Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > W.J. Jeffrey .333 Ex Take Down Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 04:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 476 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Default W.J. Jeffrey .333 Ex Take Down Rifle

This is a British W.J. Jeffrey .333 Express Take Down Rifle that I was told was mfg 1908. I have to actually get a letter for it in the near future. It has the old King St. London address. This company was started in the 1880's and is still in existence today at a different location.

These rifles are all special ordered for individuals and measured for a perfect fit. They aren't large enough to be used for the big 5, cause the .375 is the minimal caliber the govt's in Africa permit.These rifles were and still are, if could be found, very popular and effective on game like tigers in India and lions in Africa.

They believe that the German Mauser action was the very best receiver to be adapted to these rifles. Putting German and British artisans together can't be matched. The receiver, floor plate and trigger guard are fully hand engraved in the old style. There are four folding and one standing express rear sight. The front sight has a folding and removable dust cover. The beautifully grained English walnut stock with hand cut checkering with ebony for end tip is icing on the cake. The Lyman peep sight is dated 1894 and patented 1904 and is a pleasure to use, though ammo is expensive and very difficult to locate. Being a take down makes it very compact when traveling.

These rifles sell in the 5 figure range. but aren't necessarily for everyone. I'm fortunate to own it, but am unable to shoot it often for obvious reasons.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19557 Times on 11100 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

Gunsmoke, that is one beautiful rifle! truly a work of art. that is gunsmithing at it's finest there. thank you for sharing those pictures and information.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:20 AM   #3

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

That is a class act no doubt. That would be my elk and Moose rifle. The .333 is a fine Ctg.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #4

Liked 476 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Gunsmoke, that is one beautiful rifle! truly a work of art. that is gunsmithing at it's finest there. thank you for sharing those pictures and information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
That is a class act no doubt. That would be my elk and Moose rifle. The .333 is a fine Ctg.
I wanna thank the both of you.I inherited it and a number of other guns from my uncle who coddled me as a kid and thankfully turned me into a gun nut. I do love and feel blessed to have it, thank you'all again and more posts will follow. It's no fun having them if you can't share them with others that'll also appreciate them.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19557 Times on 11100 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
I wanna thank the both of you.I inherited it and a number of other guns from my uncle who coddled me as a kid and thankfully turned me into a gun nut. I do love and feel blessed to have it, thank you'all again and more posts will follow. It's no fun having them if you can't share them with others that'll also appreciate them.
Gunsmoke, i enjoy seeing some of the older and well made hunting rifles like that. brings back memories of looking at my father's American Rifleman magazines when i was much younger. i didn't know what many of them were, but i sure liked what i saw! and i still do. i enjoy seeing that old world craftsmanship in firearms. again thank you for sharing. i like seeing the firearms you post pictures of.