Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Vented Barrel VS Muzzle Brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 02:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Vented Barrel VS Muzzle Brake

I have a H&R Handi Rifle S&W 500 Mag witch would be more effective at reducing recoil?

forumrunner_20130423_221142.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-24-2013, 03:57 AM   #2

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

I'm not an expert, but in my experience it seems like a "vented barrel" is intended for recoil reduction & a muzzle break is for flash reduction. Reduced recoil may be a side effect of the break, but not it's original purpose

Old 04-24-2013, 04:10 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20061 Times on 11410 Posts
Likes Given: 50601

another alterantive might be to check out some of the stock recoil reduction devices. to port the barrel is more than just drilling some holes. it has to be done properly to work and be effective. not the type of job for a DIYer.

check out Brownell's or MidwayUSA for stock recoil reduction devices. these you might be able to install yourself.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLET9992 View Post
I'm not an expert, but in my experience it seems like a "vented barrel" is intended for recoil reduction & a muzzle break is for flash reduction. Reduced recoil may be a side effect of the break, but not it's original purpose
Im not an expert either but i believe your talking about two separate devices. A muzzle break reduces recoil and muzzle jump. A flash hider which is similar in looks but different in function, it does exactly what you think, hides the flash. How ever a ported/vented barrel is for recoil.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1651 Times on 981 Posts
Likes Given: 810

I have several rifles with muzzle brakes installed and they WORK and work well IF you get the right ones, they are not all equal!!!!
I have the Hi-Tech brakes which are made from scratch for the individual rifle. The tolerances are tight and this why they work so well. If a brake is made properly it will vent of, at a 90 degree angle, most of the gases produced by the powder burning. These gases are traveling between 5000 and 6000 FPS when they leave the muzzle so it takes the 'sharp' (high velocity) recoil away and the rifle will 'push' you similar to the way a shotguns does.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!