Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Walmart guns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/walmart-guns-74479/)

drboompa 10-17-2012 02:21 AM

Walmart guns

I am told that all guns sold by Walmart are seconds. Can this be proved or disproved? some of their prices are reasonable.

trip286 10-17-2012 02:29 AM

There's a lot of rumor and conjecture. Some people claim Walmart guns are actually built from substandard materials specifically so Walmart can sell them cheaper, even going so far as to claim that the metallurgical properties of the small parts are different and inferior to what you would find in a local gun shop.

I call bull ****. I believe the Walmart guns come from the same factory, the same production line, of the exact same parts, exact same specs and materials, and built by the exact same hands and machines as all the rest.

The only thing I am willing to accept as proof otherwise is a letter from at least one manufacturer, and I'll only believe it as regarding that specific maker.

People claim tests done in their garage and/or workshop, place of business, whatever. Sorry, still waving the bull**** flag.

drvsafe 10-17-2012 02:32 AM

Out of curiosity how much cheaper are firearms at Walmart? I live in NJ, they don't sell ammo here in Walmart let alone firearms.

CourtJester 10-17-2012 02:35 AM

Manufacturers build their product to a specific standard. It is not cost affective to change standards in the process.
The same gun you get at Walmart is the same gun that you get at Joe Blow's gun shop. They sell a little less because they can buy 2000 at a time and Joe Blow buys a few at a time at best.

trip286 10-17-2012 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CourtJester
Manufacturers build their product to a specific standard. It is not cost affective to change standards in the process.

That's just one of the arguments I kept bringing up, and got flamed for it several times. Yet still, no one has offered real proof, only claims to have tested parts.

CourtJester 10-17-2012 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286

That's just one of the arguments I kept bringing up, and got flamed for it several times. Yet still, no one has offered real proof, only claims to have tested parts.

Buy a few and test them. There will be no difference. I have four 10/22's. two from Walmart, two from local shops. Zero difference.

cj84 10-17-2012 02:45 AM

I have never had a problem with any iv bought there

drboompa 10-17-2012 02:47 AM

I too, personally think that they have to be the same standard to bear the manufactor's brand and name. However, I hear the same arguments with Walmart tires. I have used some of their tires with no issues and bought tires from SAMS on several occasions. Now have to decide about their guns.

thanks guys

silverado113 10-17-2012 02:55 AM

They are getting manufacturer direct/volume pricing which is why they can be lower.

gunnut07 10-17-2012 03:06 AM

They are dang wal-mart they are the 2900# gorilla in the room when it comes to setting prices. If you want to do business with them they tell you what they are going to buy your product for and what they are going to sell it for. If you don't like it they go to someone who does.