Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   And The Wait Begins (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/wait-begins-101245/)

Txhillbilly 12-06-2013 08:25 PM

And The Wait Begins
 
I ordered the barrel for the 6.5-06 that I'm going to build today. I ordered a McGowen 26" Stainless with a Shilen 5.5 contour,a 1-8 twist,and bead blasted finish.
I wanted to buy a Shilen,but they only offer the 6.5-06 AI,and I didn't want the Ackley Improved chamber.
I ordered a stock from Boyds last week.A LH feather weight thumbhole. Since they only offer it in a Center feed set-up,and my action is a Staggered feed,I ordered it unfinished. I will need to open up the magazine box channel a little,plus I'll have to open up the barrel channel for the new barrel.
The stock should be here in a couple weeks,so I can get the action fitted in it,and I can also change out the bolt head,magazine box,and follower on the action.
The Redding Type S Bushing dies and 200 pieces of brass are in,so I can get started on forming the 6.5-06 brass. I'm going to see which brass is the easiest to deal with.I'll have to trim the necks on the 270 brass,but shouldn't need to ream the necks.I know I'll have to ream the necks on the 30/06 brass since the necks will get thicker when they are necked down.
I ordered a couple .264 neck reamer bits from Midway,and they will be here in a couple days-depending on this ice storm we're having right now.

This is going to be a fun build,and hopefully,it will be an excellent shooter!

Axxe55 12-06-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txhillbilly (Post 1450950)
I ordered the barrel for the 6.5-06 that I'm going to build today. I ordered a McGowen 26" Stainless with a Shilen 5.5 contour,a 1-8 twist,and bead blasted finish.
I wanted to buy a Shilen,but they only offer the 6.5-06 AI,and I didn't want the Ackley Improved chamber.
I ordered a stock from Boyds last week.A LH feather weight thumbhole. Since they only offer it in a Center feed set-up,and my action is a Staggered feed,I ordered it unfinished. I will need to open up the magazine box channel a little,plus I'll have to open up the barrel channel for the new barrel.
The stock should be here in a couple weeks,so I can get the action fitted in it,and I can also change out the bolt head,magazine box,and follower on the action.
The Redding Type S Bushing dies and 200 pieces of brass are in,so I can get started on forming the 6.5-06 brass. I'm going to see which brass is the easiest to deal with.I'll have to trim the necks on the 270 brass,but shouldn't need to ream the necks.I know I'll have to ream the necks on the 30/06 brass since the necks will get thicker when they are necked down.
I ordered a couple .264 neck reamer bits from Midway,and they will be here in a couple days-depending on this ice storm we're having right now.

This is going to be a fun build,and hopefully,it will be an excellent shooter!

looking forward to seeing the build Hillbilly and wishing you good luck with it.

just from a measurement standpoint, i personally was thinking of going from a 25-06 to a 6.5mm.

Txhillbilly 12-06-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55 (Post 1450953)
looking forward to seeing the build Hillbilly and wishing you good luck with it.

just from a measurement standpoint, i personally was thinking of going from a 25-06 to a 6.5mm.

I could easily resize 25/06,but since I shoot a bunch of 25/06,I figured it would just be better to neck down brass for the 6.5-06.
Once I get some loads worked up for this rifle,I'll buy some Nosler or Lapua brass just for this rifle.

ColdIron44 12-07-2013 06:39 AM

I recently opened up a Boyd's Varmint Thumbhole to accept a bull barrel and I'll be damned for doing it. Their wood laminate is so strong I felt like I was trying to cut diamonds with a butter knife. I worked an hour a night for 3 weeks getting the inletting perfect, so please post your method of wood laminate work to spare me that trouble next time! I'm looking forward to hearing how that caliber performs for you as well. 6.5-06, it just makes so much sense. Good luck!

TLuker 12-07-2013 01:29 PM

That does sound like a fun project. Please post the results. I can't wait to hear some more about it. :)

303tom 12-07-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Txhillbilly (Post 1450966)
I could easily resize 25/06,but since I shoot a bunch of 25/06,I figured it would just be better to neck down brass for the 6.5-06.
Once I get some loads worked up for this rifle,I'll buy some Nosler or Lapua brass just for this rifle.

Why would you want two rounds that are basically the same ?................

Txhillbilly 12-07-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdIron44 (Post 1451468)
I recently opened up a Boyd's Varmint Thumbhole to accept a bull barrel and I'll be damned for doing it. Their wood laminate is so strong I felt like I was trying to cut diamonds with a butter knife. I worked an hour a night for 3 weeks getting the inletting perfect, so please post your method of wood laminate work to spare me that trouble next time! I'm looking forward to hearing how that caliber performs for you as well. 6.5-06, it just makes so much sense. Good luck!

I've never had any problems doing it. It does take some time,but if you use the right tools,it is easy to do.
Boyd's only makes sporter barreled stocks for us that shoot LH,so every stock I buy from them has to be worked over,plus on the Thumbhole stocks,I file/sand the handgrip to fit my hand just right.
I just use some foot long pieces of 3/4" & 1" pvc pipe with 80-100 grit sandpaper to cut out the barrel channel,and then finish it out with finer grains of sandpaper.
On the outer sides of the stock,I use files to shape the stock and also those foam sanding blocks in different grades.
I think it took me a couple days to get my stock fitted/formed on my Savage 12FLVSS 223 when I did it a few years ago.
I also buy my stocks un-finished from Boyds,that way when I get done shaping the outer parts of the stock,I can put a complete finish on them,and make it look like it wasn't worked on.

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/a...ock/001-19.jpg


http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/a...ock/006-14.jpg

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/a...tock/011-7.jpg

Txhillbilly 12-07-2013 03:27 PM

It doesn't take long to get the barrel channel enlarged,and by using a piece of pvc pipe,you can keep everything sanded down straight.
I also make sure the tang area of the action is free floated,but make it look like it's setting on the stock.

Before the tang area was worked on-
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/a...tock/015-4.jpg

After it was free floated-
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/a...0stock/017.jpg

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/a...tock/013-6.jpg

I also contoured the stock around the back of the action,and knocked off all the square edges.

Txhillbilly 12-07-2013 03:38 PM

The time consuming part of doing the stock is putting the finish on it.
I use Tung Oil for all of my stock finishes,and usually put 10-12 coats on them,so it takes 10-12 days to do the finish. I also buff the stock between coats with 0000 steel wool,and then wipe it down with a lint free cloth before putting on the next coat.
But when you get done,you will have a very nice looking stock,and you can also change how dull or shiny the finish is by the grade of steel wool you use between coats.

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps05e7c320.jpg

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps3321f813.jpg

I also did the finish on my Boyd's Evolution stock on my 10/22. This is the same color of stock that will be going on the 6.5-06.

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/a...gets/008-1.jpg

Axxe55 12-07-2013 05:44 PM

very nice job Hillbilly! very nice indeed. :D

i remember that 10/22!:p that is one sweet rimfire!


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:03 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.