Very large game poached in south Africa AK-47
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Very large game poached in south Africa AK-47

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default Very large game poached in south Africa AK-47

cause not just rednecks in pickups use the AK-47 to hunt but wow,, guess you dont need a .700 nitro to drop large game

sks not an ak47 but same difference

its interesting how such a small round can be used so commonly to take such large game,, legal or not

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8962 Times on 3880 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

They are hunting elephant for ivory, rhino for horn. They chew the animal up with an AK, blind it, let it die of infection or extended blood loss. NOT a humane kill by any stretch of the imagination.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 05-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
They are hunting elephant for ivory, rhino for horn. They chew the animal up with an AK, blind it, let it die of infection or extended blood loss. NOT a humane kill by any stretch of the imagination.
as i do agree i would still think that a single round to the skull would penetrate inside of 50 yards

though you are right in how they are really doing it but damn,, with the access to so many other weapons its strange that the AK47 seems to be the weapon of choice,,, hell even the .308 FALs seen in the video would be more suited

Old 05-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6175 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 6554

Cheap AK's and SK's have flooded 3rd world countries like a tsunami from Russia, China and any other country with the capabilities to make a typewriter. Poverty doesn't often create full gun cabinets, weapons of War and weapons of Hunting are one in the same. Not unlike the old Kentucky Long Rifle Hay days, one gun picked off a Brit or a Buck, and everyone had one.

The scum doing these atrocities are also the same POS's that enslave and abuse their fellow countrymen because they have the guns and the general population doesnt. Kalashnikov's, knockoffs and variants are cheap, easy to manufacture and the raw materials needed are readily available.

Lastly, they nearly always fire no matter what! Throw them in the mud, use them as a wheel chock, whack trees with them, they still fire. I wish I could say that about my M16 A1, the second biggest POS ever created for a modern fighting force.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post

Lastly, they nearly always fire no matter what! Throw them in the mud, use them as a wheel chock, whack trees with them, they still fire. I wish I could say that about my M16 A1, the second biggest POS ever created for a modern fighting force.
a lil off topic but the HK 416 looks promising, if chambered in a caliper more suited for the task than the lil 5.56

oh as for cheap rifles im sure they could grab a mosin or PSL just as easily, then again still not as common as an AK either

Old 05-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #6

Liked 724 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 232

One of the most prolific elephant hunters used a 7mm Mauser(7x57).

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Nathantc Likes This 
Old 05-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2003 Times on 1186 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
One of the most prolific elephant hunters used a 7mm Mauser(7x57).
There is no comparison here! Bell did it he right way with one well placed bain shot.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

People Like This 
Old 05-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5828 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
I wish I could say that about my M16 A1, the second biggest POS ever created for a modern fighting force.

That has not been my experience with the Stoner AR platforms.

Most of the young vets I meet at the legion home think their M-4 was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

My military time was slightly before the M-16, but I've used the platform in LE and for target use, and I consider it the best weapon ever designed. Certainly a 10X improvement over my issued M-1 carbine

Winston Churchill

Last edited by locutus; 05-02-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
That has not been my experience with the Stoner AR platforms.

Most of the young vets I meet at the legion home think their M-4 was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

My military time was slightly before the M-16, but I've used the platform in LE and for target use, and I consider it the best weapon ever designed. Certainly a 10X improvement over my issued M-1 carbine
get it in very adverse conditions and see how long you say that with swamp water and mud getting into it,, you will change your mind

accurate yes
reliable yes only when cleaned
battle weapon no wont survive with lack of care

i have had custom $3k ar10 sets up and i have had $175 beat up ak47, and the ak will survive far better but the ar will work like a precision rifle
Old 05-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5828 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
accurate yes
reliable yes only when cleaned
battle weapon no wont survive with lack of care

i have had custom $3k ar10 sets up and i have had $175 beat up ak47, and the ak will survive far better but the ar will work like a precision rifle
I dunno. It's done a damn good job of winning battles for the last 50rs.

Winston Churchill

Last edited by winds-of-change; 05-02-2013 at 06:01 PM.
People Like This