And The Wait Begins - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > And The Wait Begins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #11
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
Why would you want two rounds that are basically the same ?................
There is hardly any thing comparable between a 25/06 and a 6.5-06.Other than sharing the same parent case,there are nothing alike.
The 25/06 is a great long range varmint rifle,and an excellent deer sized game hunting rifle,but it's limited in it's bullet range- 75 grain to 120 grain bullets,and they don't come close to the high Ballistic Coefficients of any 6.5mm bullets.
The 6.5mm will shoot bullets from 85 grain to 160 grain.
The 6.5mm family far exceed's anything the 25/06 could ever do in terms of ballistics,and can take game from varmints to moose. Yes,moose,the Europeans have been taking moose for many decades with the 6.5x55 Swede,and the 6.5-06 is just a faster version of it.

So,I guess with your way of thinking,I shouldn't also have a 308-30/06-and 300 WM in my safe since they all shoot the same size bullet!

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-10-2013, 02:07 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i agree. i have been a fan of the 25-06 for many years now, getting my first one in about the early 1990's IIRC. but after learning abot the 6.5-06 and the 6.5mm calibered cartridges, i became a believer in them. the first one i ever shot in a 6.5mm was a Winchester M70 Featherlight in 6.5x55. absolutely fell in love with it.

sadly, i currently own nothing in 6.5mm and that makes me sad andlong for one even more. i got on the 7mm kick several years ago and at some point would like to add a 6.5mm to join my metrics!

TXhillbilly, i am looking forward to your build in many ways. i have read some and done some research on the 6.5-06, and it has interested me for a several years now, but have not known anyone that actually owned and shot one. i am looking forward to learnng from your firsthad experiance with the gun and cartridge. second, after seeing some of your other builds, i know it's going to be a great rifle when you get finished with it.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:22 AM   #13
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Since I was off work yesterday,I decided to set-up my 6.5-06 dies and form some brass from the 270 Winchester brass I bought. This is a simple,but time consuming process. I have a Redding forming die that came with my Redding Type S Bushing die set,and I also bought a RCBS trim die.
First you run the case in the forming die,and then in the trim die.The necks on 270 brass are longer than other 30/06 family brass,so you just take a file,and file the case down to the top of the trim die,then chamfer the inner and outer edges.
This picture shows how much needs to be trimmed off-

Here's the case after it has been filed off in the die-

On the left is a 270 Winchester case,on the right a formed and trimmed 6.5-06 case-

After I finished forming/trimming all 100 cases,I set-up my neck sizing bushing die,and ran all of them through it. I then cleaned the primer pockets,de-burred all of the flash holes,and wiped the Imperial sizing wax off the cases. Now,I have 100 pcs of 6.5-06 brass ready to load.

I'm waiting on UPS to bring me my neck reamer,then I'll form the 30/06 brass I have.The necks will get too thick when they are necked down into 6.5-06.
After I build up some loads for the rifle,I'll compare how each type of brass performs,and then choose which way will work best for this caliber.

Lifetime Member-
NRA

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-18-2013, 12:42 AM   #14
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

My neck reamers came in,but after I formed and ran the 30/06 brass through the Redding bushing neck sizing dies,I measured the thickness of the necks and they are good to go without reaming. So,now I have 200 pieces of 6.5-06 brass ready to load.
Yesterday,UPS finally delivered my stock from Boyds. I ordered it unfinished since I'll need to inlet the barrel channel and also the magazine inlet area. I'll try to get some unaltered pics up in a day or two.
I'm only off work tomorrow,and I'll be hunting!

Lifetime Member-
NRA

TLuker Likes This 
Old 12-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #15
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Today,I started working on the stock and also installed the magazine box on the action,and took apart the bolt assembly and replaced the firing pin,and bolt head for the new caliber. Since I have my Magnum contour barrel on the 300 WM right now,I can fit the action to the stock without needing to take the barrel off.
Here's what the stock looks like with the barreled action in it. The stock is unfinished,since I will need to do some inletting on it,and I also like to shape the stock to fit my hands perfectly.

Lifetime Member-
NRA

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #16
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I needed to open up the magazine box area of the stock since it's made for a Center feed magazine action,and mine is an older Staggered feed magazine action.
You can see in the pics,I need to remove about a 1/4" of material at the front of the magazine area.

I just used a Dremel tool with a cutting bit,and took out the area that needed to be removed.

Lifetime Member-
NRA

Old 12-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #17
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I then removed the 300 WM magazine box from the action,and installed the 30/06 magazine box on it. Then checked to see if I needed to remove anymore material from the stock. It fit just fine,so I installed the action screws,and checked everything out again. It was good to go!

Lifetime Member-
NRA

Old 12-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #18
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Next,Rebuilding the bolt assembly.
I took apart the bolt completely,not only does the bolt head need changing,the firing pin also needs to be changed since the 30/06 pin is a smaller diameter than the 300 WM.
If you don't know how to disassemble a Savage bolt,look on Youtube,there are many video's showing you how.

This is the 30/06 bolt head,and extractor/ejector parts.

When installing a firing pin,you will need to check/adjust the length the firing pin extends through the bolt head for proper primer ignition on the cases.

After putting the bolt back together,I put it back into the action,and checked the functions of it out. Good to go!

Lifetime Member-
NRA

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #19
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

A few more pics of the thing -

Now,I will start shaping and sanding on the stock,and wait for the 6.5-06 barrel to get here. Then I can shape the barrel channel out,and finish the stock.

Lifetime Member-
NRA

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-02-2014, 12:02 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 233 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
A few more pics of the thing -

Now,I will start shaping and sanding on the stock,and wait for the 6.5-06 barrel to get here. Then I can shape the barrel channel out,and finish the stock.
Is there anything that you cannot do on a savage?