Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > very close to buying a k98, couple questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 03:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default very close to buying a k98, couple questions

I am thinking about getting into the hobby of collecting WW2 stuff...dont ask why because I dont know other than i am a big history buff.

I have been thinking about getting a german manufactured k98 made during the war. I think i have found a decent place to find one through "mitchell's mausers" http://www.mauser.org/rifles/K98k%20German/index.htm

it looks like they have some decent ones starting at around 500$. Has anyone purchased or known anyone who has purchased through these guys before? Are the guns authentic? it seems too good to be true when the local stores are selling war year-german mausers for closer to 700$

Secondly, i have been thinking about possibly just selling my current deer rifle which is a very sweet marlin .30-06 and using the mauser instead. which means i would be getting one of the "sniper" mausers. my question is, can i change whatever scope they would ship the gun with or will whatever mounting system they use not take modern scopes? also, with the claw style scope mounts, can i still use the iron sights with the scope on the gun? it looks like I can from pictures, but I want to make sure.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

If you want a shooter k98 then get a Mitchell's if you want a historically accurate rifle that is true to the markings then don't get a Mitchell's. they are known for rebuilding rifles and adding marks to make them more valuable. Many of the k98 German mausers are really yugo mausers that have been remarked and sold as true German k98 WWII mausers. do a google search for mitchell's mausers and see what you find. there are some better deals to be had out there on more historically accurate rifles.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

really? ive been searching quite a bit, can you point me toward some historically accurate ones?

what about being able to use the iron sights with the scope mount?

Old 08-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #4

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

In my opinion mitchell's mausers are very overpriced rifles for what you are getting. Take your time and look around. You will find much better deals out there