5 to 10 thousand of each model at a time. These distribution centers service the over 8,000 Walmart stores here is the US. Their rifles are basically the same as you get at the local gun shops, but they do have custom builds that they only carry. An example or that would be the Ruger 10/22 "Rifle" in stainless steel when they first came out, I bought one and it shoots great even after all the years I have been shooting it.

Their purchasing power is awesome because of the quantities they purchase, the same goes for TV's, Cell Phones, VCR's, DVD's and pretty much anything they carry. I have purchased three rifles from them and all shoot excellent without any problems. Here is a target from a Savage package gun I purchased from them in 270 Winchester a long while ago.

5 shot group, 100 yards, 130 grain Hornady SST's from bench rest.


Jim
i agree with just about everything you said except the number of distribution centers WalMart has. they currently have 158 in the United States.

http://corporate.walmart.com/our-story/our-business/logistics
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,250
Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post
Manufacturers build their product to a specific standard. It is not cost affective to change standards in the process.
.

I think this is a good statement for components.

but I can see a lesser degree of QC being done for guns they know they will sell to walmart as they will make so little off them being squeezed by walmart's buying dept
__________________
https://www.numbersusa.com/content/

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix
bluez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #78
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
I think this is a good statement for components.

but I can see a lesser degree of QC being done for guns they know they will sell to walmart as they will make so little off them being squeezed by walmart's buying dept
i have to disagree with that. the people doing QC many times have no idea as to where an item is being shipped to, whether it be a small private gun store, Gander Mountain or Walmart.

and they are not being squeezed by WalMart's buying department. WalMart simply buys huge quantities of an item at a lower price because they buy in bulk. any other company if buying in the same amounts, would be able to get the same pricing as WalMart does. WalMart doesn't have the same overhead in inventory assets as most other retailers do either. many times on lots of their inventory, they have only contracted to sell it pretty much like a consignment type sale.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
Steel_Talon Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #79
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,250
Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

Default

Axxe: but Walmart is famous for sqeezing the last shekel out of its supplier.
Why should gun makers be different?
During the panic I saw some guns with lesser QC coming thru that would not have been seen in years prior.. if a gun maker has a big batch order for WM I would not be surpsised if less attention is paid ot QC.

We seen it during the panic months from general retail I think

__________________
https://www.numbersusa.com/content/

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix
bluez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #80
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
Axxe: but Walmart is famous for sqeezing the last shekel out of its supplier.
Why should gun makers be different?
During the panic I saw some guns with lesser QC coming thru that would not have been seen in years prior.. if a gun maker has a big batch order for WM I would not be surpsised if less attention is paid ot QC.

We seen it during the panic months from general retail I think
i worked for WalMart for over nine years and was privy to many things that those on the outside just don't see. WalMart contracts huge lots of an item from a vendor. they agree on a price based on bulk. many vendors agree to these prices because WalMart moves a lot merchandise quickly. this means the vendor is seeing money on those items much quicker than other buyers of their products.

the QC is slipping but not just because of WalMart, but because they are trying to keep up with the demand. also have to remember that WalMart is not the only buyer of those items. they are going to everyone, from the small gun shops, Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shops, Academy, ect., ect., WalMart is just one of many buyers. they just happen to one the larger buyers of an item.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Walmart is our Friend !! mudpupp The Club House 86 09-19-2012 02:36 AM
Sig sauer at Walmart! vtfilamguy AR-15 Discussion 52 07-17-2012 08:41 PM
walmart. tacticalfun AR-15 Discussion 14 05-24-2012 07:14 PM
Ammo at Walmart Armadiloroadkil .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 29 03-15-2012 07:12 PM
Machine guns at walmart what a dummy woody63m The Club House 26 03-10-2012 04:14 PM